Greetings from the West Coast of Scotland

Reaction score
Hi all, very much a newcomer to drones although flew serious competition aerobatics in the 1970/90's. So much has changed and it is a new field entirely. I was one of the early flight instructors for the SMAE in those days. It is now me who will need the tuition.
Fairly comfortable with the camera side of things.
I have just bought a Phantom 4 and looking forward to the initial flights before heading off to the hills (mountains). I think I shall need a lot of practice at first.

Paul

Welcome to the group, the Phantom 4 is an amazing craft. Fly safe!

Hi Paul,I'm sure you'll enjoy flying your phantom 4...my names Martin and I live in Irvine Ayrshire...where are you?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Martin,, Thanks for the message, good to know there is someone up here. I am 12 miles South of Fort William, on the coast. Still a fair diatance away I am afraid, it would be good to find someone to share experiences and flying with.

I have still to fly the P4, hoping this weekend if the weather holds. If you get up this way give me a PM for my details and perhaps we can meet up, there is some spectacular scenery around here.
Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul. I was up at loch awe last week filming kilchurn castle,it was a beautiful day and got some great footage.when I decide to go up north again I'll let you know and maybe we could do some flying together.

Hi Martin, I bet you enjoyed the flying around that area, it is a year or two since we were last there, I can imagine it is fantastic with the drone.

There are a few castles around us here, in fact the problem is deciding where to fly due to the choice, we are very lucky.

I would love to meet up sometime to do some flying together, I have still to do my first flight. I am hoping to get out this week with some luck.

If you let me know when you are up North again we can meet up somewhere. I am not sure how to PM details to you on here, I had a quick look but it did not seem obvious.

Fly safe,
Paul

Welcome ,I have just completed the NC 500 tour of Scotland,you have so many filming opportunities.
Yes for our US friends,mountains in Scotland are called hills,in Cumbria where I live they are called Fells,Wales calls them mountains,and Yorkshire calls them Dales,we also have Downs and moors, peaks and pikes etc
But whatever we call them, they are fantastic filming opportunities.
I have just ordered a P4 after nearly 200 flights on my P2V+
I can recommend the Litchi app especially for the waypoint and POI,some great filming possibilities,which are almost impossible to do manually.(OK some more experienced pilots can do it)

Made this video last week

Welcome ,I have just completed the NC 500 tour of Scotland,you have so many filming opportunities.
Yes for our US friends,mountains in Scotland are called hills,in Cumbria where I live they are called Fells,Wales calls them mountains,and Yorkshire calls them Dales,we also have Downs and moors, peaks and pikes etc
But whatever we call them, they are fantastic filming opportunities.
I have just ordered a P4 after nearly 200 flights on my P2V+
I can recommend the Litchi app especially for the waypoint and POI,some great filming possibilities,which are almost impossible to do manually.(OK some more experienced pilots can do it)

The NC500 is a great route. We did a major part of it at the beginning of May. We walked a few hills we had not done before and loved the scenery. We live in Lochaber so it is always nice to see more of the hills and Lochs. I am looking forward to spending some time photographing the hills from the drone perspective. I think I shall need more experience and precautions for the drone and cold batteries in the winter.

Paul.

The NC 500 sounds like a terrific project. I am planning to do it with my son in a classic mini or two and having got the drone I am looking forward to it even more. Batteries would be an issue, either the cost of buying more or charging on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The NC500 is a great route with many photo opportunities for drone photography. My wife and I did part of it earlier in the year, if I had the drone I think I would have been bankrupt buying batteries :)
Seriously, one option is to buy the 12V car charger and charge while driving, I guess that is the cheapest option. I did buy the 12V charger and noticed that the low voltage detector cut in to prevent it charging after the car was stood for a couple of days (new car as well). I think with the current taken I would only want to charge when the engine is running.

Good luck with the project and enjoy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik