H265 on Mac?

Reaction score
I have the latest and greatest MacBook Pro.... I shot a whole day in H265.... can't view them. Wowwwww

Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried premiere and iMovie....

This is what I have been using.

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 9.58.32 PM.png

Reactions: maseman88
h.265 will be higher quality, but the conversion to ProRes is pretty good.

Last edited:
I'm lost.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.09.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.09.07 PM.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 521
What editing software do you have access to? Premiere CC15 and later on Mac support H265 (also sometimes referred to as HEVC). Your system will probably not be able to playback native H265 files without skipping frames though. Transcoding to ProRes is fine, note that you want to keep the same frame rate and frame size as what was shot and different flavors of ProRes have different quality levels in order from lowest to highest:
  • ProRes 422 Proxy.
  • ProRes 422 LT.
  • ProRes 422.
  • ProRes 422 HQ.
  • ProRes 4444.
Note that file size increases along with quality (of course). To maintain the highest quality of the H265 I would probably choose 422 or 422HQ. Once I get some testing done I will have a better sense of that.
Hope sheds some light...

h.265 will be higher quality, but ProRes is pretty good.

H.265 will provide higher quality for a given compression. It uses more sophisticated compression capabilities. ProRes will offer less compression but has quality levels up to a nearly lossless output that will far exceed that of H.265.

What editing software do you have access to? Premiere CC15 and later on Mac support H265 (also sometimes referred to as HEVC). Your system will probably not be able to playback native H265 files without skipping frames though. Transcoding to ProRes is fine, note that you want to keep the same frame rate and frame size as what was shot and different flavors of ProRes have different quality levels in order from lowest to highest:
  • ProRes 422 Proxy.
  • ProRes 422 LT.
  • ProRes 422.
  • ProRes 422 HQ.
  • ProRes 4444.
Note that file size increases along with quality (of course). To maintain the highest quality of the H265 I would probably choose 422 or 422HQ. Once I get some testing done I will have a better sense of that.
Hope sheds some light...

H265 isn't supported by Mac yet....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...support_in_fcp_x_and_quicktime/?client=safari

I know this was 11 months ago but still don't see anything telling me it will work.

To be honest, you're better off shooting in h.264 if you're editing on a mac (especially a macbook).

Final Cut Pro X and Davinci Resolve don't support native h.265 file. Adobe Premiere does, but the playback and scrubbing is very choppy on 4k files even on top-end CPUs since Premiere doesn't use hardware acceleration. Contrast this with FCPX's handling of h.264 footage, which is hardware accelerated, and impressively smooth. So you're going to end up having to transcode to a different format like Prores or Cineform regardless, or at the very least create proxies for editing.

The quality difference between h.264 and h.265 on the Phantom 4 Pro isn't that great based on my testing, and whatever quality difference you may gain by shooting in h.265 will be mostly negated by having to then convert the footage to Prores or another editing format.

Not to mention that a prores 422 file will end about 8 times the size of the h.265/h.264 file, so a nightmare for archiving purposes.

Until Mac OS and the editing software gets hardware-accelerated decoding for h.265 like they currently have for h.264, your life is going to be a heck of a lot simpler using h.264 (and FCPX).

Reactions: Dome
Where you will notice a difference between h264 and h265 is in video where there is a lot of movement or motion, like a river for example. I use premiere pro cc. Super easy as it automatically creates proxys when you import them to a project and auto links and uses the proxys in your project.

I have same issue. Just bought new Macbook pro and cant open h265 files. Just shoot 4k 60fps in H264. I imagine an update will be released in 2017.

Try this: When selecting H.265 codec, change your wrapper to .mp4 instead of .mov.

See if that doesn't solve your problems with the Mac. ;)

Try this: When selecting H.265 codec, change your wrapper to .mp4 instead of .mov.

See if that doesn't solve your problems with the Mac. ;)
This solves problems with Premiere Pro but doesn't change anything else afaik

H.265 plays back at about 40% speed on my Win 10 PC when using Windows Media Player, but within PP 2017 I can usually playback at full resolution without huge problems. It will sometimes start to stutter, but if I pause for a second or two then resume it's usually OK. When rendering with the generally modest effects I tend to use the render time will tend to be 1.5 to 2.2 times the length of the video -- the longer times due to higher bitrate in the rendered file.

I do hope everyone gets on board with H.265 soon and it's a shame M$ is still out to lunch with native playback at this day and age.

Brian

So what does this do to the file? I'm not experienced with this stuff that much so I don't know what that setting is. Will it reduce the overall quality?

H265 at 100 Mb/s bitrate is like H.264 at 200 Mb/s but yes, its a ******* hassle.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl