GUI Version of DatConverter

There is a beta version of the next release, Version 2.2.0, at DatFile.net/downloads. @FlyBye it contains the directionOfTravel we talked about. It also contains some other new fields; flyCState, nonGPSCause, vpsHeight, and errorStatus. See .CSV Column Descriptions for an explanation of these fields.

When this beta has been tried by a few people I'll update the current version so that when DatCon is started the user will be notified that there is a new version.

@BudWalker, just letting you know I was wrong and the motor data is showing up on the Inspire. It's all there. Your tool is proving invaluable in finding errors on downed Inspires and Phantoms. Here's an Inspire that went down with a bad cell.

bad-cell-crash.jpg

Would it be possible to add additional cells for Inspire? It's 6S so we're missing cells 5 and 6. Don't know if that would be easy or not for you to do.

@BudWalker,....Here's an Inspire that went down with a bad cell.

bad-cell-crash.jpg

Would it be possible to add additional cells for Inspire? It's 6S so we're missing cells 5 and 6. Don't know if that would be easy or not for you to do.
Very cool. Are you using Excel to do this plot?

Try the new beta version 2.2.1 at DatFile.net/downloads and lemme know if the Inspire voltages aren't working right.

@FlyBye this beta also has the directionOfTravel in magnetic heading and not "true" heading.

@BudWalker, the DatCon 2.2.1 version is looking great! I uninstalled the previous version and installed this beta version. I didn't see any readme attachment explaining any detail changes so I used the revised converter and ran a flight I just flew yesterday and converted with the past version. I compared the fields and found these differences:

New Fields
vpsHeight(M)
directionOfTravel
flyCState
flyCState:String
nonGPSCause
nonGPSCause:String
Volt5
Volt6
Gimbal:Xroll
Gimbal:Xpitch
Gimbal:Xyaw
errorStatus

Fields not found on 2.2.1
failure
compassError
Eu:roll
Eu:pitch
Eu:yaw

Are these details close, or did I miss some?

@BudWalker, the DatCon 2.2.1 version is looking great! I uninstalled the previous version and installed this beta version. I didn't see any readme attachment explaining any detail changes so I used the revised converter and ran a flight I just flew yesterday and converted with the past version. I compared the fields and found these differences:

New Fields
vpsHeight(M)
directionOfTravel
flyCState
flyCState:String
nonGPSCause
nonGPSCause:String
Volt5
Volt6
Gimbal:Xroll
Gimbal:Xpitch
Gimbal:Xyaw
errorStatus

Fields not found on 2.2.1
failure
compassError
Eu:roll
Eu:pitch
Eu:yaw

Are these details close, or did I miss some?
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Information about the fields that DatCon generates can always be found at .CSV Column Descriptions

@BudWalker, do you know of any data fields that represent signal quality in the DAT file. Something like RSSI. Or is that only in the log file?

I've been looking for this field for some time now. Haven't had any success but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

@Luap provided a flight where the uplinkSignalStrength obtained by Litchi was plotted. I then looked at every signal in the associated .DAT (it's a semi-automated process). None of those signals match or came close to that plot.

I'm supposing that maybe the RSSI that shows up in the SDK originates with the P3's receiver and then gets appended to the next packet that is transmitted to the P3. I.e. it never shows up on the bus.

Just yesterday I had started trying to implement a "controlLinkQuality" field. The basic idea is to see if there are gaps in the stream of records that have the aileron, rudder, throttle, and elevator info. Maybe a crude approximation of the RSSI, but it could be argued that it's really what you want to know. What difference does it make if the RSSI falls to 50% if the control info is still valid.

I've been looking for this field for some time now. Haven't had any success but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

@Luap provided a flight where the uplinkSignalStrength obtained by Litchi was plotted. I then looked at every signal in the associated .DAT (it's a semi-automated process). None of those signals match or came close to that plot.

I'm supposing that maybe the RSSI that shows up in the SDK originates with the P3's receiver and then gets appended to the next packet that is transmitted to the P3. I.e. it never shows up on the bus.

Just yesterday I had started trying to implement a "controlLinkQuality" field. The basic idea is to see if there are gaps in the stream of records that have the aileron, rudder, throttle, and elevator info. Maybe a crude approximation of the RSSI, but it could be argued that it's really what you want to know. What difference does it make if the RSSI falls to 50% if the control info is still valid.

The "FPV Booster" app has used that feature for close to a couple of years now. They have it setup to show direction the R/C is pointed in relation to the A/C. It is also colored using Green, Yellow, and Red. The colors start from the icon of the R/C in Green. Once either the A/C flies past a certain point or loses reception, the colors begin to change into a Yellow and then Red at the end of the line. I believe they refer to it as "WiFi-Wand"? I think they use a signal amount reading back to the IMU?

The WiFi-Wand is a great tool to have as it helped to stay pointed directly at the A/C. It has always been one of my more favorite mods.

I'm unaware of any calculators or converters in dashware that work with the -negative side that yaw category. I believe the .csv converter is able to do it and data then displayed in it's own category.
You can create a calculated field in Dashware if you want to convert yaw values from -180 to 180 to 0 to 360. Add to the Yaw Input a constant parameter of 180 as per below
upload_2016-3-10_23-30-32.png

And here the result when viewed in Dashware
upload_2016-3-10_23-37-1.png

You can create a calculated field in Dashware if you want to convert yaw values from -180 to 180 to 0 to 360. Add to the Yaw Input a constant parameter of 180 as per below
View attachment 46702

View attachment 46703

View attachment 46702

View attachment 46703

@Laup, where are you able to test dashware calculators and converters, I've not seen this before. Is this only in Mac and not Windows?

Also, the info you displayed in not correct. But I'm curious if is still able to be set with right formula and work? Btw, the firmware sets the Yaw formula as:
North= 0 or -0
Northeast= 45
East= 90
Southeast= 135
South= 180 or -180
Southwest= -135
West= -90
Northwest= - 45

Because of this method shown above, the actual amount needed below would be 360. Hopefully the details you gave will work with entering 360 instead of 180.

Whether it works or, thank you for the headss up!

no360.png

@Laup, where are you able to test dashware calculators and converters, I've not seen this before. Is this only in Mac and not Windows?

Also, the info you displayed in not correct. But I'm curious if is still able to be set with right formula and work? Btw, the firmware sets the Yaw formula as:
North= 0 or -0
Northeast= 45
East= 90
Southeast= 135
South= 180 or -180
Southwest= -135
West= -90
Northwest= - 45

Because of this method shown above, the actual amount needed below would be 360. Hopefully the details you gave will work with entering 360 instead of 180.

View attachment 46726
@Luap is away for a few days so you're stuck with me answering this.

Dashware only runs on Windows. It doesn't run on a Mac.

To create a Calculator; File->Edit Data Profiles. In the lower left corner will be Calculators/Converters. Press the "+" button which will bring up a Calculator Chooser. Select "Math Calculator". Press "Add".

The reason that DatCon doesn't present Yaw with range [0, 360] is that, thus far, there hasn't been a reason to. The P3's flight controller, navigation component, etc use the [-180, 180] range because it makes sense mathematically. Humans and Dashware would rather see the [0, 360] range.

I'll add a Yaw360 column in the next release.

Bud,
I am amazed at all the work you have and are putting into the this great program. I know you said you were doing this for fun but I would love to send you a small donation to maybe by a beer or two. Do you have a PayPal address for donations?

@Luap is away for a few days so you're stuck with me answering this.

Dashware only runs on Windows. It doesn't run on a Mac.

To create a Calculator; File->Edit Data Profiles. In the lower left corner will be Calculators/Converters. Press the "+" button which will bring up a Calculator Chooser. Select "Math Calculator". Press "Add".

The reason that DatCon doesn't present Yaw with range [0, 360] is that, thus far, there hasn't been a reason to. The P3's flight controller, navigation component, etc use the [-180, 180] range because it makes sense mathematically. Humans and Dashware would rather see the [0, 360] range.

I'll add a Yaw360 column in the next release.

When I referenced Mac to @Laup, it was in part to do with a conversation we had were he mentioned using macro recorder software and dashware. He likely would have known what I meant in the questioned I asked.

Adding the Yaw 360 is great!

Btw, I converted a file after installing 2.2.2 and then looked it over rather quick just to see if there were any changes between this and the beta version. I noticed you flipped the common & string categories around from the usual. Usually the string or raw categories will be the number value and the common displays the text. Is there a reason why you wanted it this way? I'm just curious cause the names I have used in some of the gauges I've been working on will need revised.

Bud,
I am amazed at all the work you have and are putting into the this great program. I know you said you were doing this for fun but I would love to send you a small donation to maybe by a beer or two. Do you have a PayPal address for donations?
Thanks for the nice sentiment. But, I really am not interested in any commercial aspects of this project. I appreciate that you seem to like it. I'll think about that the next time I have a beer.

Reactions: Dartagnan_007
Thanks for the nice sentiment. But, I really am not interested in any commercial aspects of this project. I appreciate that you seem to like it. I'll think about that the next time I have a beer.
Well we all appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

if we were in competition, you would still be winning :)

this time I would like to give you two suggestions
every time I start the DatCon, it loads the last used file, so there is (in my case) one minute of unnecessary waiting and then I can finally open new file
I know you need to load the file, so you can find all those time events (Recording Start, Stop, ...)
but I think, that in general, users won't be converting the same DAT file again and again
so maybe you could:
A) put there another button [Preload file] above the TimeAxisPanel and read DAT file after user clicks on it, or
B) at least give us the option to disable automatic load of the last used DAT file (so datFileTextField will be empty after DatCon starts)

except for cursor change, I can see no other indication that converting is done
my suggestion is, that after user clicks the goButton, its caption could change to "Converting" and after the conversion, caption could change back to "GO" and text like "Conversion done" could be added to LoggingPanel

I repeat those are just my suggestions, I am not demanding anything
if you decide to implement them, I'll be glad, thanks in advance

edit:
one more thing, I just found one bug:
after the preload of the input file, or after the click on GO button, you should clear all values and then start to fill them
because now, if I do two conversions, one after another, some of the columns (for example flightTime, vpsHeight, errorStatus) in the first few rows of the CSV contain old values

Last edited:

North= 0 or -0
Northeast= 45
East= 90
Southeast= 135
South= 180 or -180
Southwest= -135
West= -90
Northwest= - 45

View attachment 46726

Proper conversion would be: Modulus( (Yaw value +360),360) . Thanks to Budwalker for the formula.

In dashware you'll need to create two calculators in the profile editor.
One Calculator = Yaw + 360
Another Calculator to take the Modulus. Below a screenshot of how to do it.

upload_2016-3-15_23-39-23.png

As you can see Dashware offers basic calculators that can sometimes help out. Especially useful if you want to convert KMH to MPH, feet to meters and so on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers