Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

H3-3D and Lightbridge, serious concern!

Discussion in 'DJI Lightbridge' started by shaunmed, May 24, 2014.

1. shaunmed

I have a P2 H3-2D with Lightbridge and I'm thinking of upgrading to the H3-3D but I have some serious concerns.

When you look at DJI videos regarding the H3-3D and Lightbridge (2 separate videos) it shows how wide the Micro-USB and Mini-HDMI plugs are as compared to the proximity of the corresponding ports on the GoPro (see below pictures).

How can you connect both plugs when each of them encroach on the others space?

H3-3D to Gopro Micro-USB
    [​IMG]

Lightbridge to GoPro Mini-HDMI
    [​IMG]

2. Tahoe Ed

You don't. When you plug in the HDMI plug you remove the USB plug. The GOPro will not charge unless the USB port is connected. This is not the case with the v1.0 only the v1.1 H3-3D.

3. shaunmed

My understanding is that:

1. You need to have HDMI plugged in for Lightbridge to work.

2. You need USB pluggged in for H3-3D v1.1 to charge the Gopro (but is otherwise not necessary)

so therefore you cannot use the H3-3D v1.1 to charge your Gopro if you are using Lightbridge?

If this is so, why is DJI saying that H3-3D v1.1 is "designed for the Lightbridge" if v1.0 did the same job and allowed charging?

4. sar104

Good luck getting an answer to that one. The evidence, including an email from DJI to another poster (not that those can be trusted either) suggests that the change was made due to lack of availability of the panel connectors, which could also read "lack of licensing of the panel connectors", and it clearly had nothing to do with increasing LB compatibility since it obviously reduced it. It's actually somewhat offensive that they tried to sell that story at all.

I'm happy to have a 1.0, and I would not consider buying another 3D at this time since the current design is so obviously a half-assed solution to a different problem. I would expect the next iteration to restore the panel connector and provide HDMI out through the gimbal slip rings, which is what the current design should have been.

5. OI Photography

Does the rear port output in HD?

6. shaunmed

no, which is why it worked with standard analog video transmitters.

7. sar104

Actually according to the connector specs, the rear connector does output HDMI.

8. The Editor

Yes - it always has been able to. The rear connector can supply both SD and HD video out utilizing pins 1 thru 3. By pulling pin 20 low component (HD) video is possible. There is NO issue supplying HD video AND charging the GoPro simultaneously.

The stories that DJI are feeding customers are total crap and a pack of lies. The changes to v1.1 have NOTHING to do with Lightbridge compatability.

I really gets my goat when a company doesn't have the balls to tell their customers the truth and then treat them like idiots by giving them a daft 'technical' reason that holds no water whatsoever.

We are being lied to - Period !

9. ddecuba

The LB HDMI connector is longer, this way it sits higher then the USB connector. Plug the USB in 1st, then HDMI over top.

10. lucid111

I can confirm too that both the USB and HDMI are able to be plugged in simultaneously as the HDMI connecter is raised higher than the USB plug so they don't have any overlap issue.

11. shaunmed

thats pretty interesting but does the extra weight effect the gimbal function/ overheat motors?

12. TexasHighDef

One other option is to take the GoPro plug off of your 2D and put it on your 3D like I did.
    Here is a post about it.
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16890

13. trunovroman

Do you have Lightbridge which connected to Zenmuse H3-3D v1.0? Is it work correct?

14. sar104

Yes - works perfectly.

15. shaunmed

I've been calling around trying to get a V1.0 but most retailers are clueless as to the fact that there even was 2 different versions. Any suggestions where I might want to try purchasing?

16. sar104

I somehow doubt whether there are any more of these available. It's been a while since DJI changed the design.