Great first week with Phantom 3 Advanced

Reaction score
I am a former GA pilot with some experience flying non-GPS quadcopters, who decided that he couldn't resist upgrading to a Phantom 3 Advanced when DJI put them on sale. I found a great deal online ($719) and it arrived in three days, well before the other 14 bits-and-pieces I ordered to accessorize it (still waiting for most of them).

The P3A got into the air for the first time a week ago and it has since accumulated a total of 15 flights. It has been a great first week and I am really enjoying this bird. A few stats:

> 2 hours, 28 mins in the air
> 42,465 meters total distance (26.4 miles)
> 7,080 meters longest flight (4.4 miles)
> 3,337 meters greatest distance from home (2.1 miles)
> 201 meters greatest altitude (659 feet - next to a mountain slope, my AGL was about 15 meters)
> Fastest ground speed: 39.5 mph
> Longest duration flight: 15:38
> Lowest landing battery power: 26%
> Fastest wind speed encountered at altitude: 30.3 mph

All the flights so far have taken place in the high Mohave Desert, mostly over a lot of nothing. I've been flying increasingly longer distances to build confidence for those kind of operations. My goal is to get ready for a photographic (and video) expedition to the Florida Keys, where I want to use the Phantom to explore offshore reefs and small islands. If you have ever been down there, you know the seascape is incredibly beautiful and I am excited about capturing imagery of it from moderate altitudes.

Let me close this first week of new adventures by thanking the folks on this forum who share their knowledge and experience; it has really helped me to quickly travel up the learning curve.

Attachments

• Landers-panorama-2016b.jpg
    Landers-panorama-2016b.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Reactions: azagil
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Phanton. Taking your time to familiarize yourself before being more adventurous is one of the smartest things one can do. The Florida Keys will be absolutely beautiful to fly over, be sure to post pictures for all of us to see.

Reactions: Ralph M

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen