Greetings from Alberta

Reaction score
Picked up my P4 back in May, didn't really start flying it until June, but amazed at it's stability, ease of use and just impressed overall.

I started the RC hobby about 6 years ago, stuck a cheap thumb cam from Hobby King on my RTF Super Cub one day and since then have concentrated on aerial photography and video. I've got a big fixed wing with an 80" wingspan that can carry numerous cameras at once, and three other multirotors, two DJI 450 flamewheels with DJI V1 Naza M V1 controllers, and a 450 frame with a multiwii quadrino based controller. I've got 5.8 Ghz FPV transmitters for the quadcopters and a 1.2 Ghz transmitter for the plane.

I've been holding off on the Phantom since it came out because I was hoping for a ARF model that I could use my Futaba 9C radio with, as I didn't see the sense in getting another radio. However after another flying buddy got one and told me the included radio is well worth it, I decided to take the plunge.

It is SO nice not having to lug my ground station around, with extra batteries, etc.

The P4 is a godsend for getting stable high quality video, but to be fair the only gimbals I've flown with to date are the old servo kind. My plane gets pretty stable video, but conditions need to be dead calm for this.

Anyway, I've not been very active on boards regarding the P4, and thought I better start poking around to see what's out there.

Again, very impressed with my Phantom so far, some wish list items so far are:

Ratchet control for yaw instead of spring, no matter what I can't seem to get smooth panning, even with expo at max. Actually I'd like it for the throttle too but the spring does have its advantages.

Auto tilt option for gimbal when kicking it into sport or atti mode, just a few degrees down to keep the props out of the picture.

You can see some of my initial flights with it (and my plane) here

Reactions: dirkclod
I saw where a few guys took a card and cut a circular hole in the middle. Then fit the cards hole over one of the control sticks that controls yaw. Then it is easier to just move the card in the direction one wants to yaw and it keeps the same rotation as the pressure against the spring is the same and does not change as one is moving the card to a location and then holding the card down against the remote controller to maintain the constant speed of yaw.

Hope that makes sense.

I will see if I can find that posting on the forum and provide a link.

Here is the basic idea except in this thread the yaw card is smaller. Link to Forum Posting below and also a youtube video
Link

One can make one whatever size is comfortable and practice with it till they create something usable.

Last edited:
Thanks - that looks interesting. Sure would be easy thought if DJI just had the rudder control ratcheting instead of spring though, wouldn't it?

Even if the yaw follow was smoother it wouldn't be as much an issue.

Newbie flyers would get the stick or sticks clicked over into a ratchet position or detent and then not be able to click back to the neutral position and I fear this would lead to more collisions with objects. It would be worth a shot to implement that method and give to a test group of pilots to determine which they found most functional

I would like to think DJI already does this. In the end they need to use a control system that is user friendly for the masses and they have gone the traditional route with stick control.

My ideal TX for the phantom would be the controls with the default spring setting, but an optional position you could either push or pull the stick(s) to to put them in a ratchet mode.

Welcome to the forum Glen .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik