GPS Warning

Reaction score
I received this Email and thought at first it was a hoax. I called the contact number at the end of the email and they verified this problem with GPS testing that is going on.
My concern is, if this is legit, which for all I can verify it is, is that there may be some unexplained fly-aways in the near future.
==============================================

As a representative of Lexus Escondido I want to apologize for the inconvenience you may be experiencing. We are happy to report that your vehicle is operating correctly and Lexus is not responsible for the concerns.

Please note. There is a 'GPS interference testing', which is being conducted by the Government. This is also affecting your Navigation system.

Please note the following dates.

On June 7, 9, 21, 23, 28, and 30th the GPS interference testing will be taking place between 9:30am and 3:30pm Pacific time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3630029/What-Government-testing-Secret-California-tests-black-GPS-six-hours-day.html

What IS the Government testing? Secret California tests to black out GPS for six hours a day

• Advisory warns ‘all aircraft relying on GPS’ over the area may feel effects

• 'GPS interference testing' may disrupt signals as low as 50 ft above ground

• It says that GPS signals may be ‘unreliable or unavailable’ for hours

By CHEYENNE MACDONALD FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 14:49 EST, 7 June 2016 | UPDATED: 15:32 EST, 7 June 2016
  • The US government is conducting a series of mysterious tests on the West Coast that could disrupt GPS signals for hundreds of miles around.

In a document published this weekend, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued a flight advisory for six days this month, when the ‘GPS interference testing’ will occur.

The first event takes place today, and could render GPS signals as low as 50 feet above the ground ‘unreliable or unavailable’ for hours.
FAA.JPG

Sincerely,
Lisa Mitchell
Internet Sales Manager
760-690-2755 (Service Center #)

This email was sent to: [email protected].
From: Lexus Escondido 1205 Auto Park Way Escondido, CA 92029

Update Preferences - to update your communication preferences.
Unsubscribe - to stop all future email communications.

[DOC_808_NO]

Might not be good when flying Quad, then all of a sudden it does the famous "Fly away" and you're out big bucks because you were not warned this was going to take place. That's why I posted as soon as I was aware.
Oh I agree ..Why I posted it when I saw it . Nobody looks in the news much anymore :)

Reactions: DaveWithDrone
Why would this bother a P3 or P4? They rely on the Glonass GPS system as well. Since the government is to disrupt only the U.S. GPS System your P3/4 will use the Glonass System. Isn't this why DJI incorporated both GPS systems in case of a failure to one system or the other?

I don
Why would this bother a P3 or P4? They rely on the Glonass GPS system as well. Since the government is to disrupt only the U.S. GPS System your P3/4 will use the Glonass System. Isn't this why DJI incorporated both GPS systems in case of a failure to one system or the other?
I don't see anywhere in this reporting that it will disrupt "the" U.S. GPS System. It says black out GPS , which tells me all GPS systems... But then again, maybe that's just the way I interpret it.

I don

I don't see anywhere in this reporting that it will disrupt "the" U.S. GPS System. It says black out GPS , which tells me all GPS systems... But then again, maybe that's just the way I interpret it.
I believe the Glonass systems use a different frequency than ours do.

I believe the Glonass systems use a different frequency than ours do.
Okay, but since the claim is "it's a disrupting of GPS systems" and you are comfortable with flying at the times they are doing that, then fly at those times............ I felt that if someone else had this info, I would like to know about it..... So I posted it.

Last edited:
When the Phantom loses GPS it does not just 'fly away'. Just keep in mind that RTH might not work as expected. No worries. Just fly LOS in ATTI mode. Not too high, not too far.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When the Phantom loses GPS it does not just 'fly away'. Just keep in mind that RTH might not work as expected. No worries. Just fly LOS in ATTI mode. Not too high, not too far.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Interesting, I did have a GPS loss about 4 months ago, and indeed it did a "fly away" as it lost orientation as to where it was in relation to me and controls from the transmitter such as forward are now "go left" or whatever, and when this happens it is so quick and confusing it is a mess....AND, RTH has no idea where you are now and will LOS recovery come into play in time when these things just all of a sudden pop up?

Last edited:
I don

Seriously? The Glonass GPS System is the Russian GPS System. Do you honestly think the U.S. would even think of trying to disrupt ALL GPS Including the Russian system without some serious repercussions from the Russian Government?

The disruption may be just that. A disruption, but locally. Jamming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Seriously? The Glonass GPS System is the Russian GPS System. Do you honestly think the U.S. would even think of trying to disrupt ALL GPS Including the Russian system without some serious repercussions from the Russian Government?

The Russians have no right or reasonable expectation that signals that they broadcast from satellites will not be affected or degraded locally within US borders.

Do you honestly think the U.S. would even think of trying to disrupt ALL GPS Including the Russian system without some serious repercussions from the Russian Government?

Yes. For reasons of national security. Repercussions for a sovereign country's action's within their own borders that has no affect on another?

SB

Checking NOTAMs before you fly is Always a good idea :)

KZLA LOS ANGELES (ARTCC)PALMDALE, CA.
06/049 (A1581/16) - NAV (YPG GPS 16-01) GPS (INCLUDING WAAS, GBAS, AND
ADS-B) MAY NOT BE AVBL WI A 219NM RADIUS CENTERED AT 332343N1142152W
(BLH 108023) FL400-UNL DECREASING IN AREA WITH A DECREASE IN ALT
DEFINED AS:
171NM RADIUS AT FL250,
122NM RADIUS AT 10000FT,
126NM RADIUS AT 4000FT AGL,
87NM RADIUS AT 50FT AGL.
THIS NOTAM APPLIES TO ALL AIRCRAFT RELYING ON GPS. ADDITIONALLY, DUE
TO GPS INTERFERENCE IMPACT POTENTIALLY AFFECTING EMBRAER PHENOM 300
AIRCRAFT FLIGHT STABILITY CONTROLS, THE FAA RECOMMENDS EMBRAER
PHENOM PILOTS AVOID THE ABOVE TESTING AREA AND CLOSELY MONITOR
FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMS DUE TO POTENTIAL LOSS OF GPS SIGNAL.
DLY 1830-2230. 11 JUN 18:30 2016 UNTIL 12 JUN 22:30 2016. CREATED: 08 JUN 15:52

Last edited:
Glonass is a different frequency, but it is also easier to scramble and black out. I would bet a slice of pizza that glonass is part of the 'experiement' as well since the objective is to clearly wipe positional GPS from an area. I just dont understand why they are doing it in the US. Isnt that what we lease Cuba for, or have bases in hostile regions?

Glonass is a different frequency, but it is also easier to scramble and black out.

Why you say this?

GPS uses a single frequency for all SVs while Glonass SVs each have their own frequency.

On the surface it would seem 'jamming' one frequency is easier than the same for multiple frequencies.

Last edited:
. I just dont understand why they are doing it in the US. Isnt that what we lease Cuba for, or have bases in hostile regions?
Maybe they don't want to mess it up where it is being used in hostile regions

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj