Ground Station and FPV

Reaction score
First off. I'm new here. Sorry if this is redundant and my search didn't find the answer.

I'm a pro photographer with a client that wants to buy me a drone setup to get specific shots for him.

So I am thinking of the Phantom 2, with integrated gimbal and the GoPro Black. Would like to add FPV. But also just saw the demo video of iOS Ground Station on the DJI web site.

My question is, how would one use both? A video monitor AND the ground station?

Thanks!

currently the phantom 2 doesn't work with the ground station. they update the firmware in january. So by the time you get it, it should work. Instead of using your controller, you use an iPad. Works great for smooth aerial filming because unlike the human hand that twitches, the iPad does not. When you send it on a path from one waypoint to the other, it flies there in a straight line. Of course if you have severe wind you may see a bit of movement. It works like google maps would work for a car. You can add waypoints and in that waypoint you can tell it how high off the ground you want it. Super easy to use.

Sounds great. But can you also use the iPad for FPV? Or do you need to look at both screens at the same time for filming?

No video input on the iPad. It might come like on the vision but in all honesty, I think it will be too slow to keep up with everything. We shall see if dji comes out with it. Right now it's a screen for each.

So it occurs to me that with the Black GoPro, I can use the GoPro's wifi and app for FPV. Right?

nope. you can not do that. ever. the gorpo wifi interferes with the phantom controller. You'll end up with a wrecked phantom or a phantom that flies away. Not to mention the fact that the wifi out of the gopro has a ton of lag and a range of about 15 feet. If you are using the gopro within 15 feet of yourself, might as well just get a stick and not a phantom.

Oh. That's disappointing. GoPro advertises 600 ft range. Wasn't sure about channels? What if the Phantom flies near another wifi device? Is interference an issue?

ghinson said:
Sounds great. But can you also use the iPad for FPV? Or do you need to look at both screens at the same time for filming?

From what I am reading it would be two screens. One for your FPV out of a transmitter mounted to the Phantom, and the iPad for the ground control. That control comes from a datalink out from the P2 which, as I understand is possible by daisy chaining that to an iOSD Mini which would itself be connected to the CANBUS Port and a Video TX on the Phantom.

I don't know if that would exceed weight limits however or even be possible to use at once. But you may be able to do one or the other. I am intrigued by the Ground Control option so I am hoping it's an option.

zoochase said:
I'm curious if DJI is going to make the BVR and Ground Station available for Android or should I just plan on buying and iPad soon??

I'd hold off to see what happens when DJI updates the firmware for the vision/p2 to use the ground station. You never know.

I think the vision folks may get lucky and they may incorporate it right into the app. I'm not sure if that is possible but I do know its coming to the vision in January.

So I guess that the update in Jan didn't allow BTU unit to communicate with ipad groundstation?

Will this ever get fixed, cos they 2.4 ghz btu transmits on same 2.4 ghz as controller?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31