Groundstation Question

Reaction score
I posted this before but I think the great mystery issue ate my post.

Super simple question. If you program say 10 way points and hit GO, off goes your drone. What happens when it hits point #5 a mile away and it loses connection with home base? Does it pivot and go back home or does it continue on to point 6 and finish up the mission?

rbhamilton said:
I posted this before but I think the great mystery issue ate my post.

Super simple question. If you program say 10 way points and hit GO, off goes your drone. What happens when it hits point #5 a mile away and it loses connection with home base? Does it pivot and go back home or does it continue on to point 6 and finish up the mission?
I could be wrong, but the way I read the instructions, it will continue the mission.

It continues even beyond VLOS. However BVLOS is illegal in many countries including the UK where I am.

PhilD13 said:
And in the USA
Not yet. There are no rules in the USA regarding BLOS flight.

Today mine was out for a short flight with 5 way points. Never more than 500' away but a big tree blocked my signal. I got "connection lost" and it appeared to just continue the mission. Maybe the connection wasn't lost long enough to make it come home. But it didn't even pause. I would have thought it should come home or at least head towards home until connection was reestablished. How else could I take over in case of trouble? Seems like a dangerous behavior. But I'd rather have it continue the mission than just decide to land or do something stupid.

Anyway that's why I was asking. Not planning any night flights over the white house or anything like that.

I have tried this out on our family farm way out in the middle of nowhere. No interference or any electricity nearby for that matter. The bird continues its mission when communication is lost and returns. Not sure how it would react in a urban setting.

GS missions need very careful planning and should in the end present no more dangers than planning a controlled flight. Obstacles such as trees, buildings etc should all be known beforehand and valued into the flight risk assessment. Also it is imperatative for safety that equipment should be able to take control back from the mission at any time. If control connection is lost because of trees then really the mission could not be safely undertaken. Its good practice to seriously assess all flights not just GS and if the risk is beyond your safety level, decide not to undertake the flight, even under the pressure of a paying customer. Just my penny's worth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20