Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

H3-3D frustrations

Discussion in 'Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D GoPro Gimbal' started by dptcalvin, Jan 24, 2015.

1. dptcalvin

I've been flying with a Hero 3 Black for weeks using a Shapeways H3-3D specific clip to replace the stock bracket. Everything has been smooth with this setup.

I recently picked up a Hero 3+ Black, but now the motors sound like they're overworking. With the 3 Black, the gimbal stays balanced when off. With the 3+ Black, the gimbal leans left (toward the motor). I've tried swapping batteries (the 3 has a 1050 mah lithium ion and the 3+ has a 1180 mah lithium polymer), thinking maybe the batteries are different weights. That didn't help. With either battery, the H3-3D freaks out with the 3+ Black.

So then I swapped the Shapeways clip for the original stock bracket (the one that needs to be screwed in) and still, the H3-3D freaks out. There's no twitching and the gimbal seems to stabilize fine, but it's just plain loud. The motors don't sound happy.

I thought the H3-3D is suppose to work with both the 3 and 3+, no? I know a bunch of people here are using both just fine.

I've done an advanced IMU calibration. Didn't fix it.

Ideas?

2. Mako79

Velcro the back of the h33d gopro mount and place a 5 cent piece to counter.

Just need to remember, even though it may weigh the same, the centre of gravity will be different from the 3 and 3+

3. dptcalvin

I'll give that shot.

Weight and balance seem to be an interesting issue. With the Hero 3 Black, I could run it naked or with a BlurFix filter, Shapways clip or stock bracket. Never an issue. Motors were always fairly quiet. I could tell they were on, but they didn't sound stressed.

Put the Hero 3+ Black on and wham, H3-3D is not happy. Naked, filter, Shapeways clip, stock bracket.

You'd think adding a BlurFix to the Hero 3 would throw it off balance, yet the H3-3D handles it fine. Yet a naked Hero 3+? Nope.

4. dptcalvin

So I didn't have any Velcro on hand, nor a nickel for that matter (I use debit and credit cards, rarely cash). What I ended up doing was folding up some gaffer tape and wedging it in the place holder in the back.