GPS Tracker Risk Analysis

Reaction score
Driven only by paranoia, I am considering attaching one of these to my Phantom 2 to mitigate fly away.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Recharg ... hoto-12-20

I am interested in others' views on whether any of these factors (or add your own) could be good reason not to bother :

1. Adds another 50g to the craft
2. Could the frequencies that this transmits/receives on in any way interfere with control or navigation of the craft ?
3. Comes with a strong magnet on one side (for attaching to things). Compasses dont like magnets.
4. Positioning could be a problem. My P2 has a compass on one leg and two legs have aerials. For balance this needs to be as central as possible, I am already carrying H33d/GoPro and want to add video TX at some point

Is anyone using this kit, and if so how have you positioned it to deal with the above?

Comments welcome.

I added a 50g tracker to my P2/Hero4/FPV and flew with it for the first time yesterday, it did fine. I added it to the leg with no compass or antennas, the P2 compensated for the extra weight on that leg.

There are many versions of trackers listed on this forum. Some smaller than what you have shown. Mine is below.
Never fly your quad without a tracker.

Attachments

• Tracker on.JPG
    Tracker on.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 641
I would be grateful for a link to your tracker.

Thanks Happyflyer. That is small AND light.

Found an amazon link in the UK. The only downside is it is 3* the price of the TK102B.

Have you found any issues with interference ?

Does it work OK with smartphone apps etc?

4wd said:
Is there anyway these can work without mobile phone signal?
Round here 90% of places don't have coverage.
Bummer. I woud have to say no.

Hughie said:
Thanks Happyflyer. That is small AND light.

Found an amazon link in the UK. The only downside is it is 3* the price of the TK102B.

Have you found any issues with interference ?

Does it work OK with smartphone apps etc?
Yes, does cost more. Never gave me any problem. I have tested it with both my Android smartphone and tablet. Pops up a nice map of where quad it located. There is an app for it, but I never got it to work. Something about not having data on the T-Mobile account I use with it.

Happyflyer said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-V16-The-Smallest-Smart-GPS-Tracker-Long-Standby-Time-SOS-Dual-Talk-Plarform-/131033283911
This is one location. Search around for it. I have found it to cost less in other places in the past.

What is the procedure to get a sim card for one of these? Just go to a local Verizon? How much is the monthly cost?

Happyflyer said:
Well since your profile does not show where, Country, you are located, we need that info first.

My bad. I am in the USA. I haven't had any experience with getting prepaid cards. I basically asked the same question in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16762&start=70#p279316
I have that profile updated now. :)

That link you listed does have info in it to read.
Somewhere on this forum I described the process of setting mine up. I'll see if I can find it. My set up was "involved."

4wd said:
Is there anyway these can work without mobile phone signal?
Round here 90% of places don't have coverage.

I bought this one:
http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-trac ... -recovery/

Expensive but no extra charges. And it weighs only 12 grams. They make one for pets which has a larger "tag". The one for RC models is quite small. I won't fly without it.

Attachments

• IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 333
terrylowe,
I found my post on setting mine up. It is below,
"To get my T-sim working I picked up an AT&T GoPhone, unlocked it and activated the sim in the phone. Pulled it and placed in tracker. Works good."
If I remember the reason for using the phone was when the T-Mobile sim was activated they sent some info that I had to answer. Could not have done that without sim being in a phone. It may have had something to do with the on-line account for checking balance or adding $$$$ to account.

dirkclod said:
+1 on location dude [ya left out the S ] :D I don't care what brand ya get or what ya pay but DO HAVE ONE ,tracker that is :cool:

:eek: Fixed now.

Happyflyer said:
"To get my T-sim working I picked up an AT&T GoPhone, unlocked it and activated the sim in the phone. Pulled it and placed in tracker. Works good."

To unlock, did you have to call ATT and ask them to unlock it or was there another trick?

johncanfield said:
I added a 50g tracker to my P2/Hero4/FPV and flew with it for the first time yesterday, it did fine. I added it to the leg with no compass or antennas, the P2 compensated for the extra weight on that leg.

Whats your flight time with that setup?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1