GPS Tracker

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I have phantom 3 and i want to mount a gps tracker on it. The question is
Which product you use and recommend? And hoew to use it?

For example: if the phantom was on the air and I request gps location will interfere with the phantom gps and cause it to lose balance and crash?
Here is a video that used RF-V16 tracker and when he requested gps position the phantom crashed!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does this mean only request gps location in-case of lost or flyaways only? or how to use the tracker actually?
By the way, i may buy a Trackimo Tracker.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know that I believe the narrative on that video....but I have trust issues so...just sayin. :)

first off - where in the world do you reside? Different devices (GSM, 3G, 4G) for different continents is the reason I ask. Some devices require a prepay SIM - again different options for different wireless carriers.

In the US use the Trackimo. I haven't lost the Phantom yet, and don't plan to but the Trackimo will remind me when I move the Phantom and every 10 days or so that the battery is at 10%...

I just got a Trackimo and used it for the first time. I set it to transmit its location once/minute. Set-up was very easy, and I mounted it on my camera-guard that goes between the 2 legs of the landing gear. Readings overall seem accurate, although once in a while there is a bizarro reading 1/4 mile away (not sure why yet).

I just got a Trackimo and used it for the first time. I set it to transmit its location once/minute. Set-up was very easy, and I mounted it on my camera-guard that goes between the 2 legs of the landing gear. Readings overall seem accurate, although once in a while there is a bizarro reading 1/4 mile away (not sure why yet).
I'd go with the Trackimo too. That's what I use. You can mount on a gimbal guard real easily and some people have mounted to the battery. Super accurate and I have mine to update at 1 minute too. The big thing is you have a solid tracking backup in case of s fly away or crash. Plus it will broadcast for about 48 hours giving you more time to locate it.

It mounts with Velcro but don't forget to tether it too as a way to keep it with the Phantom in a crash. I used fishing line attached to a leg.

Also put a label on the drone with your cell. Offer a reward and you should get it back.

Firstly I have the RF-V16 tracker and it looks nothing like that so it must be an old one if it is at all, secondly it is on a P2 vision using 5.8Hz not a P3 on 2.4Hz with lightbridge and thirdly even if there was a risk, which I don't think there is, with the pilot app you would not have any need to request a GPS location unless you had a fly away and it went out off range of the controller.

I use the RF V16 Tracker on the P3P, velcroed on the back of the battery. Works perfectly, i have live tracking turned off so there is no chance of the gps updating interfering with the P3, if i ever needed to know i just text it for its location and it will reply with a google maps link which is very accurate. There is no need to have the live tracking switched on anyhow as you don't need to know its every move all the time especially as we have flight logs in dji pilot, you can choose how regular the tracker updates to the web from i think 1 min up to every 20mins if live data is switched on.
The tracker in the video must be an older version of the rf v16 as JayB said, mine is black in colour and only weighs 27 grams, the one in the video is much bigger and 57 grams in white colour.

2z8pw5t.jpg

67v1as.jpg

28iu72g.jpg

A good review of the RF V16 Tracker is here. http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/

I use the RF V16 Tracker on the P3P, velcroed on the back of the battery. Works perfectly, i have live tracking turned off so there is no chance of the gps updating interfering with the P3, if i ever needed to know i just text it for its location and it will reply with a google maps link which is very accurate. There is no need to have the live tracking switched on anyhow as you don't need to know its every move all the time especially as we have flight logs in dji pilot, you can choose how regular the tracker updates to the web from i think 1 min up to every 20mins if live data is switched on.
The tracker in the video must be an older version of the rf v16 as JayB said, mine is black in colour and only weighs 27 grams, the one in the video is much bigger and 57 grams in white colour.

2z8pw5t.jpg

67v1as.jpg

28iu72g.jpg

A good review of the RF V16 Tracker is here. http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/

If you set it to 1 minute it turns on the GPS permanently rather than for just 30 seconds when requesting an update. I have it set to 1 min then use the gon# and goff# commands to switch it on and off, it just means that if it is struggling to lock on to GPS you can switch it on permanently for a short while and it gives you a better chance of locking on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.