Greetings from Yorkshire, England

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd sign up to this forum and say "Hi!". I recently got my hands on my first Phantom (2) and have been loving it so far. In the past I've only had toy drones: one of those tiny ones that can sit in your hand, a Syma X5 and the Echine knock-off equivalent (much preferred the Echine tbh). I've been working in London as a visual effects artist for the last 5 years but moved to Yorkshire a couple of months ago for an Animation job so Cameras and Drones are two of my favourite things.

My cousin was kind enough to sell me the P2 + Zenmuse H3-3D for a bargain I couldn't refuse and I'm excited to start shooting some footage. I picked up a Gopro H3+ black but had a bunch of problems with it and finally sent it back. In frustration I bought a Xiaomi Yi (just the 1080p version) and have been really impressed so far. Not so much as an unexpected beep and all of my micro SD cards work a charm with it. I don't think it quite has the same quality or capture range but I think it'll do me good as a starting point.

Anyway, I hope to learn lots on these forums and will be sharing some of what I shoot in the future no doubt!

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Reactions: Smashed_Pumpkin
Welcome to the forum Pumpkin,

If you have not already done so, check the CAA rules for flying UAV's.

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). Click on the link to view their web site :-

British Model Flying Association

It costs £33 at the time of writing.

You might like to try the following apps.

The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play

And :-

No Fly Drones

If you have any questions just ask, but try doing a search first. Its more than likely it has already been asked.

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

deltamike, thanks for the links, I will definitely have a good read through those. I'm vaguely aware of most of the main regulations but no doubt it's worth me getting fully in-the-know. Just browsing that map of NFZs is an insight on it's own. Thankfully I've been flying in one of the gaps so far! I'm travelling to the Sognefjord region of Norway later in the year and planning to take the Drone, hopefully it'll be rural enough not to matter but I'll see what I kind find regarding that area.

Welcome to the family! Fly safe!

Hi smashedpumpkin

Hello and welcome to the forum from a "Yorky", where abouts are you..? or where do you fly at the moment...?

Waylander

Hi Waylander,

I live just North of Rotherham and have been flying mostly in a little park next to where I live. I'm planning on taking a flight over or around the lake along Manvers Way, assuming I can find out if I'm allowed to fly there.

How about you?

welcome, lovely place to live Yorkshire. Bet you will get some great footage. Im based next to Derbyshire so thats where i concentrate my footage/Youtube videos on

Hi Green Phantom,

It certainly is a lovely part of the country. I moved away from London only a few months ago so I'm really happy about the sudden abundance of open, flyable space.

Reactions: Green Phantom
Hi Waylander,

I live just North of Rotherham and have been flying mostly in a little park next to where I live. I'm planning on taking a flight over or around the lake along Manvers Way, assuming I can find out if I'm allowed to fly there.

How about you?

Hi dude sorry for delay in replying, I've been away, my mates and I fly around the Leeds/Bradford area on the moors thereabouts,
5 - 10 mins by car and we are in the Dales, great places, have you tried Malham Cove, thats worth a visit, and Bolton Abbey, the banks along the river wharfe and the ruins are good spots.
Regards
Waylander

Hi dude sorry for delay in replying, I've been away, my mates and I fly around the Leeds/Bradford area on the moors thereabouts,
5 - 10 mins by car and we are in the Dales, great places, have you tried Malham Cove, thats worth a visit, and Bolton Abbey, the banks along the river wharfe and the ruins are good spots.
Regards
Waylander

That sounds great. I'm still getting to know Yorkshire really, I work in Leeds so maybe later in the summer I'll have to bring my drone to work and go for an evening escapade to the Dales. I'm thinking of popping over to the Peak District when I get a free weekend as it's not far from where I live.

That sounds great. I'm still getting to know Yorkshire really, I work in Leeds so maybe later in the summer I'll have to bring my drone to work and go for an evening escapade to the Dales. I'm thinking of popping over to the Peak District when I get a free weekend as it's not far from where I live.

Yes Peak District, apart from the Lady-bower Reservoir I don't know any where around there.. maybe I need to give it a go.
Waylander

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic