GPS tracker on the cheap?

Reaction score
I've been looking into the pitfalls of the TK102/TK102-2/TK102b.
Given that I am in UK, and this seller is UK- I should be able to swerve the clone issues.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TK102-TK102-2 ... 20d74ecc98

Ok Rilot, I am ready for a short sharp telling off ;) But seriously give me a take on this. [Your correspondent on the other forum on this issue HAS got a non GPS clone! ]

Ok, forgive me if I've missed another thread, but what are the pitfalls and clone issues? Such a tracker sounds good.
Please explain... Do I need to beware?

J

wbrownj said:
Ok, forgive me if I've missed another thread, but what are the pitfalls and clone issues? Such a tracker sounds good.
Please explain... Do I need to beware?

J
Yes- I think there are issues. I'm hoping Rilot will explain. He seems to be the pioneer on this one!

OK, that guy is the guy I bought mine from. It's a good clone and has the GPS chip in it. It works fine although it's a little fiddly to use.
I stuck a GiffGaff sim in it and it just works. SMS it with the right code (it tell you in the manual) and it SMS you back with it's lat/long. The tracking function where you see it in real time doesn't seem to work too well though.
I'm happy with mine as I send it an SMS before I fly to check it's working and then if I ever get a flyaway I will just SMS it again to get it's location.
It's a bit heavy by the way. It has some weights in it to make it "feel" of higher quality. I've taken mine apart and stuck the bits in a little project box.

Many thanks rilot. The meaning of the word 'genuine' seems to have morphed!

Would it be worth time trying to find a genuine Xexon 102. I wonder if this is a simple way to identify a clone.

I've found the blindingly simple answer to finding out if the tracker is genuine or clone.

Ask the seller----------------------then additionally ask if the device IMIE will check out on the manufacturer web site.

Not one single reply from any ebay seller to date :eek:

I thought an update might be useful. I went for this item on ebay;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TK102-B-Mini- ... 19e36d40f8

Simply because this guy was the only seller to reply to a request for information as to if the device was fitted with a GPS chip.
He wrote it had the chip fitted- but declared it was a clone!

The accuracy of this thing is amazing and it has huge battery life. It weighs in at 62 g all up.

This model has a new firmware that does wonderful things. When powered up, after some 5 minutes it goes to 'deep sleep'. That shuts down the LEDs and the GPS etc. Hence the long battery life. Looks like some 48 hrs on a charge
A cell phone call to the device is rejected at the 2nd ring- so nil cost. The tracker then awakes and sends a text giving it's location the last time that the GPS was awake. About 1 min later, when the system is fully awake, it sends another text giving it's exact true location.

Apart from my Phantom, the best toy I ever bought!

Will the tracker you blokes purchased and use in the UK work in the USA? Sorry if that's a stupid question. :oops:

PF

PhantomFan said:
Will the tracker you blokes purchased and use in the UK work in the USA? Sorry if that's a stupid question. :oops:

PF
Not a stupid question at all :) Yes. In fact if I authorise YOUR cell phone to allow MY device to respond to your request for location it will respond.
Bit of fiddling with country codes[might need help on this], but how do you fancy a test run?

Theory here is you send me your cell phone number [pm]- I set you up as authorised, and then I send you the tracker phone number to you [pm] You just then enter the Lat/Lon into goggle earth= and that's my kitchen!

A final word on this tk102b tracker.

I've had it continuously powered now for 4 days [96 hours!]- and it is still reporting 50% battery. Stunning!
It has not just been sitting idle, I have interrogated it some 30 times. It's never failed to reply twice- first text is the last recorded position, second text is the true position. Worst report was 5 mtrs off but most around 2 mtrs- variation down to cloud cover I think.

The weight I gave previously was with the magnetic back. All up weight with standard back is 59 g.

Amazing! Thanks for the update. If I ever load up a bunch of expensive bits in my Phantom or F450, I'll be sure to add one of these exact-same trackers from the same vendor. Sounds like a real winner!

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4