H3-3D frustrations

Reaction score
I've been flying with a Hero 3 Black for weeks using a Shapeways H3-3D specific clip to replace the stock bracket. Everything has been smooth with this setup.

I recently picked up a Hero 3+ Black, but now the motors sound like they're overworking. With the 3 Black, the gimbal stays balanced when off. With the 3+ Black, the gimbal leans left (toward the motor). I've tried swapping batteries (the 3 has a 1050 mah lithium ion and the 3+ has a 1180 mah lithium polymer), thinking maybe the batteries are different weights. That didn't help. With either battery, the H3-3D freaks out with the 3+ Black.

So then I swapped the Shapeways clip for the original stock bracket (the one that needs to be screwed in) and still, the H3-3D freaks out. There's no twitching and the gimbal seems to stabilize fine, but it's just plain loud. The motors don't sound happy.

I thought the H3-3D is suppose to work with both the 3 and 3+, no? I know a bunch of people here are using both just fine.

I've done an advanced IMU calibration. Didn't fix it.

Ideas?

Velcro the back of the h33d gopro mount and place a 5 cent piece to counter.

Just need to remember, even though it may weigh the same, the centre of gravity will be different from the 3 and 3+

Mako79 said:

Just need to remember, even though it may weigh the same, the centre of gravity will be different from the 3 and 3+
I'll give that shot.

Weight and balance seem to be an interesting issue. With the Hero 3 Black, I could run it naked or with a BlurFix filter, Shapways clip or stock bracket. Never an issue. Motors were always fairly quiet. I could tell they were on, but they didn't sound stressed.

Put the Hero 3+ Black on and wham, H3-3D is not happy. Naked, filter, Shapeways clip, stock bracket.

You'd think adding a BlurFix to the Hero 3 would throw it off balance, yet the H3-3D handles it fine. Yet a naked Hero 3+? Nope.

Mako79 said:

So I didn't have any Velcro on hand, nor a nickel for that matter (I use debit and credit cards, rarely cash). What I ended up doing was folding up some gaffer tape and wedging it in the place holder in the back.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj