Groud Station 500m limit hack?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know a hack to extend the 500m radial limit in Ground Station, other than resetting home location?

I recently bought a Phantom 2 vision plus. I intent to use it to map a 10 x 10 kilometer area of salt marsh in Georgia as part of my graduate research. The imagery will be stitched into a 3D model using PhotoScan a software by Agisoft. The use of ground station to program a flight plan will improve my results by flying a constant speed so that pictures are evenly spaced. The 500m radius limit really restricts the area that I can map in one flight. Essentially I would have to program and fly at over 100 locations to cover my study area. I have read about people resetting the home location to extend range, however I don't think this is a good option for me, because it will use up battery time as I create new waypoints on the fly and I don't like the uncertainty involved especially since i will be flying over a lot of water.

GearLoose talks about a kickstarter drive for a new mapping tool.
Mapping with Ground Station
Postby GearLoose » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm really looking forward to this mapping tool: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... ith-drones

It not only promises to be affordable but offers a way to create high quality stitched photo maps that doesn't require me to upgrade to a far more powerful computer.
It sounds as if the tool is like a cloud version on the software I am using - which is an interesting idea. It also clams that it can be used for flight programming, personally I have my doubts that it will interface with ground station and that it would be able to over ride the 500m radius limit that DJI have imposed.

The use of drones and mapping software opens up a whole new world of possibilities and it seams such a shame to be limited by such a small area. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ive done over 1.5km waypoints auto flights so dont understand your issue!

SimonH78 said:

The issue is because there is a free bundled application for android/IOS for the vision and vision + quads called "ground station" and a paid for add on hardware and software package called "ground station". The free version limits your farthest distance from home to 500m where the paid version has no such limitation.

@sbarton> The short answer is yes and no. Many people have been successful in getting the PC/Ipad version of Ground Station to work with the P2V and P2V+ however some also report that since the P2V and P2V+ use 2.4ghz to transmit video they are having frequency contention issues with GS. If you really want the full Ground Station functionality it is recommended to stick with the P2 and either of the Zenmuse Gimbals. You can also easily add FPV so long as you do not exceed 1350g take-off weight with props and battery installed. Some have also installed mini-ios which brings total weight to 1376g and flown successfully however DJI indicates this is unsupported...

Any other Q's just ask. I had a P2V+ and tried to install GS but ultimately went to a P2 with Zenmuse H3-3D, Flytrex, GS 2.4ghz/BT, DJI AVL58 FPV, FPV hub, Zenmuse anti-interference board. Phew that's a lot of gear but I learned a lot along the way.

-P2VFL

NYG said:
SimonH78 said:

The issue is because there is a free bundled application for android/IOS for the vision and vision + quads called "ground station" and a paid for add on hardware and software package called "ground station". The free version limits your farthest distance from home to 500m where the paid version has no such limitation.

After playing extensively with this it's getting annoying (the limitation). There's no way around this with the P2+?

ChuckMRN said:
My 900Mhz Datalink arrives later this week... My wife wants to know when this will all stop :)

Tell your wife to find a hobby. This NEVER stops! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik