Ground station start altitude anomaly

Reaction score
Hey guys -

I think I mentioned this in another post - but I really saw a stark example this weekend - wondering if any of you are seeing it as well.

I have an iPad GS latest firmware on everything with a Phantom 2 Zenmuse setup with go-pro.

When I initially get communication set up with the Phantom in it's take-off position it reads an altitude of about 10 ft (sitting on the ground)

THEN - I take off and fly it through several waypoints and land...

when I look at my GS getting ready for the second mission - the altitude now reads ~30 ft... sitting in the same spot as before.

I believe this is what caused my crazy flight about 8 days ago (setting it for 30 feet and it flew closer to 2 to 3 ft off the ground)

Has anyone else seen this? The GS reads one altitude on the ground for the first flight and then a second altitude on the ground for subsequent flights? (on more piece of info - both flights I had about 12 satellites - don't know if that matters).

Had the same thing happen.
Set for 30 feet but flew at about a foot above the ground.
Even though the dials were showing 0 at startup.
Hasn't happened again.

I think it has to do with the ground model they use, and maybe some other stuff as well. I don't know how it calculates height, but it doesn't use the starting point as zero - because I have never seen it read zero at the starting point.

I give things a wide berth - 100 feet vertically - when I program it. Its just a limitation of the technology.

Thanks guys... that's the response I was expecting... I was just surprised at how much it changed between the beginning and end of the flight... but it certainly explains my low altitude debacle the other week :)

It tends to read more accurately 30+ft away from Tx also.

EMCSQUAR said:
It tends to read more accurately 30+ft away from Tx also.

huh... that's interesting... I'll test that out too! Thanks :)

I flew from the top of a tall building, and the start "ground" level was set to near zero.... So that answers that question.

Also, It had an error of about 20 feet. I was able to go above and below the start point, and at about 20 feet below it read zero - if that makes sense.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31