GUI Version of DatConverter

The only thing you are missing is the headaches of how it used to be before these tools were made available.

Ahh, gotcha, well thank goodness for everyone that helps develop all these wonderful tools, lots of good stuff!

Just starting to learn about this stuff so if I am way off base please let me know.
I downloaded my csv file from healthydrones and was able to import that into dashware.
Seemed almost to easy. Am I missing something? Thanks!

There will be lots of information missing compared to the full gamut of sensor information that is available. The csv file from HealthyDrones only contains a few basic fields. If you can, plug your phantom directly into the pc and download the .DAT files from the aircraft using the GO app, then run this through DatCon to convert it to a csv, then input this into dash ware and watch the programme come alive!

Reactions: 3dPico
@BudWalker, have you been able to find motor speeds in the DAT file? It should be there. Also, I think there should be information on each ESC. I could be wrong but let me know.

@BudWalker, have you been able to find motor speeds in the DAT file? It should be there. Also, I think there should be information on each ESC. I could be wrong but let me know.
Yes, there is motor speed. There is also motor load and motor commanded if this is what you mean by ESC data.

The eventLog will report an "ESC_stall" event as well as report when the ESC firmware doesn't load.

Is there other ESC data? I think I know where it'll be.

There will be lots of information missing compared to the full gamut of sensor information that is available. The csv file from HealthyDrones only contains a few basic fields. If you can, plug your phantom directly into the pc and download the .DAT files from the aircraft using the GO app, then run this through DatCon to convert it to a csv, then input this into dash ware and watch the programme come alive!
I did that and it makes a huge difference. Seems like if you want a basic overlay the info from healthy drones might suffice, but if you want to deep dive and really see a lot of details you need to get the dat file from the aircraft and convert it. Thanks

Reactions: happydays
Yes, there is motor speed. There is also motor load and motor commanded if this is what you mean by ESC data.

The eventLog will report an "ESC_stall" event as well as report when the ESC firmware doesn't load.

Not that I am aware of specifically. I am using your tools to see if I can figure out why so many Inspires and P3s are falling out of the sky. Motor speed, load, commanded would be useful for things like prop failure, motor failure, ESC failure.

Here's one that looks like an ESC failure that I looked at yesterday:

http://www.ianwood.com/docs/falling-from-the-sky.pdf

@BudWalker - Using the latest GUI version of DatCon I notice a heading column does not exist in the outputted cvs file. Is there heading data imbedded in the FLY???.DAT file?

Last edited:
@BudWalker - using the latest GUI version of DatCon I notice a heading column does not exist in the outputted cvs and other things
. Is there heading data imbeded in the Dat
Please be more specific. Which column heading is missing? What Excel column (e.g. AA, AC, etc). Which version of DatCon are you using?

I have a problem: I can't connect my P3A to my PC (win 10). I can only see the DCIM files on the SD CARD. I don't have access to the Dji dat. Is there a solution? Many thanks!

Please be more specific. Which column heading is missing? What Excel column (e.g. AA, AC, etc). Which version of DatCon are you using?

Thank you for the response. I'm using DatCon.jar version 2.0.0, file date of 2/16/16. I've attached a text file showing lines 1 & 2 of the output I get. So the "column labels" row and then one row of data. I don't see a column giving current heading of the P3 and I'm wondering if the heading (0-360 degrees) is available but DatCon is simply not setup to decode it. Or maybe something else is going on? Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Attachments

• HeaderExample.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 222
Thank you for the response. I'm using DatCon.jar version 2.0.0, file date of 2/16/16. I've attached a text file showing lines 1 & 2 of the output I get. So the "column labels" row and then one row of data. I don't see a column giving current heading of the P3 and I'm wondering if the heading (0-360 degrees) is available but DatCon is simply not setup to decode it. Or maybe something else is going on? Or maybe I'm just missing something.
Depends on what's meant by heading. Yaw is the orientation of the P3. It's not direction of travel which could be different from yaw. Direction of travel would have to be computed from successive gps coordinates and put in a future release.

Depends on what's meant by heading. Yaw is the orientation of the P3. It's not direction of travel which could be different from yaw. Direction of travel would have to be computed from successive gps coordinates and put in a future release.
Hmm... So is a yaw a compass orientation? Meaning a yaw of zero would be equivalent to north?

That's right. The yaw range is [180, 180]
Understood 180 to -180

Do I have the latest version then of DatCon? It's a marvelous utility by the way.

Elsewhere I read a note about another analysis tool you had written called "FLYDUMP", I believe? Is that available?

One more thought.... Would it be reasonable to take the file DatCon generates and calculate direction of travel from the latitude longitude coordinates found there? Or even use DashWare to calculate direction of travel from those values on the fly?

Understood 180 to -180

Do I have the latest version then of DatCon? It's a marvelous utility by the way.

Elsewhere I read a note about another analysis tool you had written called "FLYDUMP", I believe? Is that available?

One more thought.... Would it be reasonable to take the file DatCon generates and calculate direction of travel from the latitude longitude coordinates found there? Or even use DashWare to calculate direction of travel from those values on the fly?

It's a pretty screwed up but the way it works is after 180 degrees it counts down in Minus (-180,-179,-178, ect.) until reaching 0 degrees. I do not see what the benefit is, if there even is one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20