Ground station going away? Google maps is...

Reaction score
Here is the announcement

Google has announced that they’re ending support for Google Maps Engine. If you’ve used Google Maps Engine to store your vector and raster data, you should be aware that your GME data will disappear on January 29, 2016.

So I guess this means GS and waypoint flying will disappear also... More bad news!

So I guess this means GS and waypoint flying will disappear also... More bad news!
I don't think DJI would can those features if Google maps really does go away someday. Google is not the sole provider of maps.

Well you can't use ground station now unless they fix the app for the iPhone.
And they don't seem ready to fix it.

This would have no effect on Vision app GS or the Ground Station iPad App.. this will only affect the PC GroundStation App which make use of google earth/GME... Map and Earth/GME are two different systems.. Nothing to worry about here.. Move along fellows....

Last edited:
Before you fly GS we usually have to open google maps to view the terrain. Also if no internet we have to cache ammapmfor GS flying. But Vipernyou say it will not affect GS flying if no goggle maps are available, how so?

iOS maps if you use apple and Google map api on any device in general.. Google map is not being discontinue.. It just their map engine.. Nothing to do with Google map api.

Good to know, thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.