Granite Reef Dam shot in infrared

Reaction score
Second demo from my IR Modified Phantom 4. This is an irrigation dam on the Salt River near Mesa, AZ.
Shot over two days with different cloud covers. Lots of wires and poles sticking up so didn't want to get in too low and risk a crash.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: azgeek
Interesting. Did you do the conversion or did you have someone else do it? What wavelength is captured? Is the original video file of a particular color tint? What do you find you gain by that modification?

Reactions: BuiDoi
Interesting. Did you do the conversion or did you have someone else do it? What wavelength is captured? Is the original video file of a particular color tint? What do you find you gain by that modification?

I replaced the P4 lens with an IR Pass filter from irpro-store

details my conversion process and the initial flights. With no correction at all, the output has a red cast to it. I set the P4 to Black and White to eliminate that part of post processing. For the most part post for me is just picking the scenes. Didn't need any color or contrast changes. I have noticed it is real sensitive to glare so a hood may be in order.

The IR Pass lens passes 800mm and up. So no visible light. But Sam at IR-PRO has other lens of different wavelengths. Total conversion was 30 minutes and $150. Stress is pretty high a wrong step and you have a blind bird.

Reactions: flyboy73
Thank you. I had that mod done to a DSLR a few years back. I've found the photos I am most happy with have good, bright lighting, and with subjects, such as trees with good contrast. I like your video results. Do you use them for a particular commercial purpose?

Reactions: FlyGary
Thank you. I had that mod done to a DSLR a few years back. I've found the photos I am most happy with have good, bright lighting, and with subjects, such as trees with good contrast. I like your video results. Do you use them for a particular commercial purpose?
Haven't come up with a commercial venture for it yet. I did it mainly because I like the look of IR and B&W. Maybe a throwback to my film days in the dark room.

Reactions: flyboy73

Very cool. Granite reef is a great place to photograph. May try a flight there (noting what you said about poles and wires) the next time I am in the area.

Very cool. Granite reef is a great place to photograph. May try a flight there (noting what you said about poles and wires) the next time I am in the area.
Let me know if you come out this way. I live about 2 miles from it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic