GPS Tracker?? Anyone using these with the P3 ?

Hi Jerry,

Does it actually take you right up to it like advertised? How far away did your wife hide them? Any problems with mounting the transmitters? How are the transmitters fastened on? Are you still happy with that system?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

Yes, took me right up to them. Wife took them about 3-4 miles away. I showed her my flight plan/path. She drove away, dumped one in a ditch and the other in a corn field. The hardest part was finding out about where around the flight path the bird supposedly went down. Once I got close enough, within about 2 miles, the receiver picked them up and it was simply a matter of following the arrow. Mounted it on my camera guard (I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance). Love it, wouldn't trade it. Keep in mind, I haven't had to use it in a real case scenario "yet". And I do some long runs.

Jerry

Hi. I bought a cheap GPS tracker off ebay and mounted it with cable ties

Attachments

• 1449131637973.jpg
    1449131637973.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 318
Your P3 doesn't seem to be balanced now. Two side motors have to take extra load.

Your P3 doesn't seem to be balanced now Side motors will have to take extra load

this is the marco polo mounted on the phantom.
hasn't efected flying one bit
weighd less than one ounce.

this is the marco polo mounted on the phantom.
hasn't efected flying one bit
weighd less than one ounce.
It looks like you might have the 1.75 oz waterproof pet version installed. There is a smaller and lighter non-waterproof Marco Polo unit, 0.42 oz, made for model aircraft that supposedly has a larger battery inside, shown below. It ties onto the Phantom nicely if you have the carbon fiber camera guard.

upload_2015-12-3_10-25-26.png

Last edited:
the one i have is the hybred version.
rc with larger battery.

Does anyone know of a way to mount a Trackimo to the front of the P3P? I'd rather not have it to one side if possible.

Does anyone know of a way to mount a Trackimo to the front of the P3P? I'd rather not have it to one side if possible.

Anyone? Does it make a difference if its on the side or not? Thanks in advance for advice,

Anyone? Does it make a difference if its on the side or not? Thanks in advance for advice,

Generally it's desirable to add stuff as close to the center of gravity.
Mounting on the side is done by many without any trouble. I can understand arguments why one would not want to mount it on the same side as the compass (sensor), not to obstruct GPS/VPS or gimbal/camera. But that a few grams on the left/right would make it unstable and let two engines run harder than the other sides engines is not an argument to not mount on this or that side. The machine is by its design made to run the engines with different thrust.
Winds and steering makes different engines work with very different load. Adding 50g on either side does not make any difference. It's a gyrostabilized multirotor aircraft and not a glider!

I finally received my GimbalGuard Trackimo holder 2 days ago, mounted it on the right side of the P3 as shown on their website. Only flew it once so far, I think the motors worked harder fighting the 30kph wind than balancing the extra few grams of Trackimo weight on one side :D

Reactions: bobmyers
I finally received my GimbalGuard Trackimo holder 2 days ago, mounted it on the right side of the P3 as shown on their website. Only flew it once so far, I think the motors worked harder fighting the 30kph wind than balancing the extra few grams of Trackimo weight on one side :D
wazzup dude, where did you order your Gimbal-Guard for the Trackimo Device. thanks

wazzup dude, where did you order your Gimbal-Guard for the Trackimo Device. thanks
That's a bit of an old news now. Gimbal Guard was purchased from a dude I think from Israel who 3D printed it. I am not sure if he still sells it, you will have to google Gimbal Guard. But I don't recommend it anymore because the two ends where the screws are inserted are a bit too thin and weak, one end of mine has already broken off and no longer able to secure the screw.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl