Ground Station problems

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a problem entering to the ground station function. I have activated the Ground station under Settings but when I swipe left to enter to the GS it returns to the configuration screen.

I have test in 2 tablets and no working in any of them. Tested connected to the phantom, connected to home wifi but no way…

Could anyone help me on this? I am frustrated!!

>>If your doing the swipe from Left to right and GS opens just for a moment then closes and goes back to the Camera or Main Menu screen then try below.

I think it's right to left swipe. I do it all the time and now can't remember.
If you have Dynamic home point turned off then I have no more ideas.
On Android, in the DJI folders there is a crash log that might help if you post it.

I'm not near my mobile device right now but it's pretty obvious by the folder and file names.
I think it's DJI_Log\Crash\Crash-xxxxx.log

Thank you for your help.

I have Dynamic Home Point turned off because the tablet doesn’t have GPS.
This weekend I have tried the Pix4d App for autonomous flight and have no problem at all.

This thing is really killing me. Hope I could find some solution.

Thank you again.

canislupus said:
This weekend I have tried the Pix4d App for autonomous flight and have no problem at all.

Does Ground Station work from devices without built-in GPS? Genuine question.

Morgon said:
canislupus said:

I wouldn't think so, it won't know where you are will it, so it can't bring up a map.

Ground station app within the DJI app does not require gps, only WiFi connection so you can download the maps for your autonomous flight

4wd said:
Morgon said:
canislupus said:

I wouldn't think so, it won't know where you are will it, so it can't bring up a map.

you open ground station when your phone has wifi connection with access to the internet, then choose where you will be flying from the map and zoom in and out.

this will cache the map to the DJI app, then out in the field it will use the cached data to open the map and then you choose your waypoints.

Your phone doesnt need GPS out in the field as you will be working with a cached copy of the map.

This is why you can use an Ipad that doesnt have 3G as you will use the cached copy of the area where you will be flying.

For example where i live in the UK i have zoomed in on several places where i want to fly, then i go there and use a phone that has GPS turned off and i can use the map i cached earlier in the day.

Phone GPS is only used by DJI app to give the option of Dynamic home point (DHP) this is where the home point is updated every 2 seconds, so in practice you can set your home point in one location then walk 1 mile away and the quad will know the updated homepoint.

rexster314 said:
Ground station app within the DJI app does not require gps, only WiFi connection so you can download the maps for your autonomous flight

We have seen issues when you try to enter ground station and your device does not have GPS or does not have good GPS data. It tries to put a pin for your current location and internally it is labeled as GetHomePoint. If you do not have a gps reading for your home point, the application may crash.

If one looks in the DJI folder I mentioned, it should tell you where the problem resides.

canislupus said:
Thank you for your help.

I have Dynamic Home Point turned off because the tablet doesn’t have GPS.Thank you again.

I won't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that is your problem. I have seen the ground station code and it does depend on the Home point location for ground station. I did not trace all the entries for it, but I did see enough to know it relies upon it in many places. Same thing happens in ILoveCoffee's application if there is a bad GPS location.

Thank you for the answers.

I’m pretty sure that you don’t need GPS on the tablet because the position is given by the phantom.
You only need to have GPS on the tablet if you are using Dynamic Home point. In this last case I cannot turn it on because it appears a message telling you “GPS not supported on this device”. But I can activate the Ground Station option with no problem.

Wrong, when you enter ground station, it puts a pin where your mobile device is from the mobile devices GPS location, then an aircraft which is the gps coordinates of the aircraft location. So it does in fact have both locations marked.

For you, and my curiosity, I just turned off the GPS location services on my android. I opened the DJI app and went into ground station. GS did open, but the map was of the entire globe. I zoomed into the aircraft. There was no start point available and I could not enter any way points. The second time I entered GS, it opened for a second then went straight back to the camera screen. The third time, the app took me back to the main menu (Camera, Settings, Sync...).

So, that should answer your question. GS can not work without a GPS location from the mobile device because it has no start point. The error handling works at time and other times it just crashes by immediately exiting out of GS.

canislupus said:
Thank you for the answers.

I’m pretty sure that you don’t need GPS on the tablet because the position is given by the phantom.
You only need to have GPS on the tablet if you are using Dynamic Home point. In this last case I cannot turn it on because it appears a message telling you “GPS not supported on this device”. But I can activate the Ground Station option with no problem.

You can't do anything with ground station in your app until every thing is on including your phantom. Once you've downloaded your maps for ground station on WiFi the icon showing where your phantom is in ground station is coming from the phantom, not the app.

canislupus said:
Hello guys,

I have a problem entering to the ground station function. I have activated the Ground station under Settings but when I swipe left to enter to the GS it returns to the configuration screen.

I have test in 2 tablets and no working in any of them. Tested connected to the phantom, connected to home wifi but no way…

Could anyone help me on this? I am frustrated!!

Your device does not have to have GPS for ground station to work. If you don't have it though you have to use your phantom to connect with at least 6 satellites before your ground station will open. Then once you have a home point established you can use a WiFi network to cache the area you want to fly.

I tried to use a tablet without GPS . I was never able to even get it into ground station although it was happy to give the FPV view from the camera.
To get it to work I used a program called TetherGPS (from the Play Store) on my phone and tablet that allows the tablet to get a GPS fix from the phone. I create a wifi hotspot on the phone and contect the tablet via wifi. I can then enter ground station and download the required maps and get a GPS fix.
You can then switch the wifi on the tablet to the Phantom and it all works great. [emoji3]

foggy69 said:
that allows the tablet to get a GPS fix from the phone.

Lets get this straight, you dont need GPS on the phone. you only need to have GPS (or the internet) to download the map of your current location, however if you know where you are going to fly you can open the ground station app at home whilst connected to your internet and browse to the location on the map where you intend to fly, hint zoom in and out a few times to get the best version.

Once out in the field the app will used a cached (stored in its memory) version of the map, the App gets the location of the home point from the phantom once it has found enough satellites and created a home lock position.

GPS on the phone is used solely for Dynamic Home Point, where the Phantoms previously defined home point changes with the location of the phone you are using (providing that GPS is turned on), I've found this to be a bit hit and miss in regards to where the phone is thought to be located, on one occasion when i tested DHP my phantom thought my phone was 20ft away from where i was and nearly landed in some bushes.

If someone thinks differently then let me know and i will file this as bulls**t

crash1sttime said:
Lets get this straight, you dont need GPS on the phone. you only need to have GPS (or the internet) to download the map of your current location, however if you know where you are going to fly you can open the ground station app at home whilst connected to your internet and browse to the location on the map where you intend to fly, hint zoom in and out a few times to get the best version.

GPS on the phone is used solely for Dynamic Home Point, where the Phantoms previously defined home point changes with the location of the phone you are using (providing that GPS is turned on), I've found this to be a bit hit and miss in regards to where the phone is thought to be located, on one occasion when i tested DHP my phantom thought my phone was 20ft away from where i was and nearly landed in some bushes.

If someone thinks differently then let me know and i will file this as bulls**t

The first thing to say is that I am using the ilovecoffee version, I have no idea whether this makes any difference.

Crash1sttime, the tablet I use has no 3G or GPS. For whatever reasons, Ground Station would not open on this tablet. This is the same problem as canislupus and JDNC were having. Because ground station would not open, we could not download maps into it.

Being connected to my phones GPS via TetherGPS was the only way I could get Ground Station to open on the tablet. Once out in the field I use TetherGPS so that the tablet then uses the phone's internet and GPS signal to download maps and set the pilots Home Point. I tried downloading maps to the tablet before going out into the field via TetherGPS, but once there, unless the tablet was connected to the phones GPS, I could not open ground station.

My knowledge of Home Points and Dynamic Home Points and how they work is still a bit sketchy.
I do enable ‘Use Phone as Home Point’ on the tablet so that my location is recorded but I don't have the ‘Dynamic Home Point’ enabled because as soon as you connect to the Phantom via wireless, you lose the wireless connection to the phone, so you lose the GPS connection.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj