GPS Tracker Help

Mori55 said:
ocphantom said:
I mounted it between the legs on the left side, one zip tie around each leg with the gps tracker in the middle. Flew it today and the gps tracker has too much surface area for my liking and made it easy for the wind to push it along. Going to try velcro it flush against the phantom belly behind the camera
I was thinking samething , but I wonder if it would make it hard to squeeze the battery. Remember it can't touch the gimbal frame.
For some reason the on off button doesn't seem to work ?

Mine also did not work. I checked with the reseller here. He immediately response with full confidence that the on-off button was disabled on purpose by the manufacturer because too may complain about it. He asked me to treat it like a phone..i never turn off my phone during charge..regardless, mine works as per tests. need a clear sky for definite/acceptable accuracy tho.

yes, thats the risk..i didnt use velcro as it might come off during flyaway crash...and it may be a bit wobbly too.

plasmo said:
Has anyone tried the Marco Polo Tracker ? Higher price but NO monthly fees:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008MG5GR ... t-supplies
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What method does it use to send back the GPS coordinates? Usually the monthly fee is associated with using the cellular service to feed back the GPS location to your smartphone. If there is no monthly fee, that makes me think it is proximity based... which means you have to be somewhat near it to find it...

srandall25 said:
plasmo said:
Has anyone tried the Marco Polo Tracker ? Higher price but NO monthly fees:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008MG5GR ... t-supplies
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What method does it use to send back the GPS coordinates? Usually the monthly fee is associated with using the cellular service to feed back the GPS location to your smartphone. If there is no monthly fee, that makes me think it is proximity based... which means you have to be somewhat near it to find it...

Looks like it's a two-way radio with 2-mile range in "ideal conditions" (wide open space). An owner is reporting 1/2 mile range in his wooded area.

Aqeel200 said:
for those interested. this is how i mount my Global Tracker TK-102 on my vision+

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14976

showed my LHS my GPS Tracker mod and where I drilled the bottom part of the P2V+ body. He says, my mod does not violate any warranty as it did not drill the inner structured wall as well as very near any circuit board. According to him, if there is any warranty claim, DJI will warrant it even with that drill mod..that is a relief. i will hold on to his words on that.

Aqeel200 said:
yes, thats the risk..i didnt use velcro as it might come off during flyaway crash...and it may be a bit wobbly too.

Mine sits firm flat against the belly with Velcro. It's only 2oz and has a tiny profile laying flat so no wobble.

Also if your phantom crashes the gps tracker should be next to your phantoms yard sale.

Mori55 said:
ocphantom said:
I mounted it between the legs on the left side, one zip tie around each leg with the gps tracker in the middle. Flew it today and the gps tracker has too much surface area for my liking and made it easy for the wind to push it along. Going to try velcro it flush against the phantom belly behind the camera
I was thinking samething , but I wonder if it would make it hard to squeeze the battery. Remember it can't touch the gimbal frame.
For some reason the on off button doesn't seem to work ?

I can pull my battery no problem. Doesn't touch the gimbal. I even gently pushed the gimbal to its full range of motion to make sure.

On/off don't work but from reading others post its not supposed to. Just yank the battery.

If have a genuine xexun Tk 102-2 btw.

I'm thinking of going with a SPOT Trace tracker, you can find some info here:

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128

Weight: 87.9 g (3.1 oz)
Height: 6.83 cm (2.69 in)
Width: 5.13 cm (2.02 in)
Thickness: 2.14 cm (.95 in)

It uses 4-AAA batteries and they are good for almost a year in the device.

and I love that it rely on Satellite to send it's position data to there server, you can then receive either a text or go directly on a map using there mobile app and track it's position. With the basic subscription you can set the update time at 5 mins so it's not that bad....

r0ot5 said:
I'm thinking of going with a SPOT Trace tracker, you can find some info here:

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128

Weight: 87.9 g (3.1 oz)
Height: 6.83 cm (2.69 in)
Width: 5.13 cm (2.02 in)
Thickness: 2.14 cm (.95 in)

It uses 4-AAA batteries and they are good for almost a year in the device.

and I love that it rely on Satellite to send it's position data to there server, you can then receive either a text or go directly on a map using there mobile app and track it's position. With the basic subscription you can set the update time at 5 mins so it's not that bad....
4x aaa? that must be one heavy tracker for your AUV...

I almost bought a Tagg but while reading some reviews I saw that if you ever decide you want to even temporarily suspend service, your Tagg is now useless forever.
You cannot reactivate it.

So if, say,
you live in an area where you know you won't be flying your Phantom for the winter,
or if you want to try out another device,
or you crash your bird and know it may be some months before you replace it,
you must keep your Tagg active otherwise you can go ahead and throw it out. :roll:

Is that the norm with these GPS devices?

dont think it is so for SIM Card based Tracker. if prepaid, on expiry, you just replace with a new SIM card. I dont know if TAGG uses CDMA (does not require SIM), hence maybe you cant use it anymore on expiry. Just my opinion as I do not know TAGG uses CDMA or any other technology.

Global Tracker TK-102 uses SIM cards.

I just got one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161145659880?ss ... 1497.l2649

and wow, I'm impressed. This think is tiny, it has a full GPS chip inside and you use a GSM simcard to communicate with it. If you have a service plan with data, you can track the device via a website or mobile app on your phone. I got a T-Mobile pay as you go simcard and added $10 to the accound. I can send a text message to it for 10 cents each message and it reply's with its current GPS location and link to a google map with its location marked.

The thing is so small I could put it inside the phantoms case if I wanted to however I'm not going to as it wold be a pain to charge it up and turn it on/off. It weighs practically nothing. I'm planning to see what the smallest watertight plastic container is that I can find and then just velcro it onto the phantom, this way it can still be tracked if it ends up in the water (I'm in Florida right near the ocean)

MikesTooLz said:
I just got one of these:

and wow, I'm impressed. This think is tiny, it has a full GPS chip inside and you use a GSM simcard to communicate with it. If you have a service plan with data, you can track the device via a website or mobile app on your phone. I got a T-Mobile pay as you go simcard and added $10 to the accound. I can send a text message to it for 10 cents each message and it reply's with its current GPS location and link to a google map with its location marked.

The thing is so small I could put it inside the phantoms case if I wanted to however I'm not going to as it wold be a pain to charge it up and turn it on/off. It weighs practically nothing. I'm planning to see what the smallest watertight plastic container is that I can find and then just velcro it onto the phantom, this way it can still be tracked if it ends up in the water (I'm in Florida right near the ocean)
Yep i also have this one coming to me.
It also has a speaker so once found you call it and find where the ringing is coming from.

MikesTooLz said:
I just got one of these:

Why a waterproof case ? Phantoms not waterproof . I'm sure if you don't find pretty quick with the gps , then it's probally underwater or completely destroyed.

Mori55 said:
Why a waterproof case ? Phantoms not waterproof . I'm sure if you don't find pretty quick with the gps , then it's probably underwater or completely destroyed.

So you are saying that if you were to see your phantom crash into water you would not even try to recover it. Just say oh well its trashed, just leave it in the water and lets go buy a new one?

I still would like to... you know, recover the memory card at the very least. GPS is not waterproof so once it hits the water, thats it game over on finding it. I'll have to see what container I can find that works best for this and then test how well it doubles to keep the phantom afloat without needing to add anything additional. Will also mean I only need a new phantom not a new phantom and GPS tracker as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl