H3-3D Gimbal leveling issue

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum as well as new to UAV's.

I have a new P2 H3-3D with the most recent firmware updates. I am using Mac... When going through the powering up sequence, the gimbal motor to the left of the gopro hits the ground a couple of times and jerks left/right up/down almost violently. Then the camera/gimbal stabilizes. When in flight, if I go from a hover to a rotation to the left or right, the camera becomes not level, until I rotate the P2 the opposite direction, at which point it levels again. It does not stay level during fight! The gimbal also makes a very wienie noise when going through those motions.

I have handheld gimbals and have little experience balancing those, but I am not sure what the proper procedure is to balance the H3-3D.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the insight!

Also, I noticed on the DJI support page for the P2, that there is an H3-3D assistant but only for windows. Is this something that I need to install on a PC to help configure the H3-3D or does the Mac RC and P2 assistant accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for your time!!!

truegrass said:

I have a new P2 H3-3D with the most recent firmware updates. I am using Mac... When going through the powering up sequence, the gimbal motor to the left of the gopro hits the ground a couple of times and jerks left/right up/down almost violently. Then the camera/gimbal stabilizes. When in flight, if I go from a hover to a rotation to the left or right, the camera becomes not level, until I rotate the P2 the opposite direction, at which point it levels again. It does not stay level during fight! The gimbal also makes a very wienie noise when going through those motions.

I have handheld gimbals and have little experience balancing those, but I am not sure what the proper procedure is to balance the H3-3D.

Also, I noticed on the DJI support page for the P2, that there is an H3-3D assistant but only for windows. Is this something that I need to install on a PC to help configure the H3-3D or does the Mac RC and P2 assistant accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for your time!!!

Any recent crashes? Or is this a fresh install (meaning it's never worked right?)

Which dampners are you using? (white ones? Black ones?) I have found the black dampners tend to let the camera hang a bit too low allowing for some interference.

If you've crashed - even a minor one - it is super easy to bend the aluminum gimbal frame. The good news is... it's also relatively easy to bend it back

I do not recall any crashes. I will check the frame when I get home this evening. I have only flown it about 8 times. It worked fine before, but the past 2 fights is when I noticed the change. Hopefully it is the gimbal frame, that sounds like an easy fix.

I am using the white dampeners, not the black.

Thanks for the info Buckaye!!!

Buckaye said:
truegrass said:

Thanks for your time!!!

Any recent crashes? Or is this a fresh install (meaning it's never worked right?)

Which dampners are you using? (white ones? Black ones?) I have found the black dampners tend to let the camera hang a bit too low allowing for some interference.

If you've crashed - even a minor one - it is super easy to bend the aluminum gimbal frame. The good news is... it's also relatively easy to bend it back

I checked the Gimbal plate... One of the arms appeared to be a little off. I adjusted the gimbal plate. I then powered up the phantom while facing North (as some have said that this could help with gimbal issues). I then calibrated the compass.... While in flight if I adjust the yaw, the gimbal seems to over-correct and the gopro tilts to the side (becoming not level).

I am able to recreate the problem with the phantom just powered up and holding in my hands (blades taken off and motors not engaged). When I rotate the P2 (yaw) the gimbal motors make a grinding noise... I can not hear this while in flight due to the noise from normal flight. However, when I am flying, if I adjust the yaw rapidly to both sides, it sounds like R2D2 from star wars.

Any ideas on what would be causing this?

While I haven't experienced this with my Zenmuse [yet. I just installed it and haven't flown], this type of behavior has happened with other gimbals I've had. I owned a Tarot 2D and a cheap GoodLuckBuy one. Both of those, if not properly calibrated would exhibit this kind of behavior. I would have to do a six point calibration to fix the issue with the Tarot.

According to this, though, you cannot calibrate the gimbal:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/H3-3D-Precautions

Perhaps you need to do an advanced calibration of your P2?

Do you have a filter or anything on your camera that would adjust the weight?

Hope this helps.

truegrass said:
I have uploaded a video of the issue to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqPPMGwKCg

yeah that's messed up in a way I haven't seen it before... it almost looks as if it is doing exactly the opposite of what it should be doing. You're up to date on all firmware? If this is a new purchase I would contact your seller. something is definitely not working correctly,

Buckaye said:
truegrass said:
I have uploaded a video of the issue to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqPPMGwKCg

yeah that's messed up in a way I haven't seen it before... it almost looks as if it is doing exactly the opposite of what it should be doing. You're up to date on all firmware? If this is a new purchase I would contact your seller. something is definitely not working correctly,

Yeah, this is not right! I bought direct from DJI. I contacted them today. They said to send the gimbal in with a 4 week turn around :(

I hope they get it right!

Go into Naza and run an Advanced IMU Calibration. On the Advanced page(I think), or maybe it's Tools. You will see "basic Cal"....and a tab for Advanced. Run the advanced calibration with the aircraft on a perfectly flat surface.
you may get a warning message the the FC/IMU is too warm-just click OK and let it continue. When finished, you will see a green check mark.
Also-make sure on the gimbal page, that FPV mode is un-checked. tilt speed of 5 or 6 works the best.

Power off.
Go out to your favorite flying field, power on the aircraft-wait for rapid green flashes. make sure you're on a level surface.
Flip from GPS to Atti about 6 times-stopping in GPS when you get a solid yellow light. Calibrate compass. Hold aircraft by arms, level with the surface and turn it 360 degree's, by grabbing each arm, as you turn it-so you're rotating the aircraft in a small circle. When you see solid green, point the aircraft nose down, and rotate in the same direction, 360 degree's until you see the LED's start to flash.
Power off-then back on. Wait for many flashes of green....then go fly.

If you still have the issue after all that-send it back.

I'm new to UAV's and this forum and am having this issue as well. The H3-3D on my P2 is tilted to the left upon start up and during flight. I've tried the calibration in the assistant software but it didn't work. I called and am being told I will have to send it back to either DJI or UAVDirect (who it was purchased from) for repair. My question is, Why is this not something fixable by us, the consumer, through software or mechanical means? I did have a small crash (about 10feet up and hit a tree limb on my FIRST flight...fell onto the grass pretty hard), and the left arm "looked" slightly bent but I straightened it back out and it appears to be straight. My next question is, would it be worth my time to disassemble the gimbal to the point of being able to measure the "holding plate" to ensure it is absolutely level? Or should I just send it back?

Send it back.
If you take it apart, there is no warranty. Most likely it was damaged in the crash, and they will need to replace parts...and, because it was crashed, they may not cover all the parts or labor.
Best advise is to contact your dealer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl