GPS tracker - RF-V16

Does anyone know how to get the text response to get position (dw#) to respond back with a google maps link. Mine was doing this at first until I did a factory reset because I wanted to change the master number. Before it was reporting a gps123.org link when i had the online tracking feature on and when i turned the tracking feature off it would text me back a google maps link (which was great). Now after the master reset with the tracking feature off it text me back a trackanywhere.org. I can not get it to do the google maps link! Does anyone know how to fix this??

I was leaving the RF-V16 on in order to test how long the battery would last and will it send me a low battery warning. I noticed at some point about a day in, the position became inaccurate. Eventually I noticed the position was reported as "LBS" not "GPS". Apparently the GPS receiver went offline and would not update. I sent the unit a command to reboot and the position started reporting as GPS again and was accurate. This is something to watch for if you are getting inaccurate position reports.

jdpowell said:
I was leaving the RF-V16 on in order to test how long the battery would last and will it send me a low battery warning. I noticed at some point about a day in, the position became inaccurate. Eventually I noticed the position was reported as "LBS" not "GPS". Apparently the GPS receiver went offline and would not update. I sent the unit a command to reboot and the position started reporting as GPS again and was accurate. This is something to watch for if you are getting inaccurate position reports.
Yea, i figured it out. The tracker was inside and was not getting a GPS signal so it was reporting back "LBS" and when that happenes it goes through the trackanywhere site. I took it outside and sent the dw# command again and it gave me the google maps link with very accurate gps coordinates.

On another note this thing is very accurate with gps. I gave it to my kids and told them to hide it somewhere outside in my housing complex and the tracker got me within 10-15 feet, then i would call it and listen for the ring and i would find it right away. Good safety for any mishaps!!!!!

The Google map link it sends me when I text it for position, I cannot click on and use in google maps. The coordinates are correct but link does not show up as a link and even if I cut and paste it into a browser it will not work. Maybe it is an issue with my particular RF-V16 or my phone text message app. The Android tracking app works so I can use that for now.

jdpowell said:
The Google map link it sends me when I text it for position, I cannot click on and use in google maps. The coordinates are correct but link does not show up as a link and even if I cut and paste it into a browser it will not work. Maybe it is an issue with my particular RF-V16 or my phone text message app. The Android tracking app works so I can use that for now.
You should be able to put the long and lat in the android google maps. Just put in long,lat and it will pin balloon that spot and will also of coarse show where you are.

shartlza said:
...The tracker was inside and was not getting a GPS signal so it was reporting back "LBS" and when that happenes it goes through the trackanywhere site. I took it outside and sent the dw# command again and it gave me the google maps link with very accurate gps coordinates.

On another note this thing is very accurate with gps. I gave it to my kids and told them to hide it somewhere outside in my housing complex and the tracker got me within 10-15 feet, then i would call it and listen for the ring and i would find it right away. Good safety for any mishaps!!!!!
If, and it should, work the same as mine watch the lights flashing. When I first turn mine on both the yellow and the blue lights flash slowly. As soon as the unit picks up the phone connection the yellow light goes to quick flash. The blue or GPS blinks slow until it gets enough satellites. Then it also goes to quick flash. This is one way to tell if you have a connection to phone line and GPS satellites.
When on a charger, both are slow flashing.

Hi, Can someone tell me the name of the Android App so I can find it in the Google Play Store? I can't get my phone to find it from the funny square pattern that came with it.

I've been using the main website at www.gps123.org but I would like to try the Android app to see if it suits me better.

It is called Track Anywhere. The only way I was able to get it was to download a a QR code reader for my phone and then scan the Android APP QR code on the back of the RF-V16 manual.

Many thanks for that. I've now gone the same route and have it installed on my phone. It seems rather more crude than the website www.gps123.org, but is easier to read on my phone!
I had to change the settings on my phone to allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store, and then it still wouldn't load until I used a file manager to load it from the "downloads" section. Got there in the end, so many thanks,
Mark

This looks really interesting - especially against some other trackers.

I wonder if anyone has installed it within the Phantom shell - perhaps if needed removing the tracker's casing. Furthermore, perhaps it could be powered from on-board.

Philip

Is there some secret to turning the power off for the RF-V16? I have pressed the Power Off button momentarily, for 3 seconds and even 10 seconds and it is still blinking.

jsinco said:
Is there some secret to turning the power off for the RF-V16? I have pressed the Power Off button momentarily, for 3 seconds and even 10 seconds and it is still blinking.
That is odd. Just a push and hold for under 3 seconds turns mine on or off. I get the silly music and off it goes, or on. Has yours always done this or is this something new? Also, may sound like dumb question but, is it plugged into charger when you are trying to turn it off?

jsinco said:
Yes, mine has always done this. No it is not plugged in. Maybe I have a bad switch.
Try a hard push and hold. Looks like outside button just not making contact with micro switch inside. Agree, you have a bad switch.

Re: GPS tracker - RF-V16 UK Sim Cards

I am in UK and have the Rf-V16, but need advice about SIM contracts.

I have a cheap and cheerful backup mobile phone with a PAYG sim card. This costs £10, no monthly fee, and requires only that I use it once a month (just send myself a brief text): it's now 2 years old, and I've never had to top up.

Speaking to O2, Three (321 sim), Tesco and Vodaphone - none of them understand the logistics of using a sim just for tracking, and all promise their cards will work - at a monthly price - usually at least £10. From what I can deduce, the 321 Sim from 3 (which looks like the cheapest deal) only uses 2G - a facility which they sub-contract from Orange. However, Orange's coverage using 2G seems to be minimal, and is getting smaller by the day.

Sam's Blog suggests the RF-V16 uses only 2G. Is this true? - in which case Orange or 3 would be little help given their poor coverage.

It seems ludicrous to pay a monthly fee for a service which might never be called upon. For the same price I could probably take out insurance against losing my quad-bird.

Any ideas?

Philip

Re: GPS tracker - RF-V16 UK Sim Cards

docramage said:
I am in UK and have the Rf-V16, but need advice about SIM contracts.

I have a cheap and cheerful backup mobile phone with a PAYG sim card. This costs £10, no monthly fee, and requires only that I use it once a month (just send myself a brief text): it's now 2 years old, and I've never had to top up.

Speaking to O2, Three (321 sim), Tesco and Vodaphone - none of them understand the logistics of using a sim just for tracking, and all promise their cards will work - at a monthly price - usually at least £10. From what I can deduce, the 321 Sim from 3 (which looks like the cheapest deal) only uses 2G - a facility which they sub-contract from Orange. However, Orange's coverage using 2G seems to be minimal, and is getting smaller by the day.

Sam's Blog suggests the RF-V16 uses only 2G. Is this true? - in which case Orange or 3 would be little help given their poor coverage.

It seems ludicrous to pay a monthly fee for a service which might never be called upon. For the same price I could probably take out insurance against losing my quad-bird.

Any ideas?

Philip
Have a look at giffgaff. They allow PAYG which does not dissapear (as far as I can tell). I use one in my tracker and have one for my Flytrex.
Also I think you can get a free £5 on your topup if you use The Kitchen Table's link
https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/simonnewton56

Agreed that the GiffGaff deal (02) is probably the best option.
Saying that I get much better signal from Three than O2 where I live. The Three deal works in Europe without any additional charges if you venture further afield...

Joeg1937 said:
Doesn't this throw off the CG of the bird ?

The CoG was not "on" to start with. The quad has an intertial platform which (provided it has been calibrated and is not in manual flight mode) is used to keep it level when there is no stick input.

I bought Rf-v16 and did some tests last night. First thing I did was teather my P2V to a heavy 4x4 to keep it from flying away. I placed the tracker on the bottom side of the drone to keep it away from the GPS antenna. for testing, I taped it in place with blue painters tape. I took off and hovered at about 10' off the ground and left it in GPS mode. Winds were at 5-10mph and variable in direction.

• Test 1: Hovering with the tracker on. Pass. No issues noted. The drone stayed in place.
  • Test 2: Hovering: Requested status from the tracker. No issues noted.
  • Test 3:Hovering: Requested location from tracker. No drone issues noted. Tracker highly inaccurate. Repeated multiple times with the same poor tracking results. Error >1000'.
  • Test 4: Hovering: Turned on tracker auto data upload. This send location information to the server. Set the time frame for 1 min between uploads. No issues noted.
  • Test 5: Landed, motors stopped, power still on. Requested tracking info. No drone issues noted. Tracking information more accurate. Error <50'. Could hear the tracker's speaker when calling it from the reported location. This would make finding it easier.
  • Test 6: Took the drone into the woods and laid it on its side with the batteries on. Tracker information became innacurate again (>1000' error in opposite direction of test 3).
  • Test 7: Removed the tracker from the drone, moved the drone about 100' away, left the tracker in the woods. Same innaccuracy as test 6.
Conclusion:
  • Flying the drone with the Rf-v16 attached, even in auto send mode, had no adverse effects during teathered hovers.
  • The accuracy of the Rf-v16 is poor. When it works, it is great, however, when it doesn't, you have a 2000+' diameter circle to work through.

Attachments

• 2015-08-05 19.00.38.jpg
    2015-08-05 19.00.38.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 390

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl