H3-3D Gimbal for both GoPro 3 and 4

Reaction score
I don't think this has come up yet so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas>
- old model H3-3D with composite GoPro connector
- want to be able to use both GP3BE and GP4

Back in the day when I didn't understand FPV much, I bought a GoPro to ImmersionRC micro USB adapter cable. I didn't know I could get the FPV from the inner electronics.
Would I be able to use that cable to make a hybrid that would make the gimbal adoptable for both? I understand power should only be taken from the composite connector.

FEwh94Rl.jpg

hey mate, when you say "composite connector" do you mean the rear port on the GoPro, aka the "30 pin" aka "hero port" ? I'm going to assume yes for the rest of this post, because the only other connectors are miniHDMI and USB.

So it's actually a GoPro problem, for some reason the Hero3 will output video to the rear port in a Zenmuse gimbal, but the Hero4 won't. So yea if you want your gimbal to just easily take a HEro3 or 4 you need to "mod" it to the new USB style connector.
That cable you pictured (assuming the pinout is correct) would take video straight from the gopro to your video transmitter. The only "disadvantage" would be that the gopro wouldn't be receiving any power so it would run off battery. I say "disadvantage" in quotes because a lot of people are saying they get video interference from the power and are modding their new style H3-3D ribbon cables to suppress the power feed and only get video. Is this the reason for your statement "power should only be taken from the composite connector" ? remember you can always forego providing the gopro power at all and just let it run from battery. I've done this before

So it's up to you... use that cable and go straight to the VTx
or
Mod your H3-3D to the USB connector and risk video interference and having to cover pins to suppress power delivery anyway.

Which way do you want to go? If you want to go the H3-3D route I can show you some old threads with pictures and help you mod over to the USB port but I think you're already on the right track, just go straight from the GoPro's USB to your VTx and keep your gopro charged or spare batteries around.
That statement is based on the fact that you have NOT mentioned an iOSD Mini. If you want to run an iOSD Mini in the mix then you will indeed want to do the H3-3D mod so you can use a plug and play cable inside the Phantom to link it all together

Correct, by composite I meant the "backpack" connector.
Yeah, I have iOSD too.
Appreciate your input.

Fyod said:
Correct, by composite I meant the "backpack" connector.
Yeah, I have iOSD too.
Appreciate your input.

ok got it, so you need to go the gimbal route. Exactly which video transmitter do you have? Do you already have the plug-and-play iOSD cable for it?

Please know that I have never personally worked on a H3-3D version 1, so double check my suggestions before you disconnect anything. Basically if your gimbal has the below style connector, then you're good to go.
0bL26TRl.jpg

So take the sticker off the back of your gimbal (if there is one) and look at the connector. I'm not sure if your gimbal has these bits at all?
file.php

When doing this mod the other direction (usb to hero port) I had to remove those bits.

anyway let us know if you can locate that connector in the first picture. If so, there's a small ribbon that goes from the Hero (30 pin) port to that plug. If so, you should only need a part like this to replace the 30-pin connector and ribbon, with the usb plug and ribbon

after that, your H3-3D should be bringing video back to the Phantom mainboard and you can use a plug and play cable to connect the mainboard, iOSD Mini, and VTx. which cable exactly depends if you have an ImmersionRC or Boscam/Skytech (first question in this post)

Sorry I forgot to specify that I have the Immersion 600mW.
I guess I could fully convert to USB and use it for both GP3 and GP4. I expect I will prefer the 4, although it may happen that I would need to use the 3 instead.
I my memory serves correctly, I would bypass the current configuration (GoPro -> Gimbal -> Board -> iOSD -> VTx) by going GoPro -> iOSD -> VTx.
Power isn't much of an issue since I regularly prepare GoPro batteries etc. before flight.
Is that assumption correct?

Why is it that the GoPro 4 doesn't work?
I was surprised to find that the old LCD backpacks for GP3 work fine on the 4. Isn't it virtually the same video out?

Fyod said:
Sorry I forgot to specify that I have the Immersion 600mW.
I guess I could fully convert to USB and use it for both GP3 and GP4. I expect I will prefer the 4, although it may happen that I would need to use the 3 instead.
I my memory serves correctly, I would bypass the current configuration (GoPro -> Gimbal -> Board -> iOSD -> VTx) by going GoPro -> iOSD -> VTx.
Power isn't much of an issue since I regularly prepare GoPro batteries etc. before flight.
Is that assumption correct?

the part I linked to previously and what I described you doing would theoretically NOT "bypass" the gimbal, merely replace how exactly the gimbal gets the video feed (usb vs 30-pin). You could theoretically bypass the gimbal entirely but you'll have to solder your own cables, which isn't that hard either.

You're correct about the rear port... I don't know why exactly the Hero4 doesn't output video to the 30-pin on a Zenmuse gimbal, as you say it does to other devices like the official LCD gopro backpack. I remember someone a month or 2 ago post that they had contacted GoPro about it and they were working on it, but I never saw an actual reason or if will be easily "fixed".

I decided to order the "upgrade" cable since its a couple bucks.
But I hope they resolve this and I can put the 30pin back in.

I'm surprised noone has looked into the new/old pin routing. If it really is just a switched ground, it could just be a matter of doing a small hack.
It can't be much else, otherwise the LCD backpack wouldn't work.

I agree... it should just work and this is pure speculation but I think maybe GoPro is putting in some sort of "security" feature so that only "authorized" or "official" peripherals can pull video from that rear port.
or it could be something completely different I really have no idea

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic