GPS Tracker Help

Took the plunge and purchased a Trax this morning. Still waiting on my Vision+ to arrive but at least I have the insurance policy on order.

Farside said:
I emailed Trax asking if Amazon will get them in May as well.. we'll see.
Got an email back this morning.
" I cannot give you any information on how and when Amazon plans to ship the units as they act completely independently from us. "
I don't want to risk having to wait till July so....

I just ordered the global tracker 102. 33.00 amazon prime, will have tomorrow. If works great if not , it's only 33.00.

Mori55 said:
I just ordered the global tracker 102. 33.00 amazon prime, will have tomorrow. If works great if not , it's only 33.00.
I'm sure it will work, but you will need a sim card of course as well... let us know what option sim you got (plan and cost) and how well it works for you...

Ok , going to see what tmobile has. AT&T wants a contract from what saw. I want to pay couple months in advance. Don't always fly in the winter.

Some FYI for you,Trax will go into sleep mode to save battery after five minutes

I personally bought a http://www.pocketfinder.com/, It will go to sleep after 30 minutes of idle time, but that is plenty of time to lock in your location and get going. Check it out and let me know your thoughts......

srandall25 said:
Aqeel200 said:
added info on Global Tracker.

See #9 on here http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=70
That took me to a 'Bye Bye Vision' thread which i didn't see any message with a #9 in it...

cut n paste 1

Global Tracker TK-102 test no. 2

1. Clear sunny day.
2. Tracker is in the house where phone signal is still good
3. I called in from my work place.
4. SMS returned with lat/long links.
5. Open waze map
Result: It shows me that the location of the Global Tracker is about 5km from my house
6. Open Google map.
Result: same as above.

took the Global Tracker and put it outside of the house and retest from step 1.

5. Open WAZE - it was accurate as last nite. it shows exactly where the Global Tracker TK102 should be - at my house with the address
6. Open Googlemap - ditto. it shows exactly where the Global Tracker TK102 should be - at my house with the address

Conclusion for this test only:
In case of a flyaway and it landed somewhere where GPS signal is bad, the Global Tracker TK-102 GPS signal is insufficient, then the location is not accurate. This may be so if when a flyaway occurs, it end up landing somewhere that is not open-air or have signal blocking it...then if you go to the location given, you may not find your phantom.

In case of a flyaway, we just hope that it has sufficient GPS signal(or triangulation) needed to be accurate. If someone were to find it and bring it home before we can get to it, and the GPS signal(triangulation) needed is insufficient, then we may be misled into looking for it at the wrong place. In this case, we can just hope that the person finds it can have the courtesy to give me(my phone number is written on the phantom) a call to return it and collect his reward.

This is just my test and conclusion about the Global Tracker TK-102 and is not referring to DJI GPS Tracking capability nor any other brand of GPS tracker.

just sharing.

srandall25 said:
Aqeel200 said:
added info on Global Tracker.

See #9 on here http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=70
That took me to a 'Bye Bye Vision' thread which i didn't see any message with a #9 in it...

cut and paste no. 2.

3rd simple Global Tracker Test

1. Clear sunny day.
2. Tracker is in the house where phone signal is still good
3. I called in from my work place.
4. SMS returned with lat/long links.

the TK-102 is near a closed house window inside my house...no thick drapes or sofa blocking it but still considered inside the house. Only thing blocking from clear sky is the car porch.

5. Open WAZE - My phone GPS really shows my house as the location of the phone accurately. But the Global Tracker is located in the house infront of mine, across the street.

6. Open Googlemap - ditto.

Blue dot shows my Phone location, maybe off by 1/2 a house. The red shows the location of the GPS Tracker TK-102

Seems accuracy has improved when placing the TK-102 near a window only blocked by the car porch compared to when the tracker is deep in the house.

How does this test relates to flyaway? Maybe not...different scenario altogether..

just sharing

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-09-16-14-30 v2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-09-16-14-30 v2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 392
jlarcher said:
Some FYI for you,Trax will go into sleep mode to save battery after five minutes

I personally bought a http://www.pocketfinder.com/, It will go to sleep after 30 minutes of idle time, but that is plenty of time to lock in your location and get going. Check it out and let me know your thoughts......
I assumed that you can still find the location of trackers (equipped with sleep mode) even hours after it fell to rest. Is this not true?
While not hibernating, are they not constantly updating a server somewhere their location so you can later retrieve this info?
That was my assumption.

Aqeel200 said:
Seems accuracy has improved when placing the TK-102 near a window only blocked by the car porch compared to when the tracker is deep in the house.

How does this test relates to flyaway? Maybe not...different scenario altogether..

From what I've learned with anything GPS, as long as it has an unobstructed view of the sky it's going to get satellites. And what I've also learned is that even the roof of my car (while inside) can block signals.

Don't think it has anything to do with flyaways though.

Farside said:
jlarcher said:

I assumed that you can still find the location of trackers (equipped with sleep mode) even hours after it fell to rest. Is this not true?
While not hibernating, are they not constantly updating a server somewhere their location so you can later retrieve this info?
That was my assumption.
Sleep mode should not be an issue... The app stores and provides its last known location prior to sleep mode. If it is moved from that location, it wakes up and beacons its new location again. Sleep mode actually works to save battery life by not continuing to beacon the same location repeatedly...

srandall25 said:
Farside said:
jlarcher said:

That was my assumption.
Sleep mode should not be an issue... The app stores and provides its last known location prior to sleep mode. If it is moved from that location, it wakes up and beacons its new location again. Sleep mode actually works to save battery life by not continuing to beacon the same location repeatedly...
Right on, thanks.

I mounted it between the legs on the left side, one zip tie around each leg with the gps tracker in the middle. Flew it today and the gps tracker has too much surface area for my liking and made it easy for the wind to push it along. Going to try velcro it flush against the phantom belly behind the camera

lilwheat said:
I've had this one on pre-order for over a year:
https://www.sticknfind.com/Pages/?p=01B ... FACDD490A3

I'm thinking it's not happening. Their site says it will be shipping at the end of March, no year is given.
The fact that the battery lasts 2 months is the only plus to this one. You have to be within bluetooth rang of it to get its location. This means a long hard search for you that would be almost the same as tracking down the phantom itself by just getting back within wifi rang of it with your transmitter and mobile phone but with the added ability to search for it for two months before the battery dies.

The good thing with GSM enabled GPS trackers is no matter how far away they go, as long as they are in range of cellphone service, they will answer back to you with exact location.

ocphantom said:
I mounted it between the legs on the left side, one zip tie around each leg with the gps tracker in the middle. Flew it today and the gps tracker has too much surface area for my liking and made it easy for the wind to push it along. Going to try velcro it flush against the phantom belly behind the camera
I was thinking samething , but I wonder if it would make it hard to squeeze the battery. Remember it can't touch the gimbal frame.
For some reason the on off button doesn't seem to work ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl