Greetings, Just got a new Phantom 4...

Reaction score
Great to meet everyone virtually. Just jumped onto the Phantom bandwagon. My previous milestone was a 3DR. Still to take the first flight, spent the evening with some Ommegang beer while opening and setting up updates and the new DJI 4 app.

Drop me some tips and suggestions. I hope to chat with most of you in due course.

Hey Headshot! Good to have you on. I think you will find the Phantom 4 a truly amazing machine. It is tough, well built and has a ton of features. However, don't expect much out of DJI Support should you have to have help on it. You will find a few satisfied pilots here but you will find a lot more who have had issues with the customer service. I have been in a continuing struggle with them for a whole month trying to get them to just explain why my crash happened and all I get is the run a round. They seem to have a system where if you have to return your drone for repair, they simply ship you a "refurbished" one and ship it quickly in order to get your payment and put your broken drone into the pool of others waiting to be repaired. It would seem, that way, that they are truly fast and efficient but in reality they are simply flipping the cash flow and cycling the drones that are sent in. So, good luck and I know you will enjoy your Phantom. I might add, look at the app Litchi in lieu of DJI GO. I never could get GO to run more than a few minutes before it crashed while Litchi performs perfectly.

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: HeadshotDeluxe
Hi Jim, thank you for the welcome and the generous introductory note. This is really helpful and safe to say I am suddenly nervous. I guess I will be very careful as I pick up my first flight, perhaps buy huge gloves for catching a dropping drone ;)

I left 3DR behind for similar reasons but it seems each maker has its own set of pains and grunts

Question: Whats the trend on DJI Care? The App said I have 48 hours to purchase. Do people here buy it regardless, or, is it useless?

I don't know about DJI Care. I insured my drone through my local insurance agency, Farm Bureau. It has a $100 deductible and cost $73 a year. I heard that State Farm Insurance has a similar policy with no deductible. I am not sure if it covers "fly-aways" though. I have already had to use mine when my Phantom flipped upside down and crashed from about 200 feet. I am still fighting them for a refund of $239.00 that I paid quickly in order to get my drone back soon. I think DJI is a fine company though I hate to have to buy anything made in China. I believe DJI has probably grown too fast for their service side of the company to keep up. I would suggest to read, read, and read some more. Then watch all the You Tube videos you can find on the Phantom and find a clear safe place to fly until you get the hang of it. I had never flown one before when I got mine. I was scared totally! I flew it in the beginner mode for the first few times until I saw how stable it was and then I got a little braver. In the Litchi app, I learned how to program the waypoints on a map and then let the drone fly them. That was amazing the first time I flew it. I still have not range tested it. I have plans to have my wife drive mine out about 2 miles and set it down and see if I can fly it home. If I am successful at that then I will be more confident in its range capabilities. I have my altitude set to 400 feet now and only discharge my batteries down to about 15% before recharging. I read somewhere that will prolong the life. OH, I also balance my propellers simply by using a pencil point, or similar object. I found that the DJI propellers are just about perfect while some carbon fiber props I bought were way off. I applied Scotch tape to the light side until I got them balanced. I have not flown them yet since the original ones are so good. AND< another item, when I started making videos, I shot them on 4K but when I played them back, my old laptop and desktop computers were too slow to play them so I resorted to 1080, I think, to finally get them to play but they look perfect. The stills are awesome also.

Well, that is about all I can think of tonight, I'll watch this thread to see how you are making out. I know you'll love the Phantom. But again, read the book and watch videos whenever you can. OH another thing, subscribe to Healthy Drones.com. You can upload your flights and analyze them easily there.

So, good night,
Jim
WA5TEF

Jim, that is some very useful information. I am already glad I signed up at a good time so as to get your attention. I am watching videos as a type this. Will post more queries or feedback as I progress on this drone and possibly some pictures.

Thank you for the very valuable advice for a newbie. You have a great evening/night.

Welcome Headshot!

Not sure if you got Android or Apple device. In any case check recommended compatible devices list. Device has to be powerful and compatible.

Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO | Phantom Help

Also disable automatic update to prevent new GO app version installed automatically, to give you time watching how it goes before installing (with Apple it's a pain to revert to previous version).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Welcome Headshot!

Not sure if you got Android or Apple device. In any case check recommended compatible devices list. Device has to be powerful and compatible.

Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO | Phantom Help

Also disable automatic update to prevent new GO app version installed automatically, to give you time watching how it goes before installing (with Apple it's a pain to revert to previous version).

I think that's fantastic advice. I am on the iOS ecosystem and downloaded the Go 4. I am going to disable the auto-update feature.

Jim already mentioned about the Litchi App and I am still to look at videos for that, any additional app recommendations are welcome.

So much to learn, so much excitement, so little time...

welcome aboard, i love my P4 ...had an issue with first one where had main board issues after 112 flights , sent it in and had no issues dealing with DJI support...now on my second P4 and no issues and i've had it since late August and have logged over 1.5 million ft and no issues..fantastic bird , everything i need to enjoy this sport...

welcome aboard, i love my P4 ...had an issue with first one where had main board issues after 112 flights , sent it in and had no issues dealing with DJI support...now on my second P4 and no issues and i've had it since late August and have logged over 1.5 million ft and no issues..fantastic bird , everything i need to enjoy this sport...

Thank you Bckmstr. I cant wait to get this bird in the air. Hopefully after work this week.

You clocked a good amount of flight time, are you flying this commercially? or as an aerial photography hobbyist?

Thank you Bckmstr. I cant wait to get this bird in the air. Hopefully after work this week.

You clocked a good amount of flight time, are you flying this commercially? or as an aerial photography hobbyist?

i have a buddy who showed me his P3P and i was like i gotta have one , so researched and last July 2016 went all in on my P4 having never flown any RC before , took small steps and before you know it , i'm doing ok and have managed to test the range in stock form first..19,199 ft then up graded my antenna with one from Jake at MaxxUAV.com unboosted...only for the better signal strength out over 3 miles...now my distance is only limited by the battery....my bird does more than what DJI claimed it could do as far as distance stock...so i just fly for the fun of seeing the world from a new perspective and love taking pictures...the drone just put me on a whole new playing field...

Reactions: The Ghost
Hello,

I also just purchased a new PhantomPro+ and a bit scared to fly it alone and was wondering if there are any nearby experts who can show me the ropes and fly with. Seems everywhere I check is "restricted airspace" due to proximity to airports but it means no flying or not recommended? Anyone near Arcadia/Pasadena/San Gabriel?

You shouldn't have any problems enjoy your drones. If your new watch YouTube videos it helps. I'm new 6 months now flying ph4 out past 3 miles . Start slow though. No problems enjoy

You shouldn't have any problems enjoy your drones. If your new watch YouTube videos it helps. I'm new 6 months now flying ph4 out past 3 miles . Start slow though. No problems enjoy

Hey The Ghost, you mean you can get 3 miles distance from your P4P?
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Yes , I could go further if I did a battery modification. But with standard battery I can get out around 20,000 ft before RTH kicks in because of battery strength. My RC is modified though, not stock. Good flying [emoji573]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.