Green Laser Fired at Phantom 3, Temp Loss of Control?

Reaction score
Hey guys i'm looking for thoughts and opinions on this one...

I suffered a momentary loss of control immediately after a green laser was fired at my P3. It was a gusty evening, and possibly wind might have knocked the drone a little but it was strange how it seemed to time with the laser, and I was flying for a total of 30-40 mins (change of battery) and only experienced this once... I did notice drifting caused by wind but this has stumped me... Could it be possible a laser could interfere with the data link (lightbridge) connection?

I can't imagine the laser causing problems with your radio control of the Phantom. But I suppose it could confuse the VPS unit on the Phantom.

I can't imagine the laser causing problems with your radio control of the Phantom. But I suppose it could confuse the VPS unit on the Phantom.
I can't imagine it either the only reason I bring it up is because of the suprise motion of the camera/drone.... VPS was on (even tho it didn't need to be) probably seems the most likely cause... Perhaps for a moment thought it was above a close object? All I do know is that I'm lucky the camera wasn't damaged...

Hey guys i'm looking for thoughts and opinions on this one...

I suffered a momentary loss of control immediately after a green laser was fired at my P3. It was a gusty evening, and possibly wind might have knocked the drone a little but it was strange how it seemed to time with the laser, and I was flying for a total of 30-40 mins (change of battery) and only experienced this once... I did notice drifting caused by wind but this has stumped me... Could it be possible a laser could interfere with the data link (lightbridge) connection?

well... I am just spitballing here... but if it hit the visual positioning system - could that have caused a strange behavior?

Reactions: stargater07
That was a classic gimbal reset if you ask me.

Probably best to turn off the VPS when flying outside then as a precaution. Worse case scenario a laser to it may cause a crash!

Considering green lasers have a wavelength of ~550nm (Are Green Laser Pointers Dangerous? - LASER Classroom™), and 2.4ghz RF have a wavelength of 1.25x10^8nm (Gordon's Information, Communications and Engineering Technologies Blog: Calculating Wavelength If Frequency Is Known), it's basically impossible for a laser to cause control signal interference.

What it does/could do to the camera/VPS, I have no idea.

Thanks for that. Most people are putting it down to either the VPS or a gust of wind... im more likely to believe it as an issue with the VPS...

I've got a very high intensity Green Laser but I would have to be many yards away before I would test it even though I know it can't (or odds are greatly against it) have any effect on the aircraft other than destroying the camera sensor if you were to hit it. Any damage is immediate and irreparable. Same goes with your own eyes.

For the record I use mine for a very specific job/task. We use them in Salt Water REEF tanks to literally boil parasitic organisms and nuisance algae. The laser is directed at the spot of interest, energized and literally within seconds you can hear the item popping from the instant boiling and the item is neutralized. Nothing else is harmed and it's quick n easy. You just have to protect your own eyes and make sure no one else is in the room where you are LOL.

Reactions: SilverStone641

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl