GPS upgrade fail?

Reaction score
I'm brand new.
Phantom v2.0.

bought a v2.0, got a buzzcam 4mm GPS upgrade, melted the old solder and removed the 2mm GPS, put the new 4mm GPS on, went well, was gentle and careful.

All back together, switched it on and tried to calibrate, flick GPS switch 5 times, solid yellow, turn on flat axis, green, turn on vertical axis and rotate, slow blinking yellow, tried this inside and outside, still the same, melted the solder again just in case but it still gave slow yellow blinking.

I can start the motors still,
Software shows GPS but first data column is empty.

Took 4mm off and put original GPS back on, still get yellow blinking, so I put the 4mm GPS on again, and advanced recalibrated in the software with tx switched off, now I get all colours flashing fast continually.

I don't think the GPS module is broken as u can fly the drone, it's just not getting any GPS, or I missed something.
It's switched up to GPS and all the wires are connected, I don't think I damaged anything, now neither GPS antenna works.

I'm brand new.
Phantom v2.0.

bought a v2.0, got a buzzcam 4mm GPS upgrade, melted the old solder and removed the 2mm GPS, put the new 4mm GPS on, went well, was gentle and careful.

All back together, switched it on and tried to calibrate, flick GPS switch 5 times, solid yellow, turn on flat axis, green, turn on vertical axis and rotate, slow blinking yellow, tried this inside and outside, still the same, melted the solder again just in case but it still gave slow yellow blinking.

I can start the motors still,
Software shows GPS but first data column is empty.

Took 4mm off and put original GPS back on, still get yellow blinking, so I put the 4mm GPS on again, and advanced recalibrated in the software with tx switched off, now I get all colours flashing fast continually.

I don't think the GPS module is broken as u can fly the drone, it's just not getting any GPS, or I missed something.
It's switched up to GPS and all the wires are connected, I don't think I damaged anything, now neither GPS antenna works.

You may have very well damaged the GPS PCB.

Are you using this to ID the LED codes?:
Naza-M-V2 LED Description - DJI Wiki

You can use the Assistant software to get some additional error info. as well.

You may have very well damaged the GPS PCB.

Are you using this to ID the LED codes?:
Naza-M-V2 LED Description - DJI Wiki

You can use the Assistant software to get some additional error info. as well.

from what i can find the problem is the gps signal, slow yellow flashing.

It has now gone back to slow yellow flashing.
I have used a multi meter to test the circuit, i can get continuity from the back of the GPS antenna to the end of the connector that goes into the socket on the main board marked GPS, ie..... the meter beeps to let me know there is a continous conection from antenna to connector.
i was very carefull when soldering, but the only possibilty is that i may have left soldering iron on to long,
1. nothing looks burnt.
2. i did not touch anything else.
3. assistant software can see the gps module, it shows the codes,
4. if i pull the GPS module out it goes back to 000000 codes.
5. i can start the phantom and spin the motors, so i can fly it.
6. that would mean the module is speaking to the main board.
7. possible fine circuit damage could cause only an individual problem that allows everything to work but stops GPS signal, (this is heading into the unknown for me now) independant gps circuit damage would require testing each chip. or some sort of software that can test the board. i dont think dji go that far with assistant.
8. hard reset?
9. some people have had the same problem and fixed it with a new board, some people have pulled on wires and solved the problem, some people said it just went away.
10. I ADMIT IT, I GOT GREEDY AND THOUGHT A SIMPLE SOLDER WOULD MAKE A BIG IMPROVMENT TO SOMETHING THAT ALREADY WORKED FINE. 10 POUND AND ONE SOLDER SEEMED SO ATTRACTIVE.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You wrote:
"i can get continuity from the back of the GPS antenna to the end of the connector that goes into the socket on the main board marked GPS, ie..... the meter beeps to let me know there is a continous conection from antenna to connector."

This is the Ground.
The antenna feed terminates at the GPS engine module not the GPS PCB and will NOT appear on any PCB cable socket, etc.

This does not really indicate anything to do with this issue except you know Ground is harmonized.

Don't overlook the obvious... If all worked well prior to this adventure and not afterwards, as said before it is likely you have damaged your GPS PCB.

You wrote:
"i can get continuity from the back of the GPS antenna to the end of the connector that goes into the socket on the main board marked GPS, ie..... the meter beeps to let me know there is a continous conection from antenna to connector."

This is the Ground.
The antenna feed terminates at the GPS engine module not the GPS PCB and will NOT appear on any PCB cable socket, etc.

This does not really indicate anything to do with this issue except you know Ground is harmonized.

Don't overlook the obvious... If all worked well prior to this adventure and not afterwards, as said before it is likely you have damaged your GPS PCB.

I just did a hard reset and then upgraded all the software, its still doign the same thing.
i will try it outside again and see what happens.

i guess your right, i put the orginal GPS antenna back on and still got the same problem, resoldered tha new one and still nothing.

I guess the only way to tell is
1. BUY A NEW ONE.
2. PUT IN ONE FROM A WORKING MODEL
3. PUT THIS ONE IN ANOTHER MODEL AND SEE IF THE SAME ISSUE OCCURS.

i think i would prefer to try one from a workign model before ordering a new board, just to make sure the issue has not moved somewhere else.

thank you for your help.

ONE MORE THING TO TRY.

could i have kmocked the compass out and it needs to be reset (magnet trick)???????????

i say this because i can calibrate it level and get the green light, but when i do the vertical calibration, thats what it wont do, it just goes to yellow.

maybe its getting both calibrated and it should get 2 green lights but because the GPS might be broken it wont give the second green light despite the vertical calibration being sussesfull.

1) GPS worked fine (but 'I' wanted more)
2) Swap antenna, No GPS
3) 'Un-swap' GPS antenna, still no GPS.
4) the action(s) of #2 above is problem.

If you didn't trim the bits of plastic from under the puck then when you put the puck in you bent the board when you tightened the screws, i did this on mine and if I bent the board slightly it would work, i had to buy a new unit in the end

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you didn't trim the bits of plastic from under the puck then when you put the puck in you bent the board when you tightened the screws, i did this on mine and if I bent the board slightly it would work, i had to buy a new unit in the end

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

i did trim them back. i guess it was down to heat, or maybe electrostatic, but others have hammered there gps when changin the antenna, i was carefull, oh well.

might just upgrade the whole antenna to the ublox external one instead, i am not buying another dji one and then risking braking it again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj