H3-3D gimbal top yaw motor hits battery housing inside...

Reaction score
I am sorry if I am repeating something that was discovered already but... This is an IMPORTANT item and I didnt find it while searching...

PROBLEM: The H3-3D upper motor housing HITS THE BATTERY HOUSING when you slide the battery in (the camera jostles as you do this as a clue) and then it REMAINS in contact with the housing yet still spins albeit slightly stiffer than the other axes. Note that this is NOT saying it hits the PHANTOM hull as that was dealt with by cutting a round hole in the hull bottom to allow the motor top to stick up inside the P2 case a bit. I am talking about that very motor head which needs to rotate freely and which remains in physical contact with the forward end of the battery housing when its in place.

I added a 1/16" plexiglas spacer to the underside of the dampener mount and this fixed the problem. I cut it out to match the surface area that is impacted by the original mount so that there will be no vibration or resonance purchase by the mount. It is easy to consider using a small washer under each location but then you only have 4 points of contact and NO conductive dampening by the mount itself pressing against the hull and I dont know what that would do. I just wanted the entire structure to mimic the original contact as closely as possible.

Now, even though the motor would still spin when it was in contact with the battery housing, you can definitely feel the complete freedom of friction when you put the spacer in. NOW your upper motor wont burn out or hibernate on you!
Dont forget about this! The H3-3D is great, but... retrofitted for the Phantom...

Also when you put such a spacer in between the mount and the hull of the Phantom2, note that the screws will NO LONGER reach the threads with enough to matter... So, in your original box, are exactly FOUR slightly longer ones! Use those. All the same size and thankfully, its an allen wrench (hex key) head like the others. Let me know if you have questions. I have a lasercutter so I cut the spacer to match all holes etc... If you want or need one let me know. I would be happy to cut one out for you guys. Its a little give back for the help I have received here... ;)

Let me know if I am the only one whose motor hits the battery housing. Or used to that is... :)

-Marc Dantonio

PS: When cutting the Phantom2 hull I am guessing others will have said this but to anyone who hasnt cut into their hull yet but NEEDS to, I highly recommend NOT using a dremel. That would be fast and quick but it would ALSO run the risk of imparting vibrations to the circuit board and all solder connections that are very different frequencies than those that the Phantom2 was likely tested through. If there are any borderline solder joints on board, that will surely find them.. Just trying to help as you all have helped me.

Re: H3-3D gimbal top yaw motor hits battery housing inside..

This has been written up in several places already. While making sure the yaw motor can operate unhindered is important, it is equally if not more important to make sure the dampeners can compress without causing the yaw motor to make contact.

ianwood said:
This has been written up in several places already. While making sure the yaw motor can operate unhindered is important, it is equally if not more important to make sure the dampeners can compress without causing the yaw motor to make contact.

yes.... I figured, thats why I offered the disclaimer of course... I just didnt find it...

Gizmo3000 said:
Guessing you've got an older Phantom 2?
the newer Phantom 2's come with a larger hole cut out of the shell.

But if you've got an older Phantom 2, you could get this mounting adapter
http://www.uav-outlet.com/dji-h3-3d-spa ... tom-2-old/

Apparently I have an older Phantom2... Its great though. No issues. Just the loud humming in the gopro audio (I talked about this in another post) from the H3-3D gimbal when the phantom is operating...

Even the new P2's have the same Battery motor clearance issue.

Gizmo3000 said:

Its not the size of the hole its the distance from the top of the motor to the battery.

Tom

I just ordered my 3D to replace my broken ribbon 2D. I had no idea that you had to cut a hole in the bottom of my Phantom. Any suggestions on what tools to use or how to cut the hole. I guess maybe you remove the battery of course and possibly remove the top of the Phantom. I could see use a hole drilling bit in a drill and maybe drill from the inside of the phantom down.

I still didn't see a good remedy from keeping the yaw gimbal motor from touching the battery. Any good suggestions other then some washers to lower the 3D a little.

No Need to cut a hole.
Get the H3-3D Gimbal Spacer kit (DJI Part no. 10) It come with a spacer plate to clear the bottom of the P2 and also includes slightly longer landing skids so the GoPro clears the ground.

Attachments

• DJI_Phantom_2_H3_3D_Gimbal_Bracket__16401.1398684420.1000.1200.jpg
    DJI_Phantom_2_H3_3D_Gimbal_Bracket__16401.1398684420.1000.1200.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 835

I've posted this before but may be worthwhile reposting. To make sure the batteries didn't interfere with the yaw motor, I cut a notch out of the battery's plastic frame where it sits on top of the yaw motor. I used a Dremel to do this VERY CAREFULLY so as not to touch the battery itself. If you cut into the battery even slightly, it becomes a fire hazard so proceed at your own risk!

battery-h33d-mod.jpg

Xrover said:
No Need to cut a hole.
Get the H3-3D Gimbal Spacer kit (DJI Part no. 10) It come with a spacer plate to clear the bottom of the P2 and also includes slightly longer landing skids so the GoPro clears the ground.

Do you have a link to where to buy this bag o parts?

Xrover said:
I got mine from https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/DJI_H33DP10_p/dji-h33dp10.htm
As of 3 days ago they had 10 in stock.
Wonderful. Have you installed and used this kit yet. I couldn't believe the price of $15 which also includes new longer legs to keep the camera off the ground. I ordered my 3D to replace my broken 2D. It should be here in a few days. I'm going to test everything out on my vacation down on a river in the Ozarks in a couple weeks. This time, I'm going to make sure I stay clear of tree limbs.

I just used the spacer as I already have the taller Skids. I had also made a plastic spacer plate prior. I tried the new spacer which fits and works fine.

fxmodels said:
Gizmo3000 said:

Apparently I have an older Phantom2... Its great though. No issues. Just the loud humming in the gopro audio (I talked about this in another post) from the H3-3D gimbal when the phantom is operating...

I always thought the audio in a video that is recorded during a flight is useless anyway from the propeller motors noise. Besides, what audio would you be interested in from a recorded flight?

Re: H3-3D gimbal top yaw motor hits battery hous

$40 postage to Australia. eeeeeeeek. what a joke!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Fiend v1.2.7.

I did the same thing as Ianwood - gimbal is free flowing perfectly now.

Long discussion on this topic.

In my opinion this should be made a sticky. :!: :?: I think many of the problems people are reporting with the gimbal are directly related to this issue and it is easily corrected.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl