GPS Tracker to recommend? Other methods?

Reaction score
Hi,

after reading all the flyaway stories I feel the need to add a gps tracker to my bird. can you guys recommend some brand/models and where to get them?

also besides GPS, what else can be done in a case of flyaway? (cross fingers for example...)

thanks

Daz

I have the same question and have started looking at tracking devices used by Falcon/ Pigeon flyers. Since they're on birds they have to be small and light as well as withstand the elements so that might be an answer.

I have Garmin GTU 10. It works great, not the smallest but it's accurate. Only downfall it's supposedly going to be unusable sometime in late '15 when AT&T drops their service.

EMCSQUAR said:
I have Garmin GTU 10. It works great, not the smallest but it's accurate. Only downfall it's supposedly going to be unusable sometime in late '15 when AT&T drops their service.

I also use the Garmin. Like the ease of on/off, as I.have two quads. Like the separate battery. Doesn't work in Mexico, which is a bummer for me. Anyone know of a system that would work in both US and MX?

EMCSQUAR said:

And the Tagg is completely dependent on the Tagg service remaining in business. Who knows how long that will last?

I am currently looking into a tracking device used by "birders" and have emailed the manufacturer to get more information. It seems the 3 products range in weight from 14-17 grams and are about 2 1/2 inches long, 1 inch wide and maybe 1/8 inch thick.
I'll let y'all know what I find out...

I also heard the Garmin was being deprecated due to a pending winddown by AT&T of whatever network it was designed to run on (GPRS). Probably OK for the time being, but getting harder to find, and who knows if AT&T will stop provisioning devices earlier than the 2015 shutdown date.

I have the Garmin unit as well and it's great, but I don't know that I'd buy a new one at this point as ElGuano and EMC point out. The "TK102B" GPS tracker found on ebay and other outlets seems to be a very popular option among Phantom owners. You can find numerous threads about it here.

I want to report back on the little GPS tracker i bought for the bird. It's the TK102 all over amazon for $35. Then i bought a H2O wireless sim card for $0.01, chatted with their support to get me a new number (free, no activation fee). refilled $10 (expire in 90 days, the longest i found) and it worked like a champ. I did initiate the card from a regular cell phone to get it working. pop it in the gps tracker and voila!

total $45 for the next 3 mo. hopefully i'd never need to use it...

I was wondering if you installed the DJI 2.4g bluetooth datalink on your phantom
and since it uses an iPad with google maps, which shows you where it is, couldn't
you just use that to track your phantom down.

Anyone ever hear of this one? Trackimo
I could have sworn I first saw this name on these forums but Search pulled up nothing.

What little reviews there are (2) on Amazon are positive but also not verified buyers so who knows if they're even legit.

$100 with a year included, $5 a month after.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going with Drone-Mods UAV Finder when they come back in stock but this has my interest.
Unfortunately my time on Google has been a waste.

aaaand I just noticed that Amazon doesn't have them in stock anymore... they were earlier today :?
I never imagined finding a tracker would be such a pita.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik