Great press!

"The FAA said US Airways Flight 4650 from Charlotte, N.C., a 50-seat jet, was approaching Tallahassee airport when it passed the drone, which the pilot described "as a camouflaged F-4 fixed-wing aircraft that was quite small." The drone was more similar to a model aircraft flown by hobbyists rather than a so-called quadcopter that many see as the type of unmanned aircraft with commercial potential."

Nice copter photo to go with the headline.

This part is interesting!

Airliners and business jets in the U.S. are also equipped with traffic-collision-avoidance systems, which show pilots other aircraft in the area. But those systems only function for aircraft with certain transponders, which are required on large manned aircraft but not on drones.

Why would they ( NOT ) put Transpoders, on any hobby aircraft,
That can accend above the set safe altitude limit? ( or high enough to collide with commercial airliner )
We have no fly zones! Well we know what is to come from this!

This seems a bit freaky to me, and uncool! Im hoping it was a fly away situation,
And not some moron, putting hundreds of innocent people at risk, for a video
Or a picture of a moving jetliner!

Take care, Fly SAFE!

J Dot said:
Why would they ( NOT ) put Transpoders, on any hobby aircraft,
That can accend above the set safe altitude limit? ( or high enough to collide with commercial airliner )

Assuming that you're not putting us on with that question - Here is your answer:

CessnaARC-RT-359ATransponder04.jpg

Lol, I guess that would be a bit more than our birds could handle! Lol

I used To race RC cars, and some of the larger tracks use very tiny Transpoders
On each car to count laps, record speed, ect! Again, not the same tech, but just thought it would be
Logical, to add SOME KIND of fail safe for commercial aircraft.

I had an incident once with someone in a homemade looking helicopter,
I was flying my P2V , just above the tree tops, when a small helicopter, came from behind me,
Passing ( surprisingly close ) to my P2V, I tried rapidly decending, but as we all know,
Is a slow procedure! He came out of NOWHERE, flying extremely LOW! Luckily it was early
Evening, and my lights were HIGHLY visible! But still scared me for a few moments!

Thanks for the info, I did not realize the Transpoders units were SO large!

Take care, and Fly SAFE!

panhygrous pantler said:
"The FAA said US Airways Flight 4650 from Charlotte, N.C., a 50-seat jet, was approaching Tallahassee airport when it passed the drone, which the pilot described "as a camouflaged F-4 fixed-wing aircraft that was quite small." The drone was more similar to a model aircraft flown by hobbyists rather than a so-called quadcopter that many see as the type of unmanned aircraft with commercial potential."

Nice copter photo to go with the headline.

NBC reported this evening that it was a military drone (large) that the US Airways pilot reportedly saw not a quad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl