Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GPS Tracker for P3

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Ingsoc75, May 20, 2015.

1. Ingsoc75

Has anybody used one yet?

2. delirious

Yes, Trackimo. I like it. It updates every minute. First year of service is free. 50 bucks a year after that. It has sos capbilities, so I can give it to my child and have them carry it when we go places. No problem attaching to and using with the phantom. Doesn't change flight characteristics. Mounted to a plate I made to protect the gimbal from a direct hit. Iphone and ipad capable location that it pretty instant. So, if I'm in the field, open up the app in iOS and see where it is. Nice thing about it it if I have ground station at a later date and assign a mission that looses transmission of the display, I can open my app and see where it is every minute or so.

[​IMG]

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

bobmyers likes this.
  4. Calvin

Haven't heard of Trackimo before. Looks cool and cheaper than using Spot tracking device.

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

#5 msinger, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. tonyd9448

Here's mine on my P2V+. It's a FR-V16 (bought on Amazon). I have a SIM card in it, and put $10 on it to last me for 3 months.
    [​IMG]

7. Deadlift

How does that not interfere with VPS? I understood it needed a full view under the sensors for the sonics and camera?

8. nhoover

I was a beta tester for Flytrex Live last year and according to http://www.flytrex.com/shop they already support P3. I can tell you their Live 3G product works great (requires data connection of course).

BigPig likes this.
  9. manofword

I use Trackimo with great confidence. Already saved me from a loss, P2, after a flyaway. Won't fly without it now.

10. delirious

[​IMG]

Don't see how. GPS works fine

11. RyanK

I would like to know more about what service you're using (assuming you're in USA).

Also where did your mount for the tracker come from? Is that something that would work with the P3?

12. UKFlyer

I have the rf v16 tracker which i plan to velcro in place where the vps sensors are, my vps is turned off anyhow as i don't fly indoors. I'll post a picture up later once fitted.

13. JayB

I have just bought a Rf V16 and was trying to find out how much data I am likely to use. I believe 3G currently have a pay as you go sim only package with 500mb of data a month for £5 and what ever is left on the card just rolls over. is 500mb enough? I wasn't planning on using it to update itself every 10 minutes, just when I send a text.

Also with regard to mounting it I bought a mount off ebay, see link below, and was going to mount it as shown in the picture, any thoughts, feed back on this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dji-phant...182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a50549dfe

14. tonyd9448

I actually have a Sim card from h2o Wireless. I got it on Amazon for a penny, then put $10 on it.
    As for the mount, my neighbor has a 3d printer and came up with that for me. I'll be testing the fitment on my p3 tomorrow if I get it.

15. tonyd9448

I would be hesitant to mount it there on the P3 as there are four antennas on this, one on each leg.

16. tonyd9448

I wouldn't do that either. I found gps signal hard to acquire through the bulk of the battery.

17. Dome

18. Ingsoc75

Thanks. I think I'm gonna try Trackimo.

19. packerman8

Where would you mount Trackimo on a P3?

20. JayB

Is that just your opinion or is there any evidence that it could cause a problem. I did wonder about that myself hence why I wouldn't use it to send an update every 10 minutes, I believe that the GPS would only activate if I sent it a text and I would only do that if I lost control of the P3 so at that point any interference would be irrelevant..... that's my logic.....:confused: