Guidance needed on how to prepare for trip

Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to Cornwall, England in September. I am still a novice flyer. I know the basics but I would like some input from you folks who really know what they are doing.

I hope to fly over/off/around some of the cliffs in Cornwall. I know the ceiling is 400 ft. from where you take off. So if I take off at the top of a cliff that is, for example, 400 tall, does that mean I won't be able to fly over the edge? Assuming I can do this, how to deal with what I would expect to be unpredictable winds?

Also, any tips on how to get the dramatic shot from over the cliffs and water would be greatly appreciated. What techniques should I rely on? A preplanned mission using Litchi? 42 Points of Interest? Something else entirely?

I suppose I could go for volume and just take a ton of footage and then edit the heck out of it, but I think it would be better if I got some guidance before hand and practiced here at home. The only problem is, I live in Key West. No cliffs around here. The highest point in the keys is 11ft!

Lastly, I suspect it's going to be a fairly damp/moist/drizzly environment. Is it ok to fly as long as it's not pouring? Or, is drizzle a no-go?

I figure the more I practice now, the better results I'll get on vacation. I don't want to spoil it for my wife by continually tinkering with the P4. Get in, get the shot and spend the day with her. Better for my health that way. :)

Thanks in advance ... Ed

I hope to fly over/off/around some of the cliffs in Cornwall. I know the ceiling is 400 ft. from where you take off. So if I take off at the top of a cliff that is, for example, 400 tall, does that mean I won't be able to fly over the edge?
Your Phantom can fly up to 500 meters over the takeoff point. If you take off, ascend 20 feet, and fly over the edge of the cliff, your Phantom will still think it's at an altitude of 20 feet.

I know the ceiling is 400 ft. from where you take off.
that's just a guideline. you can go up to 1600 ft above the point where you take off, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. man, if i was going somewhere cool like that i wouldn't worry about any of the uptight rules. just get some good footage while you have the chance! you'll regret it later if you don't.

Your Phantom can fly up to 500 meters over the takeoff point. If you take off, ascend 20 feet, and fly over the edge of the cliff, your Phantom will still think it's at an altitude of 20 feet.
Got it. Thanks.

that's just a guideline. you can go up to 1600 ft above the point where you take off, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. man, if i was going somewhere cool like that i wouldn't worry about any of the uptight rules. just get some good footage while you have the chance! you'll regret it later if you don't.
I can tell you're a kid! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic