H.265 broken in Premiere Pro on OSX?

Reaction score
Does it work for anyone of you? It used to work for me a couple of weeks ago, now nothing. Im using a legal, paid student version. Says codec unsupported.

I transcode to prores (normal level) myself. Disadavantage is huge files, advantages are compability with most editors and also very cpu-friendly files.

ffmpeg is free, scriptable and can be used on all platforms.

for reference, the parameters I use (windows):

ffmpeg.exe -i file.mp4 -c:v prores_ks -profile:v standard -qscale:v 4 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -colorspace bt709 -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -c:a pcm_s16le -chunk_size 96K "file_pres.mov"

Transcoding to intermediate files is a good solution to H.265 codec incompatibility, and also as mentioned above is much less CPU intensive when using your editing application, the only price is the large size of the intermediate files. Stick to standard ProRes, it's plenty good enough and files won't be too huge.

Rocky Mountains Media Converter is an excellent free tool for transcoding from H.265 to ProRes.

Reactions: Dronefriend
Many thanks smiller!

Well, as far as we know, the H.265 standard simply has not yet been adopted by Adobe or any other software industry leaders. To work H.265/HEVC in Adobe Premiere Pro, you'll need to convert H.265 video files to something editable like MPEG-2 for Premiere Pro.

Well, as far as we know, the H.265 standard simply has not yet been adopted by Adobe or any other software industry leaders. To work H.265/HEVC in Adobe Premiere Pro, you'll need to convert H.265 video files to something editable like MPEG-2 for Premiere Pro.

I've been shooting in H.265 since shortly after receiving the P4P last December. I have a good many videos posted on Youtube -- all of them edited using Premiere Pro.

H.265 is still spotty as far as compatibility with hardware and software but that should change as more people buy/build PC's with newer CPU's or GPU's. To make Premiere Pro work with H.265 using Windows you need to make sure the file format is mp4.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav