GS and IPAD Mini Maps (Apple)?

Reaction score
Hi all new to the group and I am waiting for my PV2+ to arrive. I down loaded the GS app. and noticed that the Map overlay is
outdated by around 2 years our sub division is still all woods... Google maps are current and seemed to be up to date....Is this
a apple thing being way behind with their maps? Or is this the app. polling out dated information?

Spuddawg said:
Hi all new to the group and I am waiting for my PV2+ to arrive. I down loaded the GS app. and noticed that the Map overlay is
outdated by around 2 years our sub division is still all woods... Google maps are current and seemed to be up to date....Is this
a apple thing being way behind with their maps? Or is this the app. polling out dated information?

The groundstation doesn't work with the P2V or P2V+, and it should pull down the right maps once you're connected and setting up a mission, but I don't know if it pulls from current gmaps data.

Feed back from DJI.....

Dear Brian,
Thank you for your email.
We appreciate the feedback and will pass it on to the engineers.
Thank you for your patience.
Please keep in mind the iPad Groundstation app and PC software is NOT compatible with the Phantom 2 Vision or Vision +. Your new product will get waypoint control soon through an app update. No additional purchase of equipment will be necessary.

Customer Service Representative

I have just got my iPad groundstation setup and I have also noticed that using the maps that the iPad loads is not got the same detail as on the PC . The PC uses google earth and has more detail and I can zoom right into my house whereas the iPad map loses detail and when I try to zoom in the map turns into blank squares ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erico said:
I have just got my iPad groundstation setup and I have also noticed that using the maps that the iPad loads is not got the same detail as on the PC . The PC uses google earth and has more detail and I can zoom right into my house whereas the iPad map loses detail and when I try to zoom in the map turns into blank squares ?

Are you loading them when the iPad has a data connection (wifi or cellular)?

Yes ... I actually have tried going from the groundstation map then flick over to google maps and there is a big difference between the two . I will try and take screen shots to show the difference.

tuqe9y8y.jpg
3u9ugy8y.jpg
the first one is the one from thr iPad groundstation and is the most I can zoom in whereas the second is from google earth and can go even further zoom into the houses.

I don't think the GS uses Google Maps as the imagery doesn't carry the Google watermark.
Mission Planner, and it's other PC and Android variants, for the Ardupilot does use up to date Google imagery.

As you say the imagery that is used in the GS is quite a bit out of date as it shows my house as it was prior to alterations
that were carried out in 2002.

Regards

Nidge

When my GS/Ipad is activated I can zoom into my driveway no problem.

Here was the reply from DJI tech support .. at least I got a answer :)

Howard Zheng (DJI)

Apr 30 17:10

Hi,

Maps are different between iPad gs and PC gs.

Thanks&Best regards,

DJI Tech-support

Like all apps, GS uses the Mapkit API provided by iOS. When Apple released Apple Maps, they changed this from Google Maps to Apple Maps, so that's where GS is getting its data. If you load up the Apple Maps app on your iPad, the satellite view SHOULD match what you see on the GS.

Apple and Google buy their satellite and aerial data from different providers, so there are sometimes drastic differences in detail/quality between the two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1