Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

H3-3D as hand held gimbal?

Discussion in 'Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D GoPro Gimbal' started by Gore, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Gore

Hello Phantom Pilots,
    First post here so I hope this has not yet been addressed ( a search did not yield any results). I have a Phantom 2 V1 with the Zenmuse H3-3D and I would like to use just the gimbal without the drone for hand operated shooting. Are there any kits/adapters that are made to support this? In not, what kind of power pack can I use to supply power to a homemade handle/frame.

Thanks in advance.

2. loganboyd

I belive the gimbal does NOT have its own IMU and uses the Naza M. It would not know how to compensate for motion without this.
    If you bought this as a standalone gimbal and it came with an IMU than maybe you could make it work.

3. Gore

thank you for the reply, I actually have an entire phantom worth of spare parts to play with but what is an IMU? sorry for my ignorance but i dont understand this

nvm i can look thi sup

4. Gore

5. pucka.costello

I know it's a tad cumbersome but the easiest thing to do would be to hold the drone and film with it switched on,?

6. Gore

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm thinking that holding the drone and all may be the way to go.

7. loganboyd

I think i saw somewhere that a company was making a handle that would snap onto the Phantom so that you could do exactly this and use it is a stabilized gimbal for your GoPro.

8. CityZen

Here's what you do:
    1. Buy a crashed P2 with a broken arm.
    2. Unsolder and remove all the ESCs + motors.
    3. Cut off all the arms.
    4. Add the gimbal, camera, etc.
    5. Add a handle.
    6. Go have fun.

Seriously, though, I think getting a cheap Chinese gimbal would be a better route to go.
    In fact, you can get them in hand-held versions already, like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifly-Funny...926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ece62fa6

You can go even cheaper if you start with a copter-mounted gimbal and modify it yourself. Start with something like:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTF-CNC-ALU...461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4db06a45
    Then add a joystick input:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-Axis-Br...527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5418a41d97
    Then all you need is a battery and a handle to hold it all together.