Gyro mode and yaw control?

Reaction score
Howdy...

I've used the "gyro" mode of the vision app to control the pitch of the camera by tilting my phone. But I've seen people post that it can control yaw too...

I don't see this in the manual, however, and can't get it to control yaw on my setup.

Can anyone confirm or deny this works on a 2V+?

Thanks

Ben

It works but It was only introduced a few updates ago as far as I know. Are you fully updated with firmwares? Its kinda crazy and I'm still trying to figure out why its useful

Yea I would like to know this as well. I have read it on here and know nothing about it. Honestly not sure I would want it !

Tried it several times. Cannot get it to work. Why would it be undocumented?

Best,

Ben

Fully updated. Does this work on the vision+? I can't make it work.

The latest manual talks about the gyro feature, but specifically says it's just for pitch control.

Can some post a video l f this working?

Ben

I have a Vision (not plus)
The phone/yaw feature does work and is documented. About page 43 in the latest version of the manual. I tried it several times.
Yesterday, as a test, I held the phone flat with the Phantom hovering above the trees. You tip down one end or the other of the phone. There appears to be a dead zone that is fairly large but just keep tipping and it will eventually start to yaw. I timed the video and it was taking about 8 seconds for 360 deg. or 45 deg/sec. I would like it to yaw slower but I haven't figured out if you can with this mode. If you figure out how, let me know.

Warning: if you have this mode on when you are moving (not in a hover) and your moving the controller around with the phone in the clip it can seem like the Phantom has gone crazy.

^^^^

If its a plus feature I cant find it.

I posted a video of a test I did yesterday using the gyro/accelerometer mode. This is with a Vision. I used the axis shown in the manual and this was the slowest yaw rate I could get. I think it's to fast for good video or burst of stills. Any ideas on how to slow it down. I would think the Vision+ would do the same - but of course I don't know. If you test it just be sure to keep getting the tip steeper and steeper until the yaw starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRMzam ... ObwC0HUbmg

neoben said:
They must have disabled this on the plus.

Ben

Anyone tested on the plus yet?
I haven't had a chance to fly her yet.

John Shaw said:
I have a Vision (not plus)
The phone/yaw feature does work and is documented. About page 43 in the latest version of the manual. I tried it several times.
Yesterday, as a test, I held the phone flat with the Phantom hovering above the trees. You tip down one end or the other of the phone. There appears to be a dead zone that is fairly large but just keep tipping and it will eventually start to yaw. I timed the video and it was taking about 8 seconds for 360 deg. or 45 deg/sec. I would like it to yaw slower but I haven't figured out if you can with this mode. If you figure out how, let me know.

Warning: if you have this mode on when you are moving (not in a hover) and your moving the controller around with the phone in the clip it can seem like the Phantom has gone crazy.

you have to have the dead zone or the camera would be constantly changing tilt every time you moved the tilt of the tranny even slightly.. if you look closely at the on screen slider there is a slight grey area around the slider button bit ( android app on a galaxy S4 ). if the button bit stays in the grey area nothing happens, but when it gets to the ends the camera responds accordingly. you have to hold the tranny at an angle to keep the button in the grey bit to keep the camera tilt stable. not actually that easy, especially when walking about !! personally i'd rather a much bigger dead area, and a much slower tilt movement from the camera, I find it not easy to control in gyro mode at all and feel a positive down or up on the tranny/tablet outside of normal holding angles should be needed to move the camera so no undesired inputs are given.

i have no experience of pan in gyro mode and have never heard mention of it before this thread. i'm not sure if ( assuming it exists on the pluss?? :mrgreen: ) is it supposed to turn the gimbal on the V+ or the drone itself?? turniong the gimbal would bring the UC into shot! on the plain old vision version it would obviously be panning the entire phantom as it has no 3D gimbal and viewing the UC won't be an issue. would be nice on the V+ if it yawed the drone not the gimbal and had a big dead area and slow yaw rate!!

roll on the P3V+360 with retracting UC?? :D and make it use the same batteries DJI !! :twisted:

I apologize for creating some confusion (I am a Vision user, not a Vision+ user)
I have compared the Vision and Vision+ manuals and the Vision+ does not appear to have the accelerometer yaw function that the Vision has so I shouldn't have mentioned it. I am surprised but I it must have to do with the Vision+ having the gimbal.

To not leave an error - I want to correct one aspect of a statement made by locoworks (I agree with most of it) I checked the camera pitch indicator and attached the section from the Vision+ manual. The grey area talked about is not a dead band and is described in the manual. See the statement at the bottom between the horizontal lines.

Attachments

• Camera Pitch.jpg
    Camera Pitch.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 442
John Shaw said:
I apologize for creating some confusion (I am a Vision user, not a Vision+ user)
I have compared the Vision and Vision+ manuals and the Vision+ does not appear to have the accelerometer yaw function that the Vision has so I shouldn't have mentioned it. I am surprised but I it must have to do with the Vision+ having the gimbal.

To not leave an error - I want to correct one aspect of a statement made by locoworks (I agree with most of it) I checked the camera pitch indicator and attached the section from the Vision+ manual. The grey area talked about is not a dead band and is described in the manual. See the statement at the bottom between the horizontal lines.

before reading you post i checked this morning as i had a suspicion about it and you are correct. i came back to edit my post and you beat me to it :oops: . my S4 is less sensitve than my tab and it is the tab i use now. just checked with the S4 and it does indeed move in the grey area, just not as abruptly as with the tab. when you go just off centre of the grey bit on the tab the camera moves quite abruptly so i dont use the function anymore.

the grey area being dead would suit me better, must have been wishful thinking. ;)

appologies for the confusion.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj