Ground Control for iPad won't Start Phantom 2

Reaction score
I purchased the complete Ground Control Datalink with BTU for my Phantom 2. Installed it by following many guides to the T. I can connect to the aircraft just fine, but except on rare occasions I am unable to start the propellers. I am in Naza-M mode, updated to the latest 3.... software. Everything is up to date. In the rare occasion in which the propellers do start to spin, I never see the joysticks on the screen, and in about 20 seconds the ipad loses connection all together. This is with the Phantom stationary.

I've done as much research as I can with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, on the Phantom it's a fast yellow light flashing, on the ground datalink its one solid green and another flashing red. On the Air bluetooth it's a solid green and flashing green with the occasional flashing red for one flash.

Do you have the BT connected on the air end? It needs to be connected to the data link on the ground.

Also, if the Phantom shows a fast flashing yellow it probably means it doesn't see the controller (that must be on as well).

I'll go ahead and move this thread to the groundstation section ;)

It does connect to the bluetooth in the upper right hand corner of the ipad app. Is that what you mean?

I've tried with the controller on and have better luck but still lose signal very quickly.

Thank you, sorry I got a little excited.

ntmichaud said:
I purchased the complete Ground Control Datalink with BTU for my Phantom 2. Installed it by following many guides to the T. I can connect to the aircraft just fine, but except on rare occasions I am unable to start the propellers. I am in Naza-M mode, updated to the latest 3.... software. Everything is up to date. In the rare occasion in which the propellers do start to spin, I never see the joysticks on the screen, and in about 20 seconds the ipad loses connection all together. This is with the Phantom stationary.

I've done as much research as I can with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, on the Phantom it's a fast yellow light flashing, on the ground datalink its one solid green and another flashing red. On the Air bluetooth it's a solid green and flashing green with the occasional flashing red for one flash.

Do you have the regular controller turned on as well? I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get mine to go (I would push go and nothing would happen) and then I found out that the regular controller needs to be on as well as the GS. As soon as I did that... it worked like a charm....

ntmichaud said:
It does connect to the bluetooth in the upper right hand corner of the ipad app. Is that what you mean?

I've tried with the controller on and have better luck but still lose signal very quickly.

Thank you, sorry I got a little excited.

sorry somehow I didn't see this post...

So when you say "lose connection" how far away are you from the bluetooth device with your Ipad?

I lose connection to the Phantom all the time when it is flying the route... what I do is always set the last waypoint right over my head and if I can't re-establish connection I flip the regular controller to ATTI and bring her in myself.

The GS doesn't have to have connection to the Phantom when it is flying with waypoints... all those get loaded into it's memory... so I surmise that it goes into a kind of handshake mode and sometimes fails to get a ping back from the Phantom... usually when it gets closer to home... I can run the scan again... and it will pick back up the signal.

It's like 15 feet away, I start it (with remote, and with blades off for testing) and it doesn't move and 20 seconds later loses connection.

Sorry, I was referring to the little square BTU unit...do you have that plugged in to the Phantom, or to the Data Link on the ground? It sounds like you have it plugged in on the Phantom, but it's supposed to be plugged in to the ground end of the groundstation.

ntmichaud said:
It's like 15 feet away, I start it (with remote, and with blades off for testing) and it doesn't move and 20 seconds later loses connection.

You are 15 ft from the blue tooth with your ipad? Or is the Phantom is 15 feet away from the GS.

I know it sounds crazy (because it shouldn't be like this at all) - but I find I can't go more than 5 to 10 feet away from the bluetooth without connection issues.... it may, in fact, be the worst bluetooth range in the history of the world. :x

However, If you are standing right next to your bluetooth module and the GS is losing connection to the Phantom that's only 15 ft away... I haven't experienced that. I'll typically lose connection with the phantom only when it is several hundred feet away.

Haha, ive noticed the bluetooth range is pretty bad. I'm reffering to having the ipad and ground control about 10-15 feet away from the p2.

What firmware do you have and do you use Naza mode or phantom?

ntmichaud said:
Haha, ive noticed the bluetooth range is pretty bad. I'm reffering to having the ipad and ground control about 10-15 feet away from the p2.

What firmware do you have and do you use Naza mode or phantom?

Latest Firmware - and Naza mode.

For those who might be interested. I downloaded the iPhone DJI app to my iPad. Larger screen and to my delight works very nicely. Ordered a sunshade and will report how that might help sunlight view. Drawback haven't found a bracket to accommodate iPad to controller. Still researching.
This effort was an alternate to full blown ground station add-ons.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4