H3-3D Gimbal Installation Guide

OI Photography said:
Ian, regarding the method you used to balance the gimbal...couldn't you make the length of it much shorter by simply increasing the weight on the end? Same principle as when balancing props with tape; a smaller piece closer to the tip will have the same effect as a larger piece closer to the hub. I just figured making that shorter might make the whole thing less cumbersome.

Exactly. It's a preference. It doesn't make contact in flight where I have it. I prefer it only because it's less weight and I can remove it easily when I don't use the ND. I think the bend is important and gives a more even weight shift when tilting forward.

Xrover said:
I just picked up a pack of non magnetic snap apart weights from a hobby store. They are flat and have peel and stick backing. They have different small sizes in the pack. Worked perfectly!

Can you provide more info on this? I googled it but only came up with fishing gear.. :)

@Xrover - Could you please give more info and possible photos of your balancing method. Thanks!

landonkk said:
Xrover said:
I just picked up a pack of non magnetic snap apart weights from a hobby store. They are flat and have peel and stick backing. They have different small sizes in the pack. Worked perfectly!

Can you provide more info on this? I googled it but only came up with fishing gear.. :)

+1 please! Got the hole cut for the gimbal but hesitant to use the polar nd without properly balancing. I like Ianwoods method but if theres another method that works i'd love to know more.

Awesome guide!

Hey, I liked how your FPV is set up. May I ask where you got that clear straw extension thing? I want my Phantom to look like that because I'm running out of room to put stuff on on the belly of my Phantom. :lol:

UrAwFuL said:
Awesome guide!

Hey, I liked how your FPV is set up. May I ask where you got that clear straw extension thing? I want my Phantom to look like that because I'm running out of room to put stuff on on the belly of my Phantom. :lol:

If you mean this:

ribbon-cable-routing.jpg

Those are nylon standoffs with a P1 FPV mount.

Xrover said:
Instead of using an ND Filter, Why not turn on Pro Tune and limit your iso to 400 instead of the default 6400?
I haven't tested it but a low ISO=Slower Shutter Speed.
I have my GoPro setup like this, I still get jello with my 3D in sunlight.

Ian, looks like your Polar Pro is slightly different to mine. I don't suppose you know how much your counterbalance weights? I've balanced mine up, but really concerned that 21g is too much weight. Would appreciate your thoughts: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15402

I don't know how much it weighs. Depending on how long the arm is, the weight will likely be less.

ianwood said:
I think the bend is important and gives a more even weight shift when tilting forward.

That does make sense, and yeah if you have yours dialed in just right there's no sense in messing with it. I'm just thinking about my options if/when I get an H3-3D, esp since I've gotten used to using the polar pro ND filter a lot.

britchris1 said:
Guy on another forum came up with a genius solution - cut out the polarpro nd filter paper and put it inside the standard gopro lens cover http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/pro ... ens-covers which means you dont have to balance anything - that lens cover is so light it doesnt even register.
The Polar Pro filters are made with glass. I've seen that mod using ND gel, has downsides - image clarity and vignetting.

Agree. Using ND gels won't get the same results as glass. Plus the counterbalance is pretty simple and it works.

shartlza said:
Does any one elses gimbal not seem balanced when off? I got the v1 from B&H and after installing i noticed when it is off it always falls to the pitch motor side. How is everyone elses? My install viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15559 and you can see the last picture the side it falls to.

Yes, mine does also. They all seem to have a slight hang. It's notthing to worry about.

What's the benefits of this mod as opposed to just getting the adapter and the longer landing gears? I'm curious.

Sent from my iPhern

dorianclive said:
What's the benefits of this mod as opposed to just getting the adapter and the longer landing gears? I'm curious.
No benefits, just more the fact that kit hasn't be available to buy (still hasn't shipped yet to my knowledge) and this has been the only way to get it installed to an original P2.

Jaybee said:
dorianclive said:
No benefits, just more the fact that kit hasn't be available to buy (still hasn't shipped yet to my knowledge) and this has been the only way to get it installed to an original P2.

Makes total sense. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhern

Less stuff = less weight and less to go wrong. Who knows if the adapter helps or hinders the jello factor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik