Guatemala travel, with drone

Reaction score
Here is an advisory for people traveling to Guatemala bringing a UAV, or drone. On a recent trip ( November 23, 2016) I was stopped at customs upon my arrival because I was carrying a drone. Apparently, on November 15, 2016 Guatemala has a new policy that requires a permit to enter the country with a drone. While the permitting process is relatively easy and free, it took me just under four hours to complete before I was on my way. And then there was that hefty storage fee for holding my drone while I completed the paperwork. A total of 14 cents US. Paying that fee took about an hour of the total time to accomplish. Travel safe!

it took me just under four hours to complete before I was on my way.

kramer-freakout.gif

Here is an advisory for people traveling to Guatemala bringing a UAV, or drone. On a recent trip ( November 23, 2016) I was stopped at customs upon my arrival because I was carrying a drone. Apparently, on November 15, 2016 Guatemala has a new policy that requires a permit to enter the country with a drone. While the permitting process is relatively easy and free, it took me just under four hours to complete before I was on my way. And then there was that hefty storage fee for holding my drone while I completed the paperwork. A total of 14 cents US. Paying that fee took about an hour of the total time to accomplish. Travel safe!

Thanks for the heads up! I ran into a problem a year ago trying to travel to Togo with a Phantom, and would not like to re-live that again. I am headed to Guatemala in a few months... They didn't by chance tell you how you could have obtained that permit before arriving did they? I did a quick search around the Internet and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the heads up! I ran into a problem a year ago trying to travel to Togo with a Phantom, and would not like to re-live that again. I am headed to Guatemala in a few months... They didn't by chance tell you how you could have obtained that permit before arriving did they? I did a quick search around the Internet and couldn't find anything.

Have you traveled to Guatemala with your drone yet? Here is the contact info for the gov agency for permits I believe.

Call: 22606625 (calling from the US is 011 502 2260-6625)

Email: [email protected]

What time of day did you arrive in Guatemala? I am going this week and do not have a permit. I have asked a lawyer friend of mine to look into it before I arrive.

Have you traveled to Guatemala with your drone yet? Here is the contact info for the gov agency for permits I believe.

Call: 22606625 (calling from the US is 011 502 2260-6625)

Email: [email protected]

My travel plans actually changed, so I'm no longer going to Guatemala. Sorry I can't be of help!

Aqua Paparazzi,

I am in Guatemala and had my drone confiscated at the Guatemala City Airport. I am driving 4 hours tomorrow to retrieve it. I read your post about the paperwork. Did it really take 4 hours to complete? Was there a long line or just a really long form?? Any pointers? All I have is the retrieval ticket they filled out when they confiscated it. Hoping it goes smoothly.

Thanks,
Sam

IMG_6290.JPG

Sam.

How did your trip to the city to get your drone go? I was thinking about buying one in the US and bringing it back to Guatemala, but sounds like my timing might not be so good. A friend had problems bringing his Inspire into the country a month or so ago.

Please let us know.
Thanks!

Sam.

How did your trip to the city to get your drone go? I was thinking about buying one in the US and bringing it back to Guatemala, but sounds like my timing might not be so good. A friend had problems bringing his Inspire into the country a month or so ago.

Please let us know.
Thanks!

Xocomil,

The office hours to do the drone paperwork are Monday - Friday 8am-5pm. If you are traveling at this time you can walk across the airport parking lot to the admin offices and fill out 1 piece of paper. It's literally your name, passport number, and where you will be flying (how high, and how far). It took like 15 minutes and cost 1Q… basically 15 cents. Unfortunately I flew in on a Sunday and had to leave my Phantom 4 overnight and come back Monday morning. It was a 10 hour round trip drive… bummer. But I did get my Phantom back (it was under lock and key) and was able to fly the remainder of my trip.

Sam

Thanks for the info Sam. Glad it went well for you. I sometimes work with doc crews who travel with drones, so good to know you didn't have issues.

That said, I wonder if those of us who call Guatemala home base might have more issues ... when they see all the visa stamps and realize we're not here for a 2 week vacation.

Did they take a good look at your passport? Did they ask about the length of your stay? Do you have any kind of drone license from back home?

Apparently, Guatemalans are having their drones seized at the airport and forced to register them (at a cost of about $600+, and weeks if not months of paperwork). It's causing a lot of people headaches here, and I'm not sure if I want to put myself in that position.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

4 hours to fill in a document? They must be crazy! Why it's so difficult?

Thanks for the info Sam. Glad it went well for you.
Hey guys,
I'm new on this site and just thought I should add my 2 cents. Just returned from Guatemala today, traveled with my Phantom 4. Just as you guys previously mentioned, at Customs they will confiscate it until you receive registration/licensing paperwork from the Aeronautica office. The person at their office told me they handle Aviation crash investigations. They also keep a log of drones coming into the country.

I am fluent in Spanish which i thought would have expedited the process. But in either case, it still took about 2 hours, from landing in Guatemala - walking over to the Aeronautica office, walking back, waiting on customs to to review my permission paperwork and finally release it back to me. After i paid that small storage fee of course.

My only gripe with the whole situation was not the Aeronautica office. Getting my paperwork there/signed off, took all of 15 minutes. Customs officers there seem to be confused as to what the process actually entails and even after having the signed paperwork still continued to seem confused as to what else i needed to provide to have the drone released. After being told to wait outside of the terminal 2 or 3 times, they finally called me back inside to give me my P4. Reunited at last!

is the process easy?
How much did you have to pay for the paperwork. Also as i was reading it and it pertains to professional equipment. Anyways i was going to go to Guatemala this June 15 but wife passport did not arrived on time. So now i am heading out to Orlando FL with the kids. The forms you have posted online, will they be accepted when you arrive at the airport. Also it will be nice if this can be done before flying to Guatemala.

Last edited:
Reactions: sammcalister
Actually I just called them and you can send an email 4 days before your trip and they will send you the documents to fill out. Your permit will be send to you through email. You just need to send in a copy of you passport. I talked to Pedro Argueta. Talk to him in Spanish so I don't know if he speaks English.

Reactions: sammcalister
is the process easy?
How much did you have to pay for the paperwork. Also as i was reading it and it pertains to professional equipment. Anyways i was going to go to Guatemala this June 15 but wife passport did not arrived on time. So now i am heading out to Orlando FL with the kids. The forms you have posted online, will they be accepted when you arrive at the airport. Also it will be nice if this can be done before flying to Guatemala.

JuanLico1,

The office hours to do the drone paperwork are Monday - Friday 8am-5pm. If you are traveling at this time you can walk across the airport parking lot to the admin offices and fill out 1 piece of paper. It's literally your name, passport number, and where you will be flying (how high, and how far). It took like 15 minutes and cost 1Q… basically 15 cents. Unfortunately I flew in on a Sunday and had to leave my Phantom 4 overnight and come back Monday morning. It was a 10 hour round trip drive… bummer. But I did get my Phantom back (it was under lock and key) and was able to fly the remainder of my trip. Everything listed in the thread above is accurate. It takes about 2 hours. Hopefully you will be flying Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm b/c that's the hours you have to get a representative. Good luck!

Sam

So what’s the deal? Is there a way I can get my Guatemala drone permit in advance before I go on my trip? Can I get contact information please?

JuanLico1,

The office hours to do the drone paperwork are Monday - Friday 8am-5pm. If you are traveling at this time you can walk across the airport parking lot to the admin offices and fill out 1 piece of paper. It's literally your name, passport number, and where you will be flying (how high, and how far). It took like 15 minutes and cost 1Q… basically 15 cents. Unfortunately I flew in on a Sunday and had to leave my Phantom 4 overnight and come back Monday morning. It was a 10 hour round trip drive… bummer. But I did get my Phantom back (it was under lock and key) and was able to fly the remainder of my trip. Everything listed in the thread above is accurate. It takes about 2 hours. Hopefully you will be flying Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm b/c that's the hours you have to get a representative. Good luck!

Sam
So what’s the deal? Is there a way I can get my Guatemala drone permit in advance before I go on my trip? Can I get contact information please?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen