Ground Station next week!,,

ianwood said:
So, 2015 then?

LOL

Also, i have this working on my Phantom 1 already, and have used it maybe 5 times max, and most of those have been just so i could see the height / velocity without my iOSD Mini. Really thought i would be into it, but haven't used it much at all.

and the answer everyone has been looking for: "The two waypoint systems are effectively identical, except that Ground Station is an addon for the Phantom 2 that will require the addition of a Bluetooth downlink and an iPad app, while the Phantom 2 Vision will be able to fly waypoints natively through the Vision app."

Bill_Burkert said:
DJI update is available next week, iOS app at Apple for approval. This time it feels real. Get ready.

Where did you get this information from? Great if it's true but i remain sceptical :)

MrTommy said:

The quote they have on that site seems a bit confused, as I don't think there's any indication the P2V will allow you to use a PC for waypoint programming like that says.

Also, this is the quote everyone seems to be hanging on to from DJI's FB page this morning:

"The two waypoint systems are effectively identical, except that Ground Station is an addon for the Phantom 2 that will require the addition of a Bluetooth downlink and an iPad app, while the Phantom 2 Vision will be able to fly waypoints natively through the Vision app."

So just to clarify, what would I need to use the groundstation setup on a P2nv ?
Just the bluetooth module ?

2trickpony said:
So just to clarify, what would I need to use the groundstation setup on a P2nv ?

What they said today kinda makes it sound that way, but I think they unintentionally re-clouded that issue...I suspect it will still take the full 2.4GHz Data Link hardware, which includes the BTU on the ground end for iPad link. Currently connecting the BTU to the NAZA directly only allows use of the iPhone settings tool (like the Assistant software in an app).

OI Photography said:
2trickpony said:

What they said today kinda makes it sound that way, but I think they unintentionally re-clouded that issue...I suspect it will still take the full 2.4GHz Data Link hardware, which includes the BTU on the ground end for iPad link. Currently connecting the BTU to the NAZA directly only allows use of the iPhone settings tool (like the Assistant software in an app).

So that makes it an expensive add-on if I need the full 2.4 hardware then.
At this stage I am unsure what would be better fun, the GS setup or Lightbridge ....

2trickpony said:
OI Photography said:
2trickpony said:

At this stage I am unsure what would be better fun, the GS setup or Lightbridge ....

If I was trying to decide between the two and I had the money for the Lightbridge, that's what I'd go for. I already have the 2.4 Data Link setup and I'm still intending to replace it with the LB at some point on one of my rigs.

If I was trying to decide between the two and I had the money for the Lightbridge, that's what I'd go for. I already have the 2.4 Data Link setup and I'm still intending to replace it with the LB at some point on one of my rigs.

Is it possible to do the same sort of waypoint stuff with Lightbridge or is it purely for HD video?

2trickpony said:
Is it possible to do the same sort of waypoint stuff with Lightbridge or is it purely for HD video?

I don't believe it will have waypoint capability, but I don't know for sure. However, on the platform I'd install it on, the LB's features look like they'd outweigh the benefit I'd get from waypoints...at least for my uses. If waypoints are critical to you, the GS may be the only option for a while. Something tells me though that they have to at least be considering giving the LB a connection to (or compatibility with) at least the iPad GS.

The LB also acts as a control interface, so I'd think that adding that GS functionality wouldn't be a huge leap.

its my understanding that if you wish to use waypoints on a Phantom 2 then you will need a firmware upgrade, an iPad and the ground station: http://www.dji.com/product/ipad-ground-station

if you wish to use waypoints on a Phantom 2 vision, you will need to update the app and firmware.

this makes sense because the reason for the BTU on the P2 is because that is how the ground station talks to the iPad. On the vision, the iPhone already talks to the vision via the wifi on the remote.

The vision version will be a scaled down version due to the fact that its going to be on a smaller device (a phone and not a tablet)

The reason the ground station works with an iPad and not an android device most likely has to do with the hardware. You can get a cheap android device at walgreens for under $100. The device will in no way be powerful enough to run the software and if the app crashes, DJI is be flooded with phone calls in regards to an issue that has nothing to do with them.

I've heard others talk about using it on a PC. Personally I prefer the iPad version over the PC version. Not to mention the fact that an iPad mini is easier to travel with than a laptop.

OI Photography said:
2trickpony said:

I don't believe it will have waypoint capability, but I don't know for sure. However, on the platform I'd install it on, the LB's features look like they'd outweigh the benefit I'd get from waypoints...at least for my uses. If waypoints are critical to you, the GS may be the only option for a while. Something tells me though that they have to at least be considering giving the LB a connection to (or compatibility with) at least the iPad GS.

The LB also acts as a control interface, so I'd think that adding that GS functionality wouldn't be a huge leap.

No waypoint like functions with lightbridge and both cannot be used simultaneously unfortunately, also the price isn't really comparable lightbridge is £1000+ whereas the groundstation is about £100!

The prospect of automated flight for P2 is exciting indeed!
As a relative newbie, I may be behind on my knowledge of waypoint flying, so please bear with me.
Does anyone know if you can manually adjust the yaw during an automated flight? i.e. after you upload the flightplan and sent the P2 into automated flight. (assuming it stays within range of the flight controller, of course)

For those with a working around station on version one, you better download the app it up before the updates and turn off auto update. The next version of the app maybe restricted as DJI was working on compliance with uav regulations. No one knows what that really means, but it is likely that it is restricted in someway, and it is easiest to put those restrictions on the app rather than the naza firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1