Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Guidelines for Legally Operating a UAS in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Ken Cruise, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Ken Cruise

I just received a reply form the NC DOT Division of Aviation regarding the legal use of UAS/UAV aka drones in North Carolina. I searched the forums before I posted this for information specifically pertaining to NC and only found people asking what the rules are and replies without links or first hand sources of information. This post should clear up any future questions. The attachment also provides instruction as to what you need to do should you get an exemption as well as the direct contact information for the state of NC UAS Program.

Attached Files:

#1 Ken Cruise, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Sheets7777

That's the case for every state, mine has been submitted since May, no word yet.

Ken Cruise likes this.
  3. BlackHawk388

Man, the 333 exemption has been discussed at length in these forums. That requirement isn't indigenous to just N.C. It's a federal requirement throughout the U.S.

Also, the recreational use of a drone in the U.S. is a Federally regulated set of mandates. Not just N.C. The only caveat here is knowing what each State, county, municipality and city has tacked onto the Federal restrictions and mandates. If any.

As you mentioned, these are strictly for recreational purposes. All the rules change if you do so for commercial gain.

Ken Cruise likes this.
  4. LUISMARTINEZ