Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GPS tracking

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by karmakazi, Jul 17, 2014.

1. karmakazi

****, I've had my Phantom 2 V+ three days already and haven't even tried flying it yet. First I just wanted to get all my ducks in a row and learn the controls/functions (plus I've been waiting for my smartphone to arrive in the mail for my FPV) but then I've been reading so many horror stories about fly aways. I can't imagine paying the amount of money I did and then having the unit just fly away to never be seen again. I've been researching some GPS tracking devices and I came across the "Drone Mods UAV Locater" http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UA ... -DM005.htm and it seems like the best solution. Unfortunately it's currently out of stock. So to have something for now, yesterday I ordered the Loc8tor Lite http://www.loc8tor.com/everyday/loc8tor-lite.html/#Faq . Anyway, was just curious if anyone has any experience with either units or am I just being paranoid?

2. wewin1

3. karmakazi

I guess the way I look at it is if I do loose it and I am walking around searching for it if I get within 400 ft of it I will be better off than having nothing at all. I'll take a look at your links though. I do remember looking at the Tagg Pet Tracker and dismissing for some reason. I do like the idea of only having to pay 5 dollars a month for the Drone Mods UAV Locator. I have seen some others that are more expensive and the DM's is geared toward RC hobbyists.

4. Mori55

Seriously the thread right before this is all about gps trackers , all you want to know. I'd read it.

5. karmakazi

Thanks for the info. I ran across this thread earlier but only had time to browse the first few posts. I'll give it a closer look.

6. karmakazi

Woops, spoke to soon, it was this post (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19729) I spotted earlier......will check 'em both out. P.S. Took my firs flight yesterday, this thing flies smooth as silk. Can't wait to take it out again.

7. karmakazi

Decided to go with the Pocketfinder, found a great deal on Ebay, $69.99 plus shipping. It gets here and theres no activation code included. Guy had answered all my e-mails up until the point I asked him about the code. Started dispute proceedings.

8. bergenfelter

Code should be on the sticker in the back of the pocketfinder. Just bought a new one on Amazon for MT P2P+ - works great.

9. bergenfelter

10. karmakazi

Yep, tech support told me there would be a sticker, mine has been removed. From what I gather it's not "new" in the box. Really bummed, found a great way to mount it and I'm ready to go. Just need activation. Still waiting to see if the Ebay seller will write me back.