Gps tracking for phantom

If it is Bluetooth, NO, it would be pointless...

PB30X said:

Why would it be pointless?

I lost my P1 in the woods. I tried many search and rescue operations with my p2, but no luck. I think if I had a tracker broadcasting a beacon, even with only a 100' range, I'd almost certainly have found it. I "estimated" my p1 went down about 500' away. With a tracker and cell phone attached to my P2, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to find it.

Thoughts (especially from anyone who has lost a drone?)

Keep in mind that you would prefer a system what is self powered.

In my last crags the p2 battery came out so no power from the main system...

So if you were in the boonies and couldn't call out, I take it all you would need to do is drive somewhere where you can make a call and than retrieve you coordinates. You could than use a pocket GPS and go back to the area and go to the coordinates you retrieved and hopefully find your bird.

Yes, but also keep in mind the unit uses cell service. I've really never been able to not locate when testing. I do it every flight to ensure I have signal.

Ohary said:
PB30X said:

Why would it be pointless?

I lost my P1 in the woods. I tried many search and rescue operations with my p2, but no luck. I think if I had a tracker broadcasting a beacon, even with only a 100' range, I'd almost certainly have found it. I "estimated" my p1 went down about 500' away. With a tracker and cell phone attached to my P2, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to find it.

Thoughts (especially from anyone who has lost a drone?)

Bluetooth only works roughly 0-100ft tops depending on terrain, los, Surroundings. Ah Yes, Choices, and arguments of what's better. Sorry for saying pointless, but it rather is to me.. For beacon use, maybe, but for piece of mind within cell tower communications I'd trust a fully functional GPS unit self powered. Just my opinion, and feel Bluetooth is useless in a large radius search if you should lose your aircraft.. Allot of valid research and points have been made prior to my response. I'm satisfied with what I'm using, but also am looking for a possible upgrade to something similar to Garmin Rino GPS tracking for them deep wooded searches without cellphone coverage.. Again, many options, the research and choice is up to you to make this conclusion. After all, it is an expensive toy to begin with lol.... Good Luck[emoji4]

Yea anything Bluetooth wouldn't work for me either. Only if you flew in really short distances. I guess if you were going to walk a grid and try to find the drone it might cut down some steps.

I really don't want to dump a crapload more $ on something more robust especially if it requires a cell phone plan.

I guess I wouldn't be posting this if I hadn't lost a Phantom already and wish I had ANYTHING more than jsut my name and phone number. The woods up here are pretty dense.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj