H.265 dropping frames?

Reaction score
I've seen a defect in recorded H.265 video on a few occasions now, and that is a dropping of maybe 10-15 frames in the middle of a recording. No glitch or breakup, just a 'jump' where some number of frames are omitted. I have checked the original files on the SD card so it's not a file copy issue, and I don't think it's an issue with the SD card since it's a SanDisk Extreme U3/V30 card which should be plenty fast enough. It's also definitely not playback issue as the problem is in exactly the same place in the file every time on multiple machines, and the rest of the file plays flawlessly.

It seems to occur after the recording auto-resumes after the 4 GB file size limit is reached, that is recording resumes normally and then some amount of time into the clip the frame drop occurs, sometimes within the first few seconds and sometimes further (even minutes further) into the clip. I'm not at all certain it's really related to recording resumption, but I think the times I've seen it have been on such recordings. Operation is completely normal otherwise. I haven't noticed it on H.264 but I haven't tested thoroughly.

Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
I've seen a defect in recorded H.265 video on a few occasions now, and that is a dropping of maybe 10-15 frames in the middle of a recording. No glitch or breakup, just a 'jump' where some number of frames are omitted. I have checked the original files on the SD card so it's not a file copy issue, and I don't think it's an issue with the SD card since it's a SanDisk Extreme U3/V30 card which should be plenty fast enough. It's also definitely not playback issue as the problem is in exactly the same place in the file every time on multiple machines, and the rest of the file plays flawlessly.

It seems to occur after the recording auto-resumes after the 4 GB file size limit is reached, that is recording resumes normally and then some amount of time into the clip the frame drop occurs, sometimes within the first few seconds and sometimes further (even minutes further) into the clip. I'm not at all certain it's really related to recording resumption, but I think the times I've seen it have been on such recordings. Operation is completely normal otherwise. I haven't noticed it on H.264 but I haven't tested thoroughly.

Has anyone else seen this?
Thats not good for sure smiller. But are you using h265 because it's that much better or just trying to get the absolute best out of your video? In other words is it worth trying to get this h265 format to work or should most of us just be ok with h264?

I'm using H.265 because it's theoretically better guess, not certain how often I'd really see a difference. But regardless it should work and I'm just trying to see if anyone else has noticed this issue. I guess I'll set up indoors and see if I can find a way to duplicate it at will. It's just difficult because I need constant movement in the scene in order to notice the dropped frames.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers