GPS vs Atti vs Manual Mode

Reaction score
So what mode do you like the most i think i like the Atti Mode the most because the phantom is rather slow in GPS Mode especelly decending and Manual Mode is nothing for me. I start in Atti Mode and fly upp than i switch on GPS mode to hover and than i turn on Course Lock and rotate the Phantom slowly then i turn back to Atti Mode and turn off Course Lock when i want to bring it closer to the ground.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
iv done fifty flights in atti mode and
never used gps or manual modes as
iv put the fc40 out to sea a good few times
and don't want it landing in the drink lol :)
a would defo never use manual for fear of loss of control :shock:
not sure about gps lots of people seem to have issues with it :?

i always use gps, done possibly 2 runs in atti but the stability & position holding is fantastic

It depends on what I'm doing really.

GPS mode: I probably use this more than I should, but it's very good for photos, windy days, and gives me piece of mind when flying further out, and most importantly, it seems to save my battery better than the other modes since I'm usually more tempted to fly fast in atti mode.

ATTI mode: I mostly use this for fun flying since it's faster than gps mode, and on calm days, it's great for steadier videos as long as you don't hit that throttle too hard which will drain the battery I mentioned above. (can easily lose 2-3 minutes of flight time by flying hard)

Manual mode: Ah yes, the dreaded manual mode, I actually like to play around with it from time to time, but found a few great uses for it such as dropping altitude fast, or if you get stuck in a strong wind that gps/atti mode can't get you out of, manual mode can give you that extra kick to get out of it. I'm far from mastering it, but the people I seen who know how fly it like a boss can really unleash the beast inside that thing, and if you listen closely you can even hear it giving that evil phantom moan like *OOOooOOOooOOOooOOooOOO*

sorry to sound stupid, but what/where is "manual" mode. I've got gps/atti/failsafe on the right flick switch, how do you select manual

p fandango said:
sorry to sound stupid, but what/where is "manual" mode. I've got gps/atti/failsafe on the right flick switch, how do you select manual

In the assistant software you can change that fail-safe option to the manual option.

toorboy said:
iv done fifty flights in atti mode and
never used gps or manual modes as
iv put the fc40 out to sea a good few times
and don't want it landing in the drink lol :)
a would defo never use manual for fear of loss of control :shock:
not sure about gps lots of people seem to have issues with it :?

I think it's more risky to fly out to sea in ATTI mode, then in GPS mode. In ATTI mode, a problem will cause the craft to try to land on the spot. In GPS mode, it will try to fly home and then land.

GPS mode shouldn't be problematic, unless you try to fly on a cloudy day/night. I've only had one GPS issue with my Phantom and that happened yesterday. It was cloudy and foggy. Whenever I went to film, I'd lose 2 - 3 satellites immediately, leaving my Vision Plus with 6 satellites locked on. Not enough for my piece of mind.

p fandango said:

If you're planning on using manual mode, I have a few tips for ya. First of all, start off in gps mode and get a good amount of altitude before flipping that switch for the first time, because things can go very bad, very fast. Also, if things get too out of control, you can always flip it back to gps mode to level back out and save your phantom. In manual mode, the phantom will fly much faster than atti mode, and the controls are like trying to balance on a big rubber ball, if you move the right stick forward, it'll keep tilting until you let off the stick, and when you let off the right stick, it'll stay in that possition until you move the right stick back again. Also as soon as you switch into manual mode, it'll tend to either gain altitude or lose a little based on my personal experiences and others I've talked to in the forums. Other than that, you should be ok, just take it easy, and always remember, if things go bad, flip back to gps, even if you're upside down!

I use all 3 modes, I fly over the ocean, knowing it dont matter what mode im in if something goes bad im going in :eek: , had a few close calls, went into VRS , came out about 10 ft , 9450 props stopped that, flying over water is great, just walk outside and put her up, live on the water. lots of water here :p

I am still in the beginning stages of learning to fly. I have only flown in GPS mode. How differently will the P3 fly in ATTI mode? How long does it take to transition from one mode to the other? I know I need to be able to fly in ATTI but haven't had the nerve to switch over in flight yet.

Reactions: René Wilhelm
Anyone have a video that shows the 3 modes in comparison???

Anyone have a video that shows the 3 modes in comparison???

A video is not needed.

GPS mode is like parking the quad in mid-air (when sticks are released) and it not moving position up/down/left/right/forward/backward and is typically slower horizontal speeds.

Atti[tude] mode keeps the quad level and maintains the height above the ground ONLY and will be pushed around by winds and air currents. It typically is faster horizontally.

Manual mode offers NO attitude, altitude, or position assistance and YOU must maintain all 6 axes in flight.
It has been removed from all DJI Phantoms since and including the P3 variants.

Thankyou for the explanation. I meant the 'F' mode (bottom switch position)...isn't that manual?

i have phantom 2,just moved over to naza mode...was testing different modes..and hit second ati button..i think it is manual mode...i got a fright the phantom gained height rapidly...i had to turn off controller to regain controll...wont do that again

In the assistant software you can change that fail-safe option to the manual option.

GPS mode shouldn't be problematic, unless you try to fly on a cloudy day/night. I've only had one GPS issue with my Phantom and that happened yesterday. It was cloudy and foggy. Whenever I went to film, I'd lose 2 - 3 satellites immediately, leaving my Vision Plus with 6 satellites locked on. Not enough for my piece of mind.

Try the improve gps for vision , i used several layers of tinfoil between tape against short circuit and did not lose any satellites with filming after that

back to ontopic:
I always use gps mode

i have phantom 2,just moved over to naza mode...was testing different modes..and hit second ati button..i think it is manual mode...i got a fright the phantom gained height rapidly...i had to turn off controller to regain controll...wont do that again

The bottom position of the right switch is ATTI mode by default(same as the middle position). Using NazaM software you can program this position as "Manual mode" ( no assinstance at all by GPS and/or barometer) or "Fail safe & return to home" mode. It seems your quad was programmed for this last mode, so, when you switched, after few seconds it entered the return to home mode, whose first action is to rise quote up to 20 mt, then go on the vertical of the home position and , finally, land.
To gain back control it is necessary to go back in ATTI mode(NOT GPS mode). All this is well explained in the DJI Phantom and NazaM instruction manuals.

Will my Phantom fly home before a mission is finished, if the battery is to low to finish the mission. I mean if the last wp is to far away to make it back.??

Only a newer model phantom has that capability. You have to use a timer and go by that if you have not installed an OSD that gives you battery information on a screen. There are other options, but I prefer and installed an OSD to give flight info on my screen.

Only a newer model phantom has that capability. You have to use a timer and go by that if you have not installed an OSD that gives you battery information on a screen. There are other options, but I prefer and installed an OSD to give flight info on my screen.
Tank you for your reply. I just got my Phantom 3 standard and got the litchi app (Much better than DJI Go) I send it on a mission well beyond the range of the RC (lost signal for quite a while). It came back on comletion of the mission (I was happy). I am just wondering what is happening if the mission is to long for the battery life. Will it abort the mission and come back when the battery is critically low? Thank you in advance.

Wel today I had my first flight in atti mode, what a joy! So much smoother and really nice to fly..I don't think I will be using GPS mode too much but it does have its uses obviously..
But I love the way it slows down in atti mode, nice and level and no sudden braking..
Can't wait for next time out now.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Squirrel!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik