GPS

Reaction score
HI Guys new here been crashing cheap drones for a few years now LOL just purchased P3S. I also got an adapter for my iPad Air 2 WiFi only to attach to the remote. I have not received the drone as of yet but have been going some reading on the Wifi only models not having GPS.

On my iPad I'm able to connect to my iPhone via bluetooth wile still maintaining my Wifi connection. Open hotspot on iPhone connect by way of bluetooth. I go into iPad settings and I'm connected to my phone bluetooth and under wifi I'm still connected to my network. I did do some speed tests to confirm speed.

With that set up the iPhone is sharing its bluetooth GPS capabilities with the iPad so in theory I can connect WiFi to the drone with the iPad and connect the iPad with my iPhone via bluetooth to share the GPS data........... sound about right? Possible? I know the connections are sound just not sure about the rest as I can't test it yet.

thoughts...

Unfortunately the GPS is not shared with the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I only need GPS to work for the return to home feature just in case i mess up and I'm sure I will.

If I connect my iPad to my iPhone via bluetooth it will use that connection to share GPS when I open maps it finds me, BUT at the same time my iPad is connect to WiFi, my understanding is that the bird operates on a connected WiFi signal and in order to use the RTH feature I need GPS and connecting my iPad to iPhone via bluetooth will do that... correct

I only need GPS to work for the return to home feature just in case i mess up and I'm sure I will.

If I connect my iPad to my iPhone via bluetooth it will use that connection to share GPS when I open maps it finds me, BUT at the same time my iPad is connect to WiFi, my understanding is that the bird operates on a connected WiFi signal and in order to use the RTH feature I need GPS and connecting my iPad to iPhone via bluetooth will do that... correct
Your Phantom has a fine GPS unit of its own and can easily manage to RTH and all the other flight functions that use GPS.
The only use for a GPS in your phone or tablet is for Follow-Me flight or resetting home point to the current location of the controller (if you are moving a lot like on a moving boat)
So if you don't have GPS in your tablet it won't affect much at all.

Reactions: Tony B

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj