Ground Station problems

Hi

ive no idea what the ilovecoffee version is, my info is based on using the official DJI app on a Samsung Phone, can you supply a link or info on what you are using ?

rexster314 said:
Ground station app within the DJI app does not require gps, only WiFi connection so you can download the maps for your autonomous flight
I think that might not be entirely correct. Having loaded maps by wifi connection, the app still might need gps to be able to use groundstation, otherwise the device don't know where it is on the map, neither will it know where the birth is in relating to the device.
Just a thought.
Has anyone positive experience with using groundstation with a non-GPS device? Please report on this threat.

Im just wondering why you are all using a 3rd party app, when DJI supply one that is designed for it?

crash1sttime said:
Im just wondering why you are all using a 3rd party app, when DJI supply one that is designed for it?

Probably because it has enhancements that DJI will not add to their GS.

aartsf said:
Has anyone positive experience with using groundstation with a non-GPS device? Please report on this threat.

I think there is something in the DJI Vision program that will not allow Ground Station to run on a device without GPS fitted. That is why fooling the program into thinking the tablet has got GPS with TetherGPS is the only way to get it to work.

crash1sttime said:

Because it is the DJI one, just better :D

I use a Lenovo tablet which has GPS, but I usually have it turned off. I can still use the ground station app I just have to have the Phantom on and connected to at least six satellites first. I don't like doing it this way because it runs the battery down while I'm trying to put in the waypoints and all that, but it does work. Now, when I do want to pre plan my flight I will use my GPS on my tablet and do everything before turning on the Phantom. Again though this is not required. It is just more hassle not using the GPS on your device but it can be done. As far as using it as your dynamic home point, it will not work without a GPS device. Everything else will work just fine without having a GPS enabled phone / tablet. Because when the app first came out there was no such thing as dynamic home point and no need for a GPS device at all.

crash1sttime said:

One big improvement is that you can use more that the 16 waypoints that Dji app have.

Bear501 said:
I use a Lenovo tablet which has GPS, but I usually have it turned off. I can still use the ground station app I just have to have the Phantom on and connected to at least six satellites first. I don't like doing it this way because it runs the battery down while I'm trying to put in the waypoints and all that, but it does work. Now, when I do want to pre plan my flight I will use my GPS on my tablet and do everything before turning on the Phantom. Again though this is not required. It is just more hassle not using the GPS on your device but it can be done. As far as using it as your dynamic home point, it will not work without a GPS device. Everything else will work just fine without having a GPS enabled phone / tablet. Because when the app first came out there was no such thing as dynamic home point and no need for a GPS device at all.

I have tried with the phantom on with more that 6 satellites but I cannot use it either, it does the same... return to the previuos screen...

crash1sttime said:

Coffee's version is identical to the official app, but with the limits removed and some enhancements. If you are content being limited to 500m from your launch point, the official app is for you. If you aspire to venture further, or desire some extra functionality, then Coffee's app is a better choice.

The main snag with going beyond 500m is that you will lose video and probably not be able to regain control if you see it going wrong, however 500m is quite limiting, and being able to go a bit further is useful - the other refinements are interesting.
Used cautiously the modified app is perfectly safe but as he explains if you mess up and set a wrong waypoint too far away you will lose it.

canislupus said:
Hello guys,

I have a problem entering to the ground station function. I have activated the Ground station under Settings but when I swipe left to enter to the GS it returns to the configuration screen.

I have test in 2 tablets and no working in any of them. Tested connected to the phantom, connected to home wifi but no way…

It's hard to say what else you can try without seeing what you have going on. I am not trying to insult you, but it is probably just something you're overlooking. I am not a expert either by no means. So I say that because I have found myself doing the same thing.

So what kind of tablets you trying? What version of Android are you running? Is there a way you can find somebody else with a phone or tablet that does have GPS and try theirs? I know you don't have to have GPS for it to work, but you might as well try and see if that's the problem or not. Or find somebody that has a tablet that you know works with The Phantom because other people on here are using them.

Ok, today I decided to just connect to the phantom with my android tab. I first made sure I cached the map of the area I was in and then preceded to connect. The phantom set it's home point and the app displayed the camera view but when I attempted to enter GS it just returned to the menu page. My tablet is using google maps, I hope it doesn't need another map source.

Again I have no problem using my ipad except I can't save a mission.

JDNC said:
Ok, today I decided to just connect to the phantom with my android tab. I first made sure I cached the map of the area I was in and then preceded to connect. The phantom set it's home point and the app displayed the camera view but when I attempted to enter GS it just returned to the menu page. My tablet is using google maps, I hope it doesn't need another map source.

Does your android device have built-in GPS or was the GPS switched off when you tried to connect to the phantom.
Google maps is the map source used.

foggy69 said:
JDNC said:

Does your android device have built-in GPS or was the GPS switched off when you tried to connect to the phantom.
Google maps is the map source used.

The android device does not have gps but the apple device doesn't either but it works. As it stands I'm puzzled as to why the apple device will work in GS and the android device won't. But what really is puzzling is apparently some can save missions without being connected to their phantom and also not using gps. Beats me, but at least my ipad appears it will work but I'll have to turn on the phantom and waste battery pwr doing it.

Keep in mind this sucker hasn't left the ground yet as I have just received it and the weather hasn't been cooperative. Then I have Feb, mar, and Apr that windy as crap. Just no break for this newbie. :cry:

Bear501 said:
canislupus said:
Hello guys,

I have a problem entering to the ground station function. I have activated the Ground station under Settings but when I swipe left to enter to the GS it returns to the configuration screen.

I have test in 2 tablets and no working in any of them. Tested connected to the phantom, connected to home wifi but no way…

It's hard to say what else you can try without seeing what you have going on. I am not trying to insult you, but it is probably just something you're overlooking. I am not a expert either by no means. So I say that because I have found myself doing the same thing.

So what kind of tablets you trying? What version of Android are you running? Is there a way you can find somebody else with a phone or tablet that does have GPS and try theirs? I know you don't have to have GPS for it to work, but you might as well try and see if that's the problem or not. Or find somebody that has a tablet that you know works with The Phantom because other people on here are using them.

Hi,

I have tried with 2 tablets with Android 4.4.2, they are not from a known brand. I have one Unnusual Tablet model 7x+.

I have to find someone that let me use his tablet to test...

canislupus said:
Bear501 said:
canislupus said:
Hello guys,

Hi,

Great, hopefully there's something that will work. I really would like to use my android device.

I have tried with 2 tablets with Android 4.4.2, they are not from a known brand. I have one Unnusual Tablet model 7x+.

I have to find someone that let me use his tablet to test...

This weekend I have tried again with a Energy Tablet and it looks like it is working, now I see the ground station screen inside the vision app.

Then It seems that it is the GPS indeed, this tablet it does have GPS on the tablet.

I haven't test yet flying with the bird but I will soon.

Thank you for all the help and cheers.

crash1sttime said:

Because it is 1000 times better than the DJI APP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic