Ground Station behavioural questions

Reaction score
Last night I tested the GS function for the first time. All did not go as smoothly as I imagined, but part of it at least was error on my behalf.

1 - The first few times I sent it off it didn't really seem to care what direction it was facing. It was flying west, but facing south. Another time it flew north whilst looking every which way except the direction it was travelling in! I have video captured of it but it's of such little interest I won't bother uploading, but you can clearly see its not facing the right way. It's not even steadfastly facing in a constant wrong direction. When I changed batteries I decided to calibrate the compass (having not done so before, I was nearby my last flight) and it seemed to help a great deal, tho not exactly perfect at times. (To be clear, as far as I can tell the Phantom was working perfectly normal in ordinary flight, no compass cali needed.)

Is this normal?

2 - After calibration, when the phantom arrived at the gps point it seemed to lurch drunkenly around in circles until it found the point and marked it 'complete' on the app. During this time again it faced any which way it pleased, often turning at a whim. When it found the point it then turned and purposefully flew off facing the right direction to the next point, only to again pause and float about until it found the coordinates and marked it complete.

Again, is this normal?

3 - I'm sure I had another question but I can't for the life of me think what it was.
Is this normal?

Thanks!

When I use GS, the nose of the quad and the camera is always facing the direction the quad is headed. I have seen it stop at a waypoint, and kind of do a double take before turning and heading to the next waypoint or home, but from what I have read, that is not that unusual. If your camera is not facing the direction your quad is flying, I suspect something is wrong.

I think for super safety, always calibrate the compass before flying.. Any ferrous metal or magnet etc.. can knock off the compass reading between flights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.